Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
What are peoples' experiences about when the upgrade actually clears? Let's presume an on-time flight with 10-15 empty seats as an example. Will they clear the standbys before boarding begins, or after boarding ends?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
My experience is that if there are at least 3-4 seats open, your upgrade will clear in time for you to board after A's and before B's if you are A-list.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:10 am

This morning MDW-ATL, held a boarding pass for the 1:30p and wanted to go standby on the 6:25a

At Ticket desk I was put on the standby list, TA said there were empty seats and I was the only one on the standby list so far (it was 4:45a ) and told me to check with the GA. I also checked 2 bags.

Got to the gate at about 5:00a, checked with the GA and she gave me a C-23 boarding pass. Went and had breakfast (the eggs in the Pizza Place breakfast sandwich are awful, fake, pulled them out after one bite), boarded after A-60.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
So apparently regardless of status or how early you get onto the SB list, PAX who've missed their previous flight bump you on the list; I dropped from # 1 to # 11 last week trying to get to SAN.

But I can't believe 10 people all missed a late-afternoon flight like that, there must be other reasons I kept getting bumped- so here's my questions for FT:

- What determines ranking on the SB list?
- Is there any way to game predicate that in one's favor?

Last edited by kennycrudup; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:24 pm Reason: damned hashtag 'matching'
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:52 am

Yes they will accommodate passengers who mis-connected, were delayed or cancelled before the rest of the standby list. You may also drop if someone with higher status is added to standby ( A-List Preferred vs A-List or possibly crew deadheading/commuting). There may be other factors.

It is also possible that some people are purposely missing their flights to get on a later flight and taking a chance that there will be seats.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:33 am

There are about 8 categories of standby, and A/A+ ranks very low.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
... or possibly crew deadheading/commuting ...
NRSAs can bump SBs? I get those needing to get to work, but NRSAs too?

It is also possible that some people are purposely missing their flights to get on a later flight and taking a chance that there will be seats.
Yeah, which gave me an idea- but when I run the math in my head, "one" would have to buy an AT/BS day-of (at least after the midnight "impossible-trip" sweep) for the one they'd like to try to make, "miss" that one then get the refund or TTFs. Lot of effort with no guaranteed success. (That being said, there is one use-case that now springs to mind.)

Originally Posted by smmrfld
There are about 8 categories of standby, and A/A+ ranks very low.
Huh. I get it, after all WN is doing us a favor here, but now I'm curious- what's below us? Who's at the top? I'm sure it's totally proprietary, but there's got to be some anecdotal hints, no?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
NRSAs can bump SBs?
NRSAs should not be above revenue customers - but those who are “positive space” (NRMRs - non revenue must rides, crew deadheads or interview candidates for example) usually already have a seat allocated on the plane so they shouldn’t show on the standby list.

There is one category of NRSA who MAY be at the top of the standby list above revenue customers - SWA has 4 NRSA standby categories from what I remember (letter A-D) and those with letter A standby priority who have been approved for traveling for an emergency - may be ahead on the list. It’s been awhile since I worked at SWA but those are the specifics I remember
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
What are peoples' experiences about when the upgrade actually clears? Let's presume an on-time flight with 10-15 empty seats as an example. Will they clear the standbys before boarding begins, or after boarding ends?
Yes. Plenty of times I have been cleared and given a boarding pass on a standby flight in time to board between A/B group when there were seats available. Other times it is the game of who is gonna bump who for the one last no show after boarding is done. Been both the bumper and bumpee.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jk88usa

NRSAs should not be above revenue customers - but those who are “positive space” (NRMRs - non revenue must rides, crew deadheads or interview candidates for example) usually already have a seat allocated on the plane so they shouldn’t show on the standby list.

There is one category of NRSA who MAY be at the top of the standby list above revenue customers - SWA has 4 NRSA standby categories from what I remember (letter A-D) and those with letter A standby priority who have been approved for traveling for an emergency - may be ahead on the list. It’s been awhile since I worked at SWA but those are the specifics I remember
NRMRs show up on the cleared standby list on the app AFTER they have been cleared and given a boarding pass, but not before. I was #1 on standby in OKC a few weeks ago after my flight was canceled, and 4 crew were cleared ahead of me first, while I did not get a seat.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:41 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'm also curious about what people's experiences are. I've used the benefit probably close to 20 times now and at all but a handful, the GA went ahead and printed me a boarding pass for the earlier flight when I went up to the counter, which have all been before boarding starts. (Once at OAK and once at SNA I cleared T-10 and was the last to board, and once I didn't clear at all at SNA. )
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ryw
I've used the benefit probably close to 20 times now and at all but a handful, the GA went ahead and printed me a boarding pass for the earlier flight when I went up to the counter, which have all been before boarding starts.
Same here.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:02 pm

Here as well.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I seem to be regularly on sold out routes. I have many times not been cleared ( that's ok - my bags went ahead of me and are waiting instead of the ridiculous MDW bag wait ) and many times cleared in time to board in the middle of B's and a few times cleared in time to board after A-60.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by aaronp84
NRMRs show up on the cleared standby list on the app AFTER they have been cleared and given a boarding pass, but not before. I was #1 on standby in OKC a few weeks ago after my flight was canceled, and 4 crew were cleared ahead of me first, while I did not get a seat.
Interesting... that must've been a case of crew getting rescheduled/shuffled at the last minute. Very possible that crew also was going NRSA (priority A - "emergency" - again, the only way they should be above rev. customers) and not NRMR, since I have also seen occasions of crews getting original flights cancelled and going standby to get where they need to go. Whenever I went NRMR, I never showed on the standby list

Most of the time, when an employee is NRMR, they can check in 24 hours prior just like everybody else and receive a boarding pass in whatever order they checked in, again just like a regular customer. And in most cases of NRMR, you know days or weeks in advance that you're going to be must riding, either as part of your line or for work if corporate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.