Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass - can my Companion fly without me if I check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat

Interesting scenario I'm hoping to get some guidance on. Long story short I booked a trip a while back with my companion flying on a one way with me using points.

I now have a need to not take that flight back and instead hop on a different one with another airline.

If I check in at the airport with my companion but don't actually board and fly, does my companion get kicked off the flight? are there other drawbacks?

Any experience or insight into this is welcome, thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Your companion will most likely be removed from the plane after final call.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:24 pm

Don't even think about trying this scheme...it won't go well for anyone involved.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The Companion Pass has been around for 20+ years. What's the chance that someone else has had this idea during that time? What's the chance that Southwest has thought of it? What's the chance that Southwest has developed procedures to detect and defeat the scam?

Yup:
1. 100%
2. 100%
3. 100%

If you try this, PLEASE report your results here. Nobody here has ever admitted trying it, so your report will be the first.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
No. And you may get on a list trying to pull stuff like this.

You do not want to be on lists, whether it's airlines or hotels or banks or credit card companies or IRS.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Alright that's all the feedback I was looking for, thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Interesting scenario I'm hoping to get some guidance on. Long story short I booked a trip a while back with my companion flying on a one way with me using points.

I now have a need to not take that flight back and instead hop on a different one with another airline.

If I check in at the airport with my companion but don't actually board and fly, does my companion get kicked off the flight? are there other drawbacks?

Any experience or insight into this is welcome, thanks in advance.
How would it be if your companion gets kicked off the plane and has to pay the walk up fare to get home and your Companion Pass revoked? If you are okay with that, let us know how it works out!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Sorry for being dense (infrequent WN flyer here), but where does the scam aspect come into play? Is the implication that you would try to get your points back because you didn't end up flying, while still having the other person enjoy the "companion" benefit?

Otherwise, since they let you use your points to book trips for other people, couldn't they just treat it as, "your companion can fly alone but we'll still keep the points for the award ticket" as if the award ticket purchase had been for the companion all along?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Sorry for being dense (infrequent WN flyer here), but where does the scam aspect come into play? Is the implication that you would try to get your points back because you didn't end up flying, while still having the other person enjoy the "companion" benefit?

Otherwise, since they let you use your points to book trips for other people, couldn't they just treat it as, "your companion can fly alone but we'll still keep the points for the award ticket" as if the award ticket purchase had been for the companion all along?
The rules for Companion Pass are very clear...you may wish to familiarize yourself with them. This is widely considered to be one of the best perks in the skies...and any dodgy workaround has no doubt been discussed and dismissed here.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by smmrfld
The rules for Companion Pass are very clear...you may wish to familiarize yourself with them. This is widely considered to be one of the best perks in the skies...and any dodgy workaround has no doubt been discussed and dismissed here.
I have no doubt that what OP proposes won't work. My point was that I don't even understand how there's a dodgy workaround here, unless OP is asking if they can somehow have their cake and eat it too and somehow allow the companion to fly for free while the points for the original award ticket being refunded.

FWIW I will not come even remotely close to CP any time soon, and 99% of my travel is solo, so it wouldn't make sense for me to pursue one anyway. Just genuinely curious.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:25 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have no doubt that what OP proposes won't work. My point was that I don't even understand how there's a dodgy workaround here, unless OP is asking if they can somehow have their cake and eat it too and somehow allow the companion to fly for free while the points for the original award ticket being refunded.
True, one passenger is paying and one passenger is flying. But this would in effect allow passenger Y to travel on passenger X's ticket, something which is not allowed using either cash or points.

It would be rational for Southwest to formally allow this or to bend the rules in some cases, but that's their decision to make. If you break the rules without asking, you should expect them to be unhappy with you.

FWIW, about 30 years ago I traveled on another person's non-refundable ticket. This was before ID's were required at the airport. It was a win-win because I made sure the ticket holder earned miles for the flight!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
True, one passenger is paying and one passenger is flying. But this would in effect allow passenger Y to travel on passenger X's ticket, something which is not allowed using either cash or points.
Again, totally understood, but still don't see how this was supposed to gain any advantage as a premeditated scam (which seems to be what people are implying). If that's all someone wanted, it seems like they could have simply made a points booking for the other person from the get go without involving CP.

If there's some twist I'm missing that people don't want to post in public, feel free to ELI5 in PM

EDIT: or is it just that OP is trying to squirm out of having to cancel the self+CP award ticket and rebook a one-way for the friend at current pricing?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:28 pm

or is it just that OP is trying to squirm out of having to cancel the self+CP award ticket and rebook a one-way for the friend at current pricing?
This is my guess. Otherwise they would just cancel and rebook for the companion with points.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:54 pm

EDIT: or is it just that OP is trying to squirm out of having to cancel the self+CP award ticket and rebook a one-way for the friend at current pricing?
BINGO!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:06 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Again, totally understood, but still don't see how this was supposed to gain any advantage as a premeditated scam
Fixed rules need to presume that the situation is premeditated. Premeditated abuse of generous rules is a staple here on FT. That's why we can't have nice things.

Even without FT, people would figure out how to work the system. In these situations there is usually no way a customer can prove that his predicament was not premeditated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.