Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally MDW Food Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:52 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Yep... TSA opens and starts letting people in at 4, so I would think restaurants should start opening up very soon after. 4:30 would do it I think. There are SO many 6AM flights, that even the places that open at 5 have astronomical lines very quickly.
That's what makes this change so much worse. Even with long lines, the Potbelly and McD's would keep those lines moving. I didn't end up getting anything, could see one line and it was crawling.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I used to intentionally route through MDW as it really offered the best food options of any WN hub for me (besides BWI). Now, not so much.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I used to intentionally route through MDW as it really offered the best food options of any WN hub for me (besides BWI). Now, not so much.
OT, but BWI recommendations would be nice - I'm flying through tomorrow (only 45min layover tomorrow but have 2.5h on Monday). Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
OT, but BWI recommendations would be nice - I'm flying through tomorrow (only 45min layover tomorrow but have 2.5h on Monday). Thanks in advance!
There's nothing there that's really that great. I usually just do Chipotle or Potbelly. There's also a new Chick-Fil-A that just opened too. Phillip's and Obrycki's are overpriced and not great seafood, Zona is mediocre Mexican; never tried the Silver Diner but heard decent things about it. I generally just want something reliable and inexpensive, which is why I'm so distraught about the Potbelly at MDW closing.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:16 pm

I'm researching a BWI connection myself, and understand that Phillips in the WN area is closed now.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:11 pm
glg

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
There's nothing there that's really that great. I usually just do Chipotle or Potbelly. There's also a new Chick-Fil-A that just opened too. Phillip's and Obrycki's are overpriced and not great seafood, Zona is mediocre Mexican; never tried the Silver Diner but heard decent things about it. I generally just want something reliable and inexpensive, which is why I'm so distraught about the Potbelly at MDW closing.
Yeah, Potbelly, Chick-fil-a or chipotle would all be welcome at MDW these days. I would have loved a CFA chicken biscuit last monday.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Whoa there, let's dial back the disdain for BWI eats. My routings usually give me the option of either MDW or BWI as a connection point, and all things being equal, it's BWI all the way. And that's before this recent MDW downgrade.

Both Phillips and Obrycki's offer serviceable-to-good crab cakes, better than you will find in 95% of US cities, much less airports. Sorry to hear that Phillips is currently MIA.

The loss of Potbelly at MDW is tragic. Those employees understood the needed urgency and did a great job.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Wow, sounds like the execution has been terrible. When I started this thread, I thought any change to the food at MDW would be a positive, but it sounds like I got it wrong. I don't spend a ton of time there, but I really didn't think it was possible to make the food worse.

For those of you based at MDW, are there any new bright spots?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So I had a layover of a couple of hours there on friday night and was surprised that in a place like a Chicago airport, there were basically no vegan options for dinner. The only thing I could find was a hummus wrap. That along with a soda and a bag of chips was over $16. Way more and way less variety than most other airports I've visited.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Whoa there, let's dial back the disdain for BWI eats. My routings usually give me the option of either MDW or BWI as a connection point, and all things being equal, it's BWI all the way. And that's before this recent MDW downgrade.

Both Phillips and Obrycki's offer serviceable-to-good crab cakes, better than you will find in 95% of US cities, much less airports. Sorry to hear that Phillips is currently MIA.

The loss of Potbelly at MDW is tragic. Those employees understood the needed urgency and did a great job.
Baltimore Club was decent, as was the Loose Cannon, and my daughter enjoyed the (non-crab-containing) quesadilla. I'd eat there again.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket

Per Phillips' website:

"OUR BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON THURGOOD MARSHALL LOCATION

Phillips Seafood is now closed at the BWI Airport. We look foward (sic) to serving you at another location soon!"
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
A Potbelly recently opened at BWI in WN's international wing. But it is a long hike, probably a 15 minute walk from the A/B concourses and it was closed by the time I arrived, thanks to a 4 hour layover, the wrong side of an aircraft swap.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
A Potbelly recently opened at BWI in WN's international wing. But it is a long hike, probably a 15 minute walk from the A/B concourses and it was closed by the time I arrived, thanks to a 4 hour layover, the wrong side of an aircraft swap.
There's a Potbelly in A, next to a pizza place...

Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
There's a Potbelly in A, next to a pizza place...
Thanks, my bad, I have not had to transfer there in 2 years now.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Because of the amazing food selection upgrade at MDW, I made my own prosciutto sandwich for my flight yesterday morning. Added bonus was that the Precheck line took 20+ minutes to go through, so I didn't really have time to stop at a restaurant anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.