Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: WN CP; WN A+; SPG Gold; Hertz Five Star Gold; Delta Silver Medallion; HHonors Silver
One thing that I was worried about this year with the new application of duplicate/overlapping/questionable bookings is the annual fly in December, get credit in January by booking roundtrip flights, flying the outbound portion of each trip in December and cancelling the returns in January and getting the TQP/CPQP posting in the new year. So far so good as they didn't auto cancel my trips.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:03 pm

I've been auto-cancelled twice this year. Didn't even know until I checked my trips days later. SW is within its right to auto cancel duplicate, overlapping, questionable etc flights. But send people a darn email saying the flights in question have been cancelled and the reason why. Don't just redeposit points or hold funds. With American Airlines I am not allowed to book a duplicate flight at booking time when I'm about to pay. It just won't let me. Why is this difficult for SW to implement as well especially if we are logging in with account credentials before booking?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
But send people a darn email saying the flights in question have been cancelled and the reason why. Don't just redeposit points or hold funds
Eh? When it happened to me, WN sent an E-mail and refunded the price to my original form of payment.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXPLANNER
One thing that I was worried about this year with the new application of duplicate/overlapping/questionable bookings is the annual fly in December, get credit in January by booking roundtrip flights, flying the outbound portion of each trip in December and cancelling the returns in January and getting the TQP/CPQP posting in the new year. So far so good as they didn't auto cancel my trips.
if this works after 1/1/18, please let us know.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: WN CP; WN A+; SPG Gold; Hertz Five Star Gold; Delta Silver Medallion; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

if this works after 1/1/18, please let us know.
It worked perfectly. I had the returns scheduled for 1/4, canceled the reservations on 1/2, points and segments credited this morning (1/3). I only rolled two segments to this year, as I wanted to make sure it works under the new system before I went in with more. Have to set the reminder for next year now.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Just wondering if WN system is still cancelling double bookings on same dates with different departure times or different airports but same dates? Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
As of last week, YES- and I don't imagine it'll change, it's policy now. I guess if you can't get to both flights (IOW, your name's not "Superman") then they'll cancel one.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:57 pm

Booked ATL-MCO tomorrow at 10pm (with wife companion), have been hoping for the sold out 8pm to open up. Finally 2 seats opened up so I just tried to grab them buy only got mine. So will be refreshing constantly this afternoon in hopes on an addt'l seat opening up. I guess at 10pm I just cancel the 8pm and check-in on the 10pm, hopefully nothing gets cancelled by then.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Booked ATL-MCO tomorrow at 10pm (with wife companion), have been hoping for the sold out 8pm to open up. Finally 2 seats opened up so I just tried to grab them buy only got mine. So will be refreshing constantly this afternoon in hopes on an addt'l seat opening up. I guess at 10pm I just cancel the 8pm and check-in on the 10pm, hopefully nothing gets cancelled by then.
You have 24 to 48 hours' grace period in my experience. Cancellations occur right after midnight Central time.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just had to book two flights. Both leave from the same originating city, but they go to two different destinations (BWI and DAL), on same date. We are trying to lock down our plans and will cancel one of those. Just can not tell for sure right now.

Chances of one getting cancelled?
Old May 3, 2018, 11:34 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Just had to book two flights. Both leave from the same originating city, but they go to two different destinations (BWI and DAL), on same date. We are trying to lock down our plans and will cancel one of those. Just can not tell for sure right now.

Chances of one getting cancelled?
100% minus some allowance for malfunction of Southwest's software. Unless there is enough time between the two departures that you could in theory fly back to the origin city.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Are the duplicates still detected when booked on points from two different accounts? (And not inputting the travelers ktn or wn#)
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:17 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have not tried to evade the sweep, but if I were programming it I would look at name and birth date and billing address if there is no RR number.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nsx
I have not tried to evade the sweep, but if I were programming it I would look at name and birth date and billing address if there is no RR number.
IP address, CC # as well.

It is probably possible to defraud the system with enough layered work, but it will always be iffy and thus a risk.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:39 am

We need more data points!

While I agree that there are numerous ways a carrier could identify a duplicate booking... let's remember that we're talking about Southwest. Not especially known for complicated IT implementation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.