Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not picking up checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:24 am

The water taxi near the airport has storage. http://www.boston-discovery-guide.co...in-boston.html
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Does one even have to take the car out of the spot in the rental garage? Put the bags in the trunk, lock it, and walk away!
Yeah, don't even make a car reservation, just go to the lots and use one as a free locker
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Ah, a hotel bellman and a tip (or two) is an excellent suggestion. Would you recommend the Hilton at the airport, or some hotel near South Station, such as the Intercontinental?
I don't think that it really matters. Presuming that you are going to Uber into & out of Boston, just pick some hotel that is closest to where you are headed that is large and have the Uber drop you there.

No reason to risk things with WN bag office and no reason to rent a car for the day at BOS (car rentals are expensive at BOS and the car rental center is in the middle of nowhere) and you can't really leave the car at the rental center anyway.

FT will come up with a lot of Rube Goldberg solutions when there is an everyday solution which is tried and true, routinely used by people with bags to hold, costs very little and has people who watch bags for a living watch your bags.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Yeah, don't even make a car reservation, just go to the lots and use one as a free locker
If one uses a vendor where keys are given at the desk, it's not a free locker.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by leeinct
I did this in Las Vegas last year. Worked fine. I literally kept an eye on my luggage and the staff just grabs it and puts it in the roped off area.
That is a good idea assuming it gets to the luggage belt. Have you or anyone ever asked WN if they would or could hold the bag?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
That is a good idea assuming it gets to the luggage belt. Have you or anyone ever asked WN if they would or could hold the bag?
Yes, why not take the bag into the office yourself and ask? Then have a plan B if no is the (unlikely) answer.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, why not take the bag into the office yourself and ask? Then have a plan B if no is the (unlikely) answer.
Yes, I presume the answer would be no, just to many would ask for it. So, probably watching the luggage belt to confirm SWA picks it up is the best option. My problem is some times I like to stop by a lounge when I get off, the checked luggage is a problem.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I would second the suggestion to just drop them at a hotel with bell service. If you feel it's necessary you can tell them you're checking in later in the day (it's technically true since you will be checking in for your flight later in the day). Regardless if you tip $5 they will happily hold your bag.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I would second the suggestion to just drop them at a hotel with bell service. If you feel it's necessary you can tell them you're checking in later in the day (it's technically true since you will be checking in for your flight later in the day). Regardless if you tip $5 they will happily hold your bag.
I am so tired of people suggesting lying as a solution instead of taking responsibility for your own belongings. It's "technically true" is a bald-faced LIE. You are not checking in to that hotel, you're leaving town on an airplane!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I am so tired of people suggesting lying as a solution instead of taking responsibility for your own belongings. It's "technically true" is a bald-faced LIE. You are not checking in to that hotel, you're leaving town on an airplane!
True, but you don't even need to give a reason! OP just needs to throw the guy $5-10, then get a drink at the hotel bar if it makes everyone feel better for using this service. I've done this plenty of times and let it be known that I don't/won't have a room there and will just be visiting the on-site restaurant/bar.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:12 am

I can't recall ever getting to a hotel early and the bellhop questioning me on if I'm checking in later. I simply drop my bags and walk out the door. The bellhop hasn't been watching my every move, so they have no idea if I attempted to check in, nor cares when I'll be back to retrieve my bags to check in.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
And park it in Boston?
You won't be the only one.

That said, it would be an expensive alternative, as you would need to rent a car, pay to park it, pay to put a gallon of gas in it (save the receipt, of course) and return it several hours later.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Oh come on. Hotels offer left luggage service as a standard convenience. I have been to many, many conferences where I'm not staying at the main conference hotel but I leave my bag there on the last day of the conference, after I've checked out of my (other) hotel. I agree with the other poster who says that if you feel guilty, just get a drink at the hotel bar. In general the bell staff is working primarily for tips anyway (and it should go without saying that you should tip them).

Some larger hotels in touristy parts of NYC have a charge levied by the hotel for left luggage and explicitly don't care if you are staying there or not.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
How about storing your luggage at the South Station
http://www.boston-tourism-made-easy....e-lockers.html
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by kerrigjl
If one uses a vendor where keys are given at the desk, it's not a free locker.
Well duh, that would be the wrong vendor to use (in this completely ridiculous situation); use a vendor where the keys are already in the car, like National at almost all airports
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Well duh, that would be the wrong vendor to use (in this completely ridiculous situation); use a vendor where the keys are already in the car, like National at almost all airports
I can't believe anyone would even suggest this. It's such a blatant theft, clearly criminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.