Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Traveling with a dog that does not fit under the seat?

Traveling with a dog that does not fit under the seat?

Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:28 pm

Fly private

there are lots of ride shares on chartered planes. (Shared cost so cheaper than private) Expensive, but my dog can fly next to me like a passenger.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by atothesquiz
The neighbor also isn't allergic to string instruments.
i hate all the BS ESA dogs but if someone is so allergic to pets that they have an episode just being near one then it's the person with allergies that shouldn't fly and can go cross country in an RV or charter an airplane.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:23 am

I'm not allergic but I don't want some smelly panting snuffly dog next to me. I guess I've reached cranky old lady stage. Your dog doesn't need to go on vacation, it's probably more stressful for the poor thing to be shoved in a cage in cargo for hours than to be at home with a pet sitter. No one wants your dog in the restaurant, or the grocery store, or pooping on the street or peeing on the flowers. Airplanes are intended to get people from one place to another. People should be the priority. If you can't possibly sit on an airplane for a few hours without your pet then you should drive. Or consult your doctor for medication.
dlaue, writerguyfl, geo979 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Suzzin
I'm not allergic but I don't want some smelly panting snuffly dog next to me. I guess I've reached cranky old lady stage. Your dog doesn't need to go on vacation, it's probably more stressful for the poor thing to be shoved in a cage in cargo for hours than to be at home with a pet sitter. No one wants your dog in the restaurant, or the grocery store, or pooping on the street or peeing on the flowers. Airplanes are intended to get people from one place to another. People should be the priority. If you can't possibly sit on an airplane for a few hours without your pet then you should drive. Or consult your doctor for medication.
And, STAY OFF MY LAWN.
joshua362, drooley, geo979 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
i hate all the BS ESA dogs but if someone is so allergic to pets that they have an episode just being near one then it's the person with allergies that shouldn't fly and can go cross country in an RV or charter an airplane.
Asinine take.
drooley and trouble747 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Not in the overhead bin, that's for sure (right UA?).
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:49 pm

While we're riffing, this emerged from today's LA Times:

A college student who was flying home to Miami said an employee for Spirit Airlines refused to let her board with her miniature hamster, Pebbles, suggesting instead that she flush the creature down a toilet.

The tearful girl did just that and later regretted it, hiring an attorney to consider legal action against Spirit.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
While we're riffing, this emerged from today's LA Times:
Snopes listes the allegations as unproved. Spirit denies that anyone suggested she flush the rodent. FAA guidence allows airlines to refuse to transport rodents and othe amimals.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Snopes listes the allegations as unproved. Spirit denies that anyone suggested she flush the rodent. FAA guidence allows airlines to refuse to transport rodents and othe amimals.
None of which seems to deter attorney Adam Goodman.

Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:37 pm

None of which seems to deter attorney Adam Goodman.

Spirit admits the passenger was misinformed on the phone. They deny she was told to flush the rodent.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:50 pm

Spirit admits the passenger was misinformed on the phone. They deny she was told to flush the rodent.
And a legal claim absent video or witness is probably unavailing.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:43 pm

And a legal claim absent video or witness is probably unavailing.
So I guess the passenger is out of luck, since she is the one making the claim. If there is no other evidence then it's a she said, they said.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2socal
Just for clarity. When I plan to fly with my dog, its for a family vacation, so we're taking up 5 across or 2x3. So no, it will not harass a passenger in the next seat.

It was just a simple question.. I'm fine putting the dog in cargo like I do on AA, was wondering what the options were on WN. Unfortunately there is none from a honest and righteous way on WN. The snarky remarks are exactly why people do the fake ESA route I guess.

No,,,people do the fake ESA route to avoid paying the fees for their pets.....
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:47 am

So I guess the passenger is out of luck, since she is the one making the claim. If there is no other evidence then it's a she said, they said.
True. But a witness needing a rodent in close proximity would be fun to cross-examine.

Spirit offered her flight vouchers. Attorney Goodman may claim they revised their rules after the incident.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Suzzin
Sounds like going on vacation is more stressful for you than anything if you're worried about what else is on the plane.

Also, I hope you never purchase anything online, or don't mind waiting for it to be trucked across the country. Airplanes are intended for a lot more than just getting people from one place to another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.