Companion Pass And Boarding Order

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T-24
No login
Two devices both filled in and ready to click the check in button
Click click
You'll get boarding numbers within 5 of one another. Usually A31-60 or very low B.
No need to save seats, just walk together down the jetway.
In any event, it's bad form to save bulkhead or exit row seats.

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:20 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
I'm still confused about Companions and boarding. Recent flight, I'm waiting to board in A group (not preferred) and guy comes up and joins woman next to me. I ask how they managed to get boarding passes together, and they said "companion pass", and indeed they had their companion-pass cards out, like they'd need to show them to the gate agent (but I don't think they did). I don't know for sure they both had boarding passes to be in that boarding position, but agent let them both board.

Reading this thread, there appears to be no special policy that allows companions to board with their CP holder, if they do not have an as-good or better boarding position. So if you want to board together and with good boarding positions, you both need to buy EB, or both check-in right at the 24hr mark. Do I have that right ?
For a while, Southwest was testing allowing CP travelers to board together (Southwest testing CP’s boarding together). I'm not sure what became of it, but it looks like they did ask people to bring the physical cards - perhaps your flight was one of these (or the CP couple had previously experienced the test and thought that was the normal procedure?)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

So I took my first flight as A-List today. I had A-18. My companion had A-58 (he is a senior). I didn't feel like trying to bend the rules so I lined up with him at A-58.

When they started boarding the flight A1-30, the gate agent actually paged me by name to go see the gate agent. She must have been around A30 when she made the page. So I figure let me walk up alone and see why they wanted me, I thought maybe something was wrong with the ticket or my companion's ticket (he shares the same name as I have so the page could have been for either of us). When I got to her she said "Hi Mr.xxxx you have A-18". I told her "yes I am lining up with my companion" and she seemed to understand.

I like that she was nice to page in case an A-List member wasn't at the gate. But since I was lined up already, this seemed like an easy invitation to try to get my companion to board. Didn't bother... but are they going to page me every time I take a flight with a companion? I don't want to have to find out what they want if it's only because of this. Nonetheless interesting data point.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:57 pm

Agree with previous posters that OP was way out of line to keep this couple from being seated in the exit row. To be clear, as a Companion Pass holder for the past 7 years, I've saved my wife a seat next to me in the exit row dozens of times. However, I will typically pick the exit row where a window seat is already occupied, leaving only a middle. The only folks looking for a middle seat tend to be in the C group and my wife has boarded by then.

Poor form. Don't do that again. Pay for Early Bird if you can't manage to check-in simultaneously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.