Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble with PreCheck?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

I've had Global Entry since the program started and never had the amount of missed pre-checks as what I've had with with SW. When I looked into why, it seemed to only happen when my tickets were booked with my wife's miles or when they were booked through my company's travel agent. KTN was there for each of them, but didn't matter.

Got nowhere with SW on my questions, so I just look as it as a system limitation and go with Fly By Security in those cases.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
I have had Global Entry also since the beginning days and had my KTN loaded into my WN profile. I rarely (if ever) missed having PRE since WN began participating until last year. Between May and August/September, I missed out on PRE for 7 or 8 consecutive WN flights (but never had an issue on other airlines).

I verified that my KTN was still in my profile and called the RR line. The agent told me that something happened where the computer system magically removed some people's middle names from their profile. This was the case with me. As my WN profile name no longer exactly "matched" my GE name (which contains my middle name), I was getting rejected for PRE even though my KTN was still in the profile.

The agent entered my middle name for me and I haven't missed PRE on WN since.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:42 am

This happened to my husband twice in the past month (out of 8 flights), both of them were companion tickets (don't know if that has anything to do with it), and he has Global Entry as well. His KTN is properly loaded into his RR account. The first time we didn't catch it and let's just say he wasn't happy when he arrived to the front of the PreCheck line to be told he has to go through the other. The 2nd time we caught it and were able to go to the check-in counter to get it fixed. Apparently they had a completely random number in the KTN field of the ticket even though it was accurate in his RR profile. No idea what's going on, but we are learning to check for it when we check-in.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, WN A-List
Happened to me and my wife last week on first (domestic) leg of intl flight. I manually put each KTN into the reservation ahead of time too. A desk agent was able to re-enter it and reprint our BPs and voila, then we had precheck
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:26 pm

Rapid rewards KTN sometimes don't match SW's KTN they have on their end.

Just want to let Southwest fliers know that if they are not getting TSA pre on their boarding passes it may be because the KTN is wrong in the SW system.

I called SW to try and find out why i wasn't getting TSA pre despite having the correct name and KTN in my online Rapid Rewards profile. When i called she said that for some reason they have a different KTN than what is showing in my Rapid Rewards profile.

She corrected it on her end. My BP now shows TSA pre. Nothing changed on my RR profile.

Very strange... but thrilled to have my TSA pre back!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
This may work but if it does, you better do it before checking in. I just tried to use it and got the "oops" message telling me I need to call since I already checked in.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:40 pm

Yes, once checked in you can no longer add a KTN yourself.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by stampchez

Anyone else have this problem?
Happened to me once... Spoke to both WN and TSA, everything was correct on what WN had and TSA told me it was one of the random screening techniques they use.

Said it is very rare and would likely only happen once.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:16 pm

I just had it happen again. Did not receive pre-check on a return flight a couple weeks back.

Ive now had it happen twice over the last 4 or so years since I signed up for it. To put that into perspective, that's twice in over roughly 200 flights.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by hiker72
I just had it happen again. Did not receive pre-check on a return flight a couple weeks back.

Ive now had it happen twice over the last 4 or so years since I signed up for it. To put that into perspective, that's twice in over roughly 200 flights.
Twice over 200 flights is likely in line with TSA's "never guaranteed" policy. As a check, was your KTN included on the Southwest itinerary those two times?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Twice over 200 flights is likely in line with TSA's "never guaranteed" policy. As a check, was your KTN included on the Southwest itinerary those two times?
It certainly was, based on a call with WN.

I'm not complaining. A success rate of over 99% is just fine by me.

Oddly enough, and on another note, I've been chosen for random additional screening by the metal detector a lot lately. I'd say about 5 times in the last 15 or so flights. All but one were at MDW.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
I had an issue on a flight a couple of weeks ago where TSA Pre wasn't showing up. I had added my KTN online after I booked, this was my second flight after signing up for TSA Pre. Called Southwest and it looked like everything was set up ok with the correct KTN.

I tweeted AskTsa, they responded quickly to have me send a Direct Message with my info. I did so and about 2 hrs later got a reply that they reached out to southwest on my behalf and my reservation was updated.

I had to pull up my boarding pass again and it now showed TSA Pre.

Last edited by indual; Apr 15, 2017 at 4:56 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So does the name have to match exactly with WN? I ask b/c this is the name format that global entry has:
First Middle Last AnotherLast

WN has First Last

I haven't flown with WN in two years so not really sure if I got precheck with them... I actually think I may have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.