Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Could I have been Scammed: Free Ticket Phone Call

Could I have been Scammed: Free Ticket Phone Call

Old Aug 18, 17, 7:15 am

If I made a thread every time I got a random phone call telling me I won something...
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 17, 11:51 pm

Programs: United
Got a phone call from Sacremento - 2 Indian Ladies - 916-889-5654

I received a phone call from 2 Indian women from the number posted in the subject line today. They offered 2 free round trip Southwest airline tickets.

First lady: "Hi, you have been selected by Southwest Airlines to attend a conference in Brentwood, Tennessee in order to receive 2 free round trip tickets. Are you married or in a relationship?"

Me: "No"

First Lady: "Ok, you still get the tickets anyway. Let me transfer you to my supervisor"

Second Lady: "Hell..." (hangs up)

I tried calling back and it didn't go through. I don't normally answer these calls but I am in Nashville on vacation and flew here through Southwest Airlines which made it seem even stranger.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:00 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Start annoying the telemarketers on there FB page
https://www.facebook.com/IssuesandAnswers
Old Oct 19, 17, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I get those a lot on my 702 (Las Vegas) number. The woman (it always seems to be a woman) tells me she's from "The Southwest Airline".
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by aggietmoney View Post
I received a phone call from 2 Indian women from the number posted in the subject line today. They offered 2 free round trip Southwest airline tickets.

First lady: "Hi, you have been selected by Southwest Airlines to attend a conference in Brentwood, Tennessee in order to receive 2 free round trip tickets. Are you married or in a relationship?"

Me: "No"

First Lady: "Ok, you still get the tickets anyway. Let me transfer you to my supervisor"

Second Lady: "Hell..." (hangs up)

I tried calling back and it didn't go through. I don't normally answer these calls but I am in Nashville on vacation and flew here through Southwest Airlines which made it seem even stranger.
It was a random phone call, and you were randomly selected. It really had nothing to do with Southwest airlines. You're probably lucky the return phone call didn't go thru...otherwise they would have probably kept (and sold) your phone number for other scams.
Old Oct 21, 17, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I've seen a lot of articles recently about scam phone calls that are solely meant to elicit you saying yes. They record it and then use it as proof at a later point of you having agreed to buy a product or a service.

http://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/can-...rning-hang-up/
My 85 year old dad got one of these yesterday - the guy kept saying "can you hear me" and dad told me he kept saying "yes I can hear you fine !" (not just "yes") - and then he hung up on him.

Smart and wise, my dad. . .
Old Oct 21, 17, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by flightfulbird View Post
My 85 year old dad got one of these yesterday - the guy kept saying "can you hear me" and dad told me he kept saying "yes I can hear you fine !" (not just "yes") - and then he hung up on him.

Umm....
Old Oct 22, 17, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

because audio editing hasn't yet been invented???
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
If you have 3 way calling, or call merging, you can forward the call to a robot that strings out the annoyance caller for as long as it can.

I've occasionally sent one to Jolly Roger Telephone Co.
Old Oct 23, 17, 6:32 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
If you have 3 way calling, or call merging, you can forward the call to a robot that strings out the annoyance caller for as long as it can.

I've occasionally sent one to Jolly Roger Telephone Co.
Ooooh do share details. Sometime I fire up a soundboard like this a see how long I can last before they get frustrated and hang up.

http://markazali.com/freds_soundboard/

Once I kept an Indian from the IRS on for 45 minutes while he gave me a one time chance to clear my debt at a discount. When I didn't have my checkbook handy to give him the numbers, I got detailed instructed on what Walgreens to go to, buy prepaid cards and wire the funds. Great fun while I kept repeating the addresses, accounts & phone numbers back transposed...
Old Oct 23, 17, 9:38 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Ooooh do share details. Sometime I fire up a soundboard like this a see how long I can last before they get frustrated and hang up.

http://markazali.com/freds_soundboard/

Once I kept an Indian from the IRS on for 45 minutes while he gave me a one time chance to clear my debt at a discount. When I didn't have my checkbook handy to give him the numbers, I got detailed instructed on what Walgreens to go to, buy prepaid cards and wire the funds. Great fun while I kept repeating the addresses, accounts & phone numbers back transposed...
Basically you transfer the call over to a robot that tries to keep the caller on the line as long as possible. Instructions and lots of examples if you google them.
Old Oct 27, 17, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Umm....

Originally Posted by justhere View Post
because audio editing hasn't yet been invented???

The things you learn on a message board that should be so freaking obvious ! Seriously, thank you guys.

I know to hang up immediately and not say a thing when someone says "can you hear me ok?" or any variation of it.

And he and I were talking that he should do the same thing - and he told me he had just gotten one of those calls and what he had said to them. And I was thinking that was cool - but it went right over my head that they can edit to use just a portion of the answer.

SO I called him just now to make sure he knew not to say "yes" at all and to just hang up - and he said he had NOT told them "yes", just said "I can hear you fine, can you hear me" because he knew not to say yes ! And the guy tried to ask him again to see if he would say yes and that's when he hung up.

So he was/is smart and wise to them. And now he knows to just hang up and not engage them at all.

And I'm the one with the red face right now because of those five words ending my post
Old Oct 27, 17, 4:51 pm

The things you learn on a message board that should be so freaking obvious ! Seriously, thank you guys.

I know to hang up immediately and not say a thing when someone says "can you hear me ok?" or any variation of it.

And he and I were talking that he should do the same thing - and he told me he had just gotten one of those calls and what he had said to them. And I was thinking that was cool - but it went right over my head that they can edit to use just a portion of the answer.

SO I called him just now to make sure he knew not to say "yes" at all and to just hang up - and he said he had NOT told them "yes", just said "I can hear you fine, can you hear me" because he knew not to say yes ! And the guy tried to ask him again to see if he would say yes and that's when he hung up.

So he was/is smart and wise to them. And now he knows to just hang up and not engage them at all.

And I'm the one with the red face right now because of those five words ending my post
Tbh, if you're willing to put up a fight, you'll never lose against your own CC - they aren't unaware of the games scammers play. But refusing to engage them saves precious moments of your life. I just plain don't answer unfamiliar numbers, which protects me from these situations. If you know me, you know to text. If you don't know me but need to contact me, you can leave a message.
Old Oct 27, 17, 5:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Please send them all to me and I'll "yes" them to death. Then I'd love to see them collect a dime. Think people are being overly paranoid...

BTW and slightly OT, Citibank has a wonderful web service where they give you a virtual credit card number with dollar and short expiration limits. A must for certain telephone and online ordering.
Old Oct 28, 17, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
The "yes" thing is a myth. It is not enough to say "yes" to enter into a contract.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: