Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:35 am

Maybe old news, but tried standby this morning for the first time in months; ATL-IAD. Hung around the desk for my name to clear. Line at desk was very long as SW cancelled flights into Boston due to icy runways. Started to worry if the GA would get to standbys, kept checking the list on the app. Just after T-30 and boarding started I saw I cleared on the app, and saw I had a new boarding pass in the app, name never called out, never needed a paper BP; looked like standbys cleared automatically?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by dmbolp
... looked like standbys cleared automatically?
I'm not sure if it's manual intervention or the system doing it (but probably the former) but yeah, I just keep refreshing every couple of minutes and if you get the green checkmark, you should have a BP and head to the jetway door.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:49 am

An updated boarding pass pushed to your phone? That does seem to be a new development.

Flashback: A ways back I suggested this positive benefit of mobile BP's would eventually be implemented, during a conversation where some here could seemingly only perceive the negatives of mobile BPs. I even remember someone saying, with regards to WN's notoriously slow IT implementation, "Let me know when that actually happens."

steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:06 am

The app gets new BPs automatically, and has for a while. May have to pull-down to refresh.
ursine1 and roundtree like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
Does anyone have any recent experiences with using this benefit to change a nonstop to an earlier connecting flight? Must it be a published routing?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:56 am

Did that just yesterday: PHX-OAK later in the day to an earlier PHX-SAN-OAK. Just be SURE you can get cleared for both segments.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
And how about standby for only the first segment of a connecting itinerary? In other words, take the first flight early and keep my original confirmed second flight in order to have a few extra hours in the connecting city.

Would I have to worry about the 4 hour maximum connecting time?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:43 pm

You need to be clear with the GA, but you've got two separate boarding passes
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SpeedyDelivery
And how about standby for only the first segment of a connecting itinerary? In other words, take the first flight early and keep my original confirmed second flight in order to have a few extra hours in the connecting city.

Would I have to worry about the 4 hour maximum connecting time?
Not when I did it, albeit that was slightly over a year ago.

Originally Posted by dmbolp
You need to be clear with the GA, but you've got two separate boarding passes
I'm not even sure how clear you need to be with the GA. In my case I wanted to move both flights earlier (same routing) to get to my destination early evening instead of close to midnight. IIRC I just asked to standby on the earlier flight and the rest of the itinerary never really came up (not that I would deliberately conceal it, they just didn't ask)

Cleared standby on the first flight, then on arrival, I went and asked to standby on the connecting flight. Had I been unsuccessful that would have meant spending ~8 hours in LAS, which would also have been ok with me
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
You did it, so that works - but I don’t understand how. Once you are issued a boarding pass on the earlier flight isn’t your old itinerary cancelled?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lougord99
You did it, so that works - but I don’t understand how. Once you are issued a boarding pass on the earlier flight isn’t your old itinerary cancelled?
Hmm, it *was* over a year ago, so I guess it seems more likely that the question did come up and I just forgot that I did discuss the full itinerary with the GA.

Either way the potential long layover wasn't a problem though.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
When you are moved to another flight and issued a boarding pass you old BP is cancelled. I had this happen on a flight which was first delayed the cancelled and finally reinstated.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:31 am
RJ1

I have recently taken advantage of this benefit for the first time.

On the website, the following language appears:

**On the day of travel, please see a Customer Service Agent at the airport for this benefit. Free same-day standby is not available at Southwest® kiosks. Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available. On flights that do not meet these qualifications, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will receive priority standby and will be required to pay the difference in fare if a seat becomes available. If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-Passenger reservation, free same-day standby and priority standby will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation.

With regard to having to pay the difference in fare, are they referring to a situation where you are standing by for a different city pair and/or travel date? Just trying to understand if there is a potential of having to pay an increased fare for an available seat for the same city pair and date of travel.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RJ1
Just trying to understand if there is a potential of having to pay an increased fare for an available seat for the same city pair and date of travel.
Same date, same city pair has no add-in unless you no-show your flight and don't reach the departure airport desk within 2 hours of your scheduled departure time.
RJ1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SpeedyDelivery
Does anyone have any recent experiences with using this benefit to change a nonstop to an earlier connecting flight? Must it be a published routing?
Conversely, does this work for going from XXX-YYY-ZZZ to XXX-ZZZ on an earlier flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.