Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help understanding fare differences

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Help understanding fare differences

I was looking to change an existing itinerary BUR-SJC which I originally paid $59 for departing in the evening. If I were to book a new fare, the lowest available for that day is $99.

But when I go to change the existing flight instead, I see a bunch of availability at the lower $59 price point.

Is this an established WN policy? I.e., when changing fares do they give you some wiggle room to re-book at the originally paid price?
Old May 5, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by SansSerif
I was looking to change an existing itinerary BUR-SJC which I originally paid $59 for departing in the evening. If I were to book a new fare, the lowest available for that day is $99.

But when I go to change the existing flight instead, I see a bunch of availability at the lower $59 price point.

Is this an established WN policy? I.e., when changing fares do they give you some wiggle room to re-book at the originally paid price?
No. Just bad programming.

Most likely, if you try to book one of those $59 fares it will generate a message that it is unable to complete the transaction, and instead offer you the $99 fare.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If SODA was in effect for those stations, then those fare results would make sense. Perhaps the current east coast SODA got spilt into CA.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would agree with programming issue. Bet you would not get that lower fare when you try to change.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Well I was able to change the flight yesterday, so I will just take it as a thank you for flying Southwest.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:15 pm

Still just bad programming.

In general, these types of issues are caused by fare changes not fully populating throughout the (for now, multiple) booking system(s).

You experienced the very rare case where the fare dropped, instead of the much more common fare increase. So, win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.