Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Well this dispels the hope that WN's system only cancels overlapping flights. Any luck calling in and explaining your situation? Would be interesting to know if the auto cancellations can be overridden by an agent for people who need to fly same city pairs more than once per day.
Agent put reservation back. Let's see if this holds.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:52 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by TheScooter
I had this actually happen to one of PRE-MAY tickets (Flight is in March 2017).
It's important for everyone to realize that travel date has very little to do with this situation, apart from the fact that once the magic date in May arrives, there will no longer be any chance at all that your ticket is being handled by the old system. The new ticketing system has been being phased in since December. Every day, or every week, or every whatever since the start of the changeover, the odds of a ticket being handled by the old system have been dropping.

Travel dates are largely irrelevant!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: SWA Rapid Rewards
OAK is not the same as SFO

I booked two round trips for Memorial Day weekend. One from OAK-DEN-OAK and one SFO-DEN-SFO. I hadn't decided which one to keep because ... so many reasons ... airport shuttle schedule (at both ends), dogsitting schedules, drive vs bus, etc.

I was stunned this morning when I received a cancellation notice for the SFO-DEN-SFO trip. I called and spent an hour on the phone sorting it out. I was told:
1. "The computer sees OAK and SFO as the same, so it identified this as a duplicate." Um, NOT. OAK and SFO are definitely not the same, any more than Burbank, Long Beach, Ontario, Orange County are the same as LAX.
2. "When the computer decides which one to cancel, it will cancel the more expensive one." Um, NOT - I ultimately canceled the OAK-DEN-OAK version and after applying the refunds to my reinstated SFO trip, ended up with $50 in travel credits because the SFO option was cheaper

I totally get that double-booking ties up inventory and it was a loophole that we've all gotten comfortable exploiting. But how about these more friendly options for your more aggressive enforcement, SWA:
1. Program your computers to keep me from making these "duplicate" arrangements in the first place.
2. Send me an email saying, "Hey, you've screwed up, fix it or we'll fix it for you."

I'd have been happy with either one of those options. But arbitrarily cancelling a round-trip, and choosing the wrong one? NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by agilepooch
I booked two round trips for Memorial Day weekend. One from OAK-DEN-OAK and one SFO-DEN-SFO. I hadn't decided which one to keep because ... so many reasons ... airport shuttle schedule (at both ends), dogsitting schedules, drive vs bus, etc.

I was stunned this morning when I received a cancellation notice for the SFO-DEN-SFO trip. I called and spent an hour on the phone sorting it out. I was told:
1. "The computer sees OAK and SFO as the same, so it identified this as a duplicate." Um, NOT. OAK and SFO are definitely not the same, any more than Burbank, Long Beach, Ontario, Orange County are the same as LAX.
2. "When the computer decides which one to cancel, it will cancel the more expensive one." Um, NOT - I ultimately canceled the OAK-DEN-OAK version and after applying the refunds to my reinstated SFO trip, ended up with $50 in travel credits because the SFO option was cheaper

I totally get that double-booking ties up inventory and it was a loophole that we've all gotten comfortable exploiting. But how about these more friendly options for your more aggressive enforcement, SWA:
1. Program your computers to keep me from making these "duplicate" arrangements in the first place.
2. Send me an email saying, "Hey, you've screwed up, fix it or we'll fix it for you."

I'd have been happy with either one of those options. But arbitrarily cancelling a round-trip, and choosing the wrong one? NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!
Wrong one? You said you still hadn't decided which you were taking. Looks like they decided for you!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:46 pm

Um, NOT. OAK and SFO are definitely not the same, any more than Burbank, Long Beach, Ontario, Orange County are the same as LAX.
Uh, actually, they are and are referred to as co-terminals.

LA coterminals: SNA, LAX, LGB, LAX, BUR and ONT
Bay-Area coterminals: SJC, SFO and OAK

Last edited by ftnoob; Mar 11, 2017 at 12:00 am Reason: Fix markup
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred

1) Not sure why they should have to spend the $ to program that

2) I'd say they got your attention pretty quickly. Maybe they figure people would respond to a cancellation a lot quicker than a milder email

So you can game the system and it's acceptable, they on the other hand take action to negate your gaming and that's a problem?

Welcome to FlyerTalk BTW

Last edited by birdiedouble; Mar 10, 2017 at 9:52 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Do the cancels come back as travel credits or refunds (assuming WGA booked in the first place?)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
Do the cancels come back as travel credits or refunds (assuming WGA booked in the first place?)
I'll give you one guess.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Gotcha.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cancelling the "wrong" vs. the "right" ticket is a common complaint with all carriers. No algorithm has the capability of looking into the passenger's head and knowing that. The fact is that once you violate the contract, WN could cancel both and you would not have even a remote complaint (or you might have one, but nobody would care).

It is asking a lot of some software code to know which ticket you wish to fly when you yourself do not know that.

In turn, while it is theoretically possible for air carriers, WN included, to develop software which could instantly identify impossible ticketing, that is an expensive and task and expensive operation and there is no need of it given that it is simply prohibited.

The tougher situation is for non-regular WN fliers. Travel credits are fine for the regular flier because the credit will be used one way or another. But, if you do this as a non-regular flier, say you are here from Europe and won't be back for a few years, you have a credit which is of no value.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:30 pm

Southwest should proactively develop their system to prohibit making duplicate reservations, especially if they are going to consider nearby airports as the same. Obviously they have software which can identify these reservation, or they couldn't run simply run it when they confirm the reservation?

As for refunds, if their system allow you to make reservation in violation of their own rules, and they later cancel that is not entirely the passengers fault, and they should refund to the original form of payment, including recreating TTFs and Gift Cards if those were used. There is a legitimate claim that could be made that not fixing this is causing unsuspecting consumers to be lured into losing their money.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It isn't just the same airport or city, it is any reservation made without the intent to travel. Whatever WN's shortcomings, the COC are written in plain English and nobody is "unsuspecting". If you purchase tickets from OAK and SFO at roughly the same time, it is not much of a stretch to determine that you didn't intend to fly at least one of those.

[B]Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same
Passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without
notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or
any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel.
[/B]
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It isn't just the same airport or city, it is any reservation made without the intent to travel. Whatever WN's shortcomings, the COC are written in plain English and nobody is "unsuspecting". [/B][/B]
Only about 1 in a million passengers reads the CoC. And much of it is not really written in "plain English" but a combination of legalese and indefinite ambiguities.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:10 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Southwest should proactively develop their system to prohibit making duplicate reservations, especially if they are going to consider nearby airports as the same. Obviously they have software which can identify these reservation, or they couldn't run simply run it when they confirm the reservation?
Because savvy travelers book the new reservation BEFORE they cancel the old one, in case the new reservation fails. I know, it's hard to believe that Southwest's website could show you a fare and then not let you buy it, but better safe than sorry.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

As for refunds, if their system allow you to make reservation in violation of their own rules, and they later cancel that is not entirely the passengers fault, and they should refund to the original form of payment, including recreating TTFs and Gift Cards if those were used. There is a legitimate claim that could be made that not fixing this is causing unsuspecting consumers to be lured into losing their money.
Obviously, you also think that pigs should be able to fly.

I'm not clear why all these things should happen. The only 'should' is that they should reinstate when truly doable multiple reservations are made and cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.