Companion Pass And Boarding Order

Old May 16, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Again, for seemingly the millionth time: Rudest person wins.
Unless they get so rude they get thrown off the plane.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:31 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Unless they get so rude they get thrown off the plane.
Almost happened to the jerk saving a row 1 seat Sunday. He finally huffed his way back to row 4 still mouthing off when I wouldn't have any of his seat saving.

The FA and the Capt were having a lengthy discussion, thought the guy was gonna get removed.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Spend the $15 for auto check in. It saves time and stress of worrying about checking in exactly 24 hrs prior to the flight.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Joel Blitzer
Spend the $15 for auto check in. It saves time and stress of worrying about checking in exactly 24 hrs prior to the flight.
Agree! The companion's flight is FREE (except taxes) already.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Related question: I have A-list but my CP does not.

Assume that I still have to checkin first even though my BP # is preassigned?

What is the collective experience with a boarding a child CP with a lower BP at same time as an adult with earlier BP?

We have had mixed success with doing this without CP though some agents have chewed me out. If they dont allow it I will simply save him a choice seat (alas no exit row yet as hes not 14).

Please save your lectures on the rules
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Boraxo

What is the collective experience with a boarding a child CP with a lower BP at same time as an adult with earlier BP?

We have had mixed success with doing this without CP though some agents have chewed me out. If they dont allow it I will simply save him a choice seat (alas no exit row yet as hes not 14).

Too bad. Board at the higher number.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Boarding with Toddler at My Number

Boarding with Toddler at My Number
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Yep, I'm AP and typically board A16-18 (fly too much) and buy Early Bird for my Companion (wife) as soon as possible (Early Bird boarding sequence is believed to be in order of purchase dates). I'm an exit row aisle guy and seldom have any issues saving a center or LUV (2 seat row) seat.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:02 pm

Nope, in your case you're going to want to check in the companion first. Often I don't even bother to check myself in until I'm heading to the airport, but we try to get as close to T-24 as we can for him.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
In the end it did not matter as we got a medical pre-board (my son is recovering from a torn ACL) and took seats 1B & 1C. But good to know drill for future flights.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: none

Show your two boarding passes to the GA and ask (politely) "can my minor board with me?" If the GA says "yes", then go ahead. If GA says "No", then wait till after A-60 or the minor's boarding #, whichever comes first, then go ahead. Either way, you're doing it right.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:16 pm

I'm still confused about Companions and boarding. Recent flight, I'm waiting to board in A group (not preferred) and guy comes up and joins woman next to me. I ask how they managed to get boarding passes together, and they said "companion pass", and indeed they had their companion-pass cards out, like they'd need to show them to the gate agent (but I don't think they did). I don't know for sure they both had boarding passes to be in that boarding position, but agent let them both board.

Reading this thread, there appears to be no special policy that allows companions to board with their CP holder, if they do not have an as-good or better boarding position. So if you want to board together and with good boarding positions, you both need to buy EB, or both check-in right at the 24hr mark. Do I have that right ?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
I'm still confused about Companions and boarding. Recent flight, I'm waiting to board in A group (not preferred) and guy comes up and joins woman next to me. I ask how they managed to get boarding passes together, and they said "companion pass", and indeed they had their companion-pass cards out, like they'd need to show them to the gate agent (but I don't think they did). I don't know for sure they both had boarding passes to be in that boarding position, but agent let them both board.

Reading this thread, there appears to be no special policy that allows companions to board with their CP holder, if they do not have an as-good or better boarding position. So if you want to board together and with good boarding positions, you both need to buy EB, or both check-in right at the 24hr mark. Do I have that right ?
Yes.
RustyShackleford1 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:01 pm

Buying EB or checking in right at t-24 doesn't guarantee consecutive boarding positions. The only way to board together is for the person with the lower position to board with the other person at their higher position.

Southwest tested allowing Companions to board with the CP holder some months ago, but it was never fully adopted as policy (as of this writing).
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:43 pm

We use CP and buy EBCI for both flights the day flights go on sale. We have flown at least 50 flights and only once have we not had consecutive boarding spots. The one time that happened was when WN was having problems and A listers were getting C spots and my wife had A -35 and I had B-4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.