Search

Gay couple accused WN of discrimination

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Gay couple accused WN of discrimination

Disclosure - I post this as a gay activist...

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35489643/...discrimination

Perhaps poor reporting, but 1,000,000 ANNUAL miles on WN?
Old May 23, 2017, 11:59 am

Sounds like they didn't follow the rules for family boarding and got stopped
Old May 23, 2017, 12:06 pm

Sounds like the Family Boarding rules were selectively enforced upon them and they feel it was because they are gay parents.

Not being there and witnessing what happened, it's impossible to know the truth.

Based on what we do know from the various reports, it's difficult to side with either the parents or the ops agent.

I do find Southwest's official statement to be trite and tone deaf, and consider that a mistake.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35489643/...discrimination

Some nasty posts in the comments section there...
Old May 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

“This conversation in the boarding area had nothing to do with discrimination, we welcomed both parents to board the aircraft with their children,” the airline said in a statement. “The parents expressed disappointment that the Family Boarding policy was not applicable to another member of their group."

Sounds to me like the airline thinks the parents wanted to add another (presumably adult) person to their boarding group. And if that is the case I'd have to say it was the parents in the wrong.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The story I saw on Facebook also said that Southwest forced their disabled mother in law to sit in an exit row and wouldn't let her move. It kind of felt like a throw everything at the airline complaint and see if something sticks.

I don't know that it was discrimination rather than just simple bad handling by the agent of confusion over what constitutes family boarding.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by bjk123

Sounds to me like the airline thinks the parents wanted to add another (presumably adult) person to their boarding group. And if that is the case I'd have to say it was the parents in the wrong.
The article says one MIL was there. So 3 kids 2 parents and a MIL.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
The story I saw on Facebook also said that Southwest forced their disabled mother in law to sit in an exit row and wouldn't let her move. It kind of felt like a throw everything at the airline complaint and see if something sticks.

I don't know that it was discrimination rather than just simple bad handling by the agent of confusion over what constitutes family boarding.
Forced a disabled person to sit in an exit row
Old May 23, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
Forced a disabled person to sit in an exit row
Yeah, it was the kind of thing that made me go, "Wait? What? Southwest doesn't assign seats so how could they force her to sit in the exit row?" and unfortunately question the rest of their account.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:37 pm

Thoughts:

The 83 year old mother in law was likely qualified to preboard, but if one parent accompanied her that would leave the other father to contend alone with three kids, two in strollers. So they decided to board all together during Family Boarding.

I've personally seen Family Boarding include multi-generational families, many times. I've also seen reports on social media of grandparents being stopped. The stated policy is (likely intentionally) vague -- it can be interpreted to mean one adult per family (almost never enforced), or one adult per child.

They had three children, and three adults. If they had presented as three sets of child/adult, would they have been challenged?

Ultimately, the problem stems from WN's vague policy and inconsistent policy enforcement.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yeah, it was the kind of thing that made me go, "Wait? What? Southwest doesn't assign seats so how could they force her to sit in the exit row?" and unfortunately question the rest of their account.
They were held by the Ops Agent and were the last people to board the plane. The FAs, knowing of the situation, tried to save seats for them. One of those seats -- the last remaining one on the plane per the family's report -- was in the exit row, and the FAs sat the 83-year old grandmother there. The family called her "frail," but there is no evidence that she was disabled. Presumably she was able to answer the exit row qualification question affirmatively, although it's possible she was never asked.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
They were held by the Ops Agent and were the last people to board the plane. The FAs, knowing of the situation, tried to save seats for them. One of those seats -- the last remaining one on the plane per the family's report -- was in the exit row, and the FAs sat the 83-year old grandmother there. The family called her "frail," but there is no evidence that she was disabled. Presumably she was able to answer the exit row qualification question affirmatively, although it's possible she was never asked.
Thanks for the additional info.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
The family should be buying lotto tickets if the last remaining seat on the plane is an exit row seat.

Is there some clickbait article listing "10 reasons why you should NEVER sit in the exit row" making the rounds on facebook or something?
Old May 23, 2017, 1:10 pm

I frequently see an exit row seat being one of the last taken. One possible reason is that an FA generally stands in that row during boarding, and many passengers (especially on "pleasure" routes, not savvy enough to realize they can ask the FA to move) just pass it by.

My favorite "win" is an exit row with an empty middle. On a non-full flight that happens more than one might expect.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I frequently see an exit row seat being one of the last taken. One possible reason is that an FA generally stands in that row during boarding, and many passengers (especially on "pleasure" routes, not savvy enough to realize they can ask the FA to move) just pass it by.

My favorite "win" is an exit row with an empty middle. On a non-full flight that happens more than one might expect.
Well it depends on which seat in the exit row of left/starboard/pilot side of the plane.

There is absolutely nothing special about the aisle or middle seat next to the infinite legroom seat other than being closer to the exit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.