Finally MDW Food Upgrade!

Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:02 pm
FSF

I don't go thru Midway very often but the changes sound underwhelming thus far. The only places I'd ever go to was Potbelly and McDonalds, as well as Harry Carry's (which was pretty slow service).

How do you take a McDonald's out of a terminal. While I'm not a huge fan, it is an American staple that almost anyone can rely on and its quick and inexpensive.

As for the critique of Las Vegas airport, as far as I'm concerned, the fact that they have a Jersey Mike's put's them amongst the best IMO.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
If only they could get a Priority Pass restaurant or two...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by FSF
How do you take a McDonald's out of a terminal. While I'm not a huge fan, it is an American staple that almost anyone can rely on and its quick and inexpensive.
I still haven't found a good breakfast alternative. Woodgrain Pizza? Billy Goat? Doubt they're open at 5AM.

Just for old time's sake I stopped at the McDonald's on the tollway Oasis on my way to the airport. It just wasn't the same (at 5AM I was the only one there!). And I couldn't escape the nagging worry that I was delaying myself unnecessarily.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I still haven't found a good breakfast alternative. Woodgrain Pizza? Billy Goat? Doubt they're open at 5AM.

Just for old time's sake I stopped at the McDonald's on the tollway Oasis on my way to the airport. It just wasn't the same (at 5AM I was the only one there!). And I couldn't escape the nagging worry that I was delaying myself unnecessarily.
The McDonald's at 47th and Cicero is open at 4:30am, with a drive-thru. It may be open earlier. When i've had morning flights, I've picked up a Sausage McGriddle from there and tossed it into my backpack to eat at the gate before boarding.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The McDonald's at 47th and Cicero is open at 4:30am, with a drive-thru. It may be open earlier.
Oooooh, a 24-hour drive thru (according to McD's website)!! Same at the Archer Avenue location west of the airport. The latter being perfect for those looking to exit I-55 at Harlem.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The McDonald's at 47th and Cicero is open at 4:30am, with a drive-thru. It may be open earlier. When i've had morning flights, I've picked up a Sausage McGriddle from there and tossed it into my backpack to eat at the gate before boarding.
Not much comfort for those of us arriving on the Orange Line. The morning-rush security AND food situations at MDW are so awful this summer, I just go hungry.

Security, BTW... l rolled up around 645am on a weekday a few weeks ago to find the security line backed up into the garage walkway leading back to CTA. PreCheck or not, one line. RIdiculous.

If you spend 30-40 minutes getting through PreCheck, chances are you don't have another 30 or 40 minutes to stand in line for a breakfast sandwich.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I'm all for trying local places instead of chains when traveling, but I just need something quick when at the airport, and chains have gotten "quick" down to science. .
If I get food now, it's a breakfast gyro from Pegasus. They are fairly quick and lines are usually not that long. It looks like they will be going away too next year.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:31 am

New food options opened yesterday, according to last night's news. In Concourse A.... I can't picture where, unless its still in the area where A meets B. Oh, well, I'll find out next week. Lousy 8AM flight; I am sure security line is going to be awful (just like Bear X220's post above).
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
In the area between A-4A/B and further up the A concourse. I just got a glance, but it looked like high end eating.

Please bring back McDonalds and Potbelly.!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
In the area between A-4A/B and further up the A concourse.
Oh I can picture the spot. Thanks!

With my luck of course I'll be flying out of B-26 and will never even see the place...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:51 am

With my luck of course I'll be flying out of B-26 and will never even see the place...

My experience Tuesday. I saw lots of balloons and banners about the new food area, but didn't really have the time for the walk over there to check it out. Unfortunately, the previous MDW food makeover has me trained to now eat prior to arrival at the airport.
CA1900 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Since Potbelly's was taken out I do NOT consider the changes to be an upgrade.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Since Potbelly's was taken out I do NOT consider the changes to be an upgrade.
very true.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:05 pm

Service remains abysmal, and lines long. Even at the places that haven't changed (yet, at least), the new employees (all working for an umbrella food service company vs individual stands) couldn't care less about getting people served in a quick fashion. And most of the places offer the exact same grab-and-go options, where previously they had food available that was unique to their shop.

It was definitely not an upgrade, except perhaps to the pocketbooks of whoever approved the changes.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:10 am

My guess was close. B-24. Same place really; far end of the corridor. I am sure I've used those 2 or 3 gates there more than I have the other 23 "B" gates combined.

I found it amusing how every food place serves many of the same items. I decided to try a blueberry muffin... I saw the same selection (blueberry, banana nut, and chocolate chip) and about six or eight different food places.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.