Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Conversely, does this work for going from XXX-YYY-ZZZ to XXX-ZZZ on an earlier flight?
Yes, that definitely works.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:32 pm

Won't be until MON 6/3 but wife and I are going to test the free standby with non-status companion OAK-HNL. Currently on the 5:45p flight for $79, would like to get on the other non-stop at 8:15a. Hopefully it doesn't sell out by then.

Flew ATL-MCO today, got on an earlier sold out flight standby with about 12 other folks (or at least #12 made it and others didn't show up?) I was #1 for awhile and ultimately made it as #4, AL+
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Getting to the airport for an 8:45 am when your flight is 5:45pm is quite a leap of faith. What are you going to do for 7-8 hours when you don't get on?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Getting to the airport for an 8:45 am when your flight is 5:45pm is quite a leap of faith. What are you going to do for 7-8 hours when you don't get on?
Go see San Fran for 6 hours?

Probably won't try it if sold out by then

4/15 update: was able to change to the morning flight due to the open changes situation, and decided to go a day early, and come back two days later

Last edited by dmbolp; Apr 28, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:09 pm

Trying standby today ATL-BWI, 24 pax on the list so the board is full, never seen that before

I'm #4, we’ll see how it goes

Edit: Made it, last person, even had overhead room and got an aisle seat, 800
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by dmbolp; Apr 28, 2019 at 1:11 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:18 pm

How is it possible that the last person on the plane gets an aisle seat???? Were there some 58 people who preferred a middle seat over an aisle?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
How is it possible that the last person on the plane gets an aisle seat???? Were there some 58 people who preferred a middle seat over an aisle?
Gotta be a successful play of Unite the Couple.
dmbolp likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Gotta be a successful play of Unite the Couple.
Yep, an elderly mother/daughter taking window/aisle in the last row. Daughter at the window told mom to scoot over
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
How is it possible that the last person on the plane gets an aisle seat?
Question ye not if thou art blessed by Kaellaeher, God of LUV!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Happens quite often. Two people taking window and aisle leaving middle open. One moves to middle and person boarding gets aisle.

When we are in that situation and know the plane is full, I look for someone coming down the aisle and OFFER THEM THE AISLE seat. That way we get to pick a smaller person vs the last minute person of size that also has a handful of carryon items, food, jacket, etc etc
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Another reason you may get an aisle seat as the last person to board is because if #143 (or #175 ) walks on the plane any jumpseat riders have to vacate their seat, which is usually an aisle near the back (or front if cockpit jumpseater).

But I have also been #142 to board on LGA-DAL and a father and son scooted over!

Chances are always better on an 800.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Quick ? for the board (did a search and couldn't find a n answer). How does A-List standby work with a checked bag (if at all)? Do I go to the A-List check-in line and request standby there (hoping they'll tag bag for earlier flight and I'll either fly with it or catch up to it)?

I've used the benefit before but never when I've had to check a bag.

Thanks in advance for any data points!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Quick ? for the board (did a search and couldn't find a n answer). How does A-List standby work with a checked bag (if at all)? Do I go to the A-List check-in line and request standby there (hoping they'll tag bag for earlier flight and I'll either fly with it or catch up to it)?

I've used the benefit before but never when I've had to check a bag.

Thanks in advance for any data points!
We rarely check bags, however -- we have done A list preferred standby at the gate a few times with luggage checked on a later flight.

IF THERE IS TIME, the gate agent will call baggage handling and have your bags pulled and re-checked onto your earlier flight. This even occurred once at a large station, LAX.

IF THERE IS NOT TIME, your checked luggage will travel on the later flight.

Let me emphasize -- we only have a few data points (perhaps 5?), so factor that into your decision.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:57 pm

I often go A-list stand-by with a checked bag. They will always tag the bag for the earlier flight, no problem. If you don't get on, then your bag is immediately available at baggage claim and you don't have wait for it to come.

Originally Posted by dlaue
We rarely check bags, however -- we have done A list preferred standby at the gate a few times with luggage checked on a later flight.
Why didn't you check your bags onto the earlier flight?
kennycrudup likes this.

Last edited by lougord99; Sep 15, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:33 pm

It depends.

If you check the bag without also getting on the standby list at the same time (for example if you flight is delayed and the other flight isn't) it is very likely that your bags will not make your flight. Sometimes it might work but the last time I moved to an "earlier" flight because the flight I booked was several hours late. Even though there was about 3 hours to make the switch it didn't happens. The baggage office at my destination would not take a report and was neither understanding nor helpful. There response was to blame the departure station for telling me it might make the flight. Their solutions was for me to wait around a couple more hours until the "correct" flight arrived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.