Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mek17
I just noticed this language on the "What you need to know to travel" screen when booking a flight today. I do not recall seeing it before.
I think they have expanded the language, but it falls under the previous COC language.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

With the exception of Southwest gift cards, funds from proactively cancelled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest gift card will have the amount applied from the gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight.
Wait. Is this new? I though that the flights they had cancelled were being refunded as travel funds?

So... worst case scenario, they cancel one of the bookings and give you a full refund?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:59 pm

FYI, just had my flights cancelled for different destinations/same day (A-B,A-C). I then re-booked so that they were on consecutive days and so far they haven't been cancelled (its been 48+ hours since booking).
Old May 24, 2017, 3:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dukesilver
FYI, just had my flights cancelled for different destinations/same day (A-B,A-C)
They canceled both? I've only seen them cancel one or the other.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ursine1
Wait. Is this new? I though that the flights they had cancelled were being refunded as travel funds?

So... worst case scenario, they cancel one of the bookings and give you a full refund?
Worst case scenario is that WN cancels both. Second worst is that it cancels the one you really wanted and you can't get it back.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
They canceled both? I've only seen them cancel one or the other.
They cancelled the most recent reservation.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Worst case scenario is that WN cancels both. Second worst is that it cancels the one you really wanted and you can't get it back.
I've seen no reports of both flights being cancelled.

It is, however, possible that they might cancel the most desirable (to you) flight, and there doesn't seem to be a clear criteria for determining which flight gets cancelled.

My point with the post was that, at worst, a flight gets cancelled but you get a full refund for that canceled flight -- not TTFs.

This is surprising to me.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
If this could be figured out, one could force refundability of a WGA fare by overlapping it with a AT/BS fare in theory? Food for thought...
Old May 25, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by joshua362
If this could be figured out, one could force refundability of a WGA fare by overlapping it with a AT/BS fare in theory? Food for thought...
Only if they book the WGA fare second, I'd think, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:00 pm

It's not always the second itinerary that gets cancelled.

We need more data points, to better understand which parameters effect the selection of the flight to be cancelled.

One suspects that in the case of a BS and WGA conflict, Southwest would prefer to keep the BS money, and always cancel the WGA, which would then mean this could be a method for forcing refundability of a WGA fare, as joshua362 suggests.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
It's not always the second itinerary that gets cancelled.

We need more data points, to better understand which parameters effect the selection of the flight to be cancelled.

One suspects that in the case of a BS and WGA conflict, Southwest would prefer to keep the BS money, and always cancel the WGA, which would then mean this could be a method for forcing refundability of a WGA fare, as joshua362 suggests.
Maybe they will cancel the WGA and then place the freed-up newly available seat back into the BS bucket.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dukesilver
They cancelled the most recent reservation.
Most recently booked? Or the latter of the two flights?
Old May 28, 2017, 9:42 am

Data point that did not get cancelled.

I had points bookings for BWI-DTW on April 30th departing at both 1215pm and 550pm. Flights were booked in January.

There was no auto cancellation. I cancelled the 550pm late on April 29th when I realized I would be not staying later.

Perhaps the system realizes that it would be conceivable that I'd be in DTW for an hour and then return to BWI.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Dom Bologna
Data point that did not get cancelled.

I had points bookings for BWI-DTW on April 30th departing at both 1215pm and 550pm. Flights were booked in January.

There was no auto cancellation. I cancelled the 550pm late on April 29th when I realized I would be not staying later.

Perhaps the system realizes that it would be conceivable that I'd be in DTW for an hour and then return to BWI.
I was wondering about this sort of thing in re the "no multiple trips on the same day" rule. I know RR doesn't work that way, but I could easily see some situations where someone needs to "run in circles" for status and it leads to bouncing back and forth between two high-frequency airports (DAL-HOU comes to mind here).

There are also some explicit "edge cases" I could think of involving clumsy rental car returns and the like: A WGA ticket might well be cheaper than a bad one-way rental fee (or, on some airlines, a change/cancel fee when something goes haywire in booking), so I could see a trip that involved (for example) the following:
Fly HOU-DAL early. Grab rental car that needs to be returned to HOU (or drop a car that needs to be positioned there for reasons involving a clumsy ticket), drive back. Catch late flight out of HOU back to DAL and onwards.

Most of what I'm thinking applies to other airlines, but I could easily see a situation where you can get two relatively cheap one-way tickets somewhere but they involve using different airports. Again, these are clearly non-standard edge cases but stranger things have happened.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:11 pm

According to this Facebook post today, Southwest's system automatically cancels the most expensive of the two flights. Which seems surprising.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.