FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   45 minute minimum connection time at BWI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1838655-45-minute-minimum-connection-time-bwi.html)

jco613 Apr 24, 2017 11:27 am

45 minute minimum connection time at BWI

Hey everyone,

For some odd reason, BWI has a minimum connection time of 45 minutes. Is this new?

The reason I ask, I have to travel to FLL for some family business this week. I leave on the 7:05 from BDL, getting in at 8:20 to BWI (generally, this means getting in a little before 8:20). I know BWI very well, and typically can connect there in 25-30 mins. However, my connection is now not until 9:50. There is an 8:50 departure.

Is there a way a res agent or check in agent at the airport can override this?
Is it worth overriding?
Will my bags make it onto the 8:50 or 9:50?

Also...just want to say thank goodness for being able to re-fare! I was able to bank $45 from a previously scheduled trip to offset the cost of this emergency trip, so THANKS SOUTHWEST!

dmbolp Apr 24, 2017 11:46 am

So just doing the math; you land at 8:20, you think you can get to the 8:50 flight in 25-30 minutes, you would have already missed the closing of that flight at 8:40

flyer4512 Apr 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by jco613 (Post 28223458)
Hey everyone,

For some odd reason, BWI has a minimum connection time of 45 minutes. Is this new?

The reason I ask, I have to travel to FLL for some family business this week. I leave on the 7:05 from BDL, getting in at 8:20 to BWI (generally, this means getting in a little before 8:20). I know BWI very well, and typically can connect there in 25-30 mins. However, my connection is now not until 9:50. There is an 8:50 departure.

Is there a way a res agent or check in agent at the airport can override this?
Is it worth overriding?
Will my bags make it onto the 8:50 or 9:50?

Also...just want to say thank goodness for being able to re-fare! I was able to bank $45 from a previously scheduled trip to offset the cost of this emergency trip, so THANKS SOUTHWEST!

Personally I would rather have the extra time and Know the chances of me making my connection are much better.

Marko123 Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm

What if you come into A11 and your next flight leaves out of B15? That's a haul. Maybe keep the later one and if you do get in early try to see if the earlier one has an open seat.

And try to pack a carry-on if you can to increase your flexibility.

jco613 Apr 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123 (Post 28223862)
What if you come into A11 and your next flight leaves out of B15? That's a haul. Maybe keep the later one and if you do get in early try to see if the earlier one has an open seat.

And try to pack a carry-on if you can to increase your flexibility.

You underestimate my abilities, my friend. I can do a 30 minute layover with a full meal at TPA and on DL at MSP...I don't recommend it, but it is possible.

That said, I am going to keep your advice and do that.

FWIW it's B14 to A7 tomorrow (I'm flying Wednesday - tomorrow is the first day of a new schedule I think). Not ideal, but I could do it.

freeflyin Apr 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 28223541)
So just doing the math; you land at 8:20, you think you can get to the 8:50 flight in 25-30 minutes, you would have already missed the closing of that flight at 8:40

Not to mention that it seems that lately, flights that arrive early often have to wait for a gate at BWI.

I would keep your current flights as is and hope for an open seat on the 8:50 if you actually make it

Marko123 Apr 25, 2017 8:05 am

Originally Posted by jco613 (Post 28224928)
You underestimate my abilities, my friend. I can do a 30 minute layover with a full meal at TPA and on DL at MSP...I don't recommend it, but it is possible.

That said, I am going to keep your advice and do that.

FWIW it's B14 to A7 tomorrow (I'm flying Wednesday - tomorrow is the first day of a new schedule I think). Not ideal, but I could do it.

Ah yes I'm sure you are speedy but like freeflyin mentioned all looks great when you get in early at BWI, then you have to wait for a gate. It's my home airport and it happens quite often.

jco613 Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

My family member passed away while on connection - the earlier flight was just across the way, but with the timing, there was no possible way to redirect my bag and get me on. I gave the staff full credit for doing their best and pulling a miracle for a few other passengers off my flight, but it just did not work in my case. I am not complaining at all.

Marko123 Apr 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Sorry for your loss.