Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Yeah, it does stink that WN eliminated their parallel universe where one can visit both Austin, TX and Milwaukee, WI at the same time.
I say we throw WN a party for ending this caper. Proceeds for new software to potentially catch even before ticketing when a traveler makes two bookings with different carriers.

Originally Posted by chrismik
I travel weekly on SWA for business (as I know most of you do too!) Due to my meeting schedule, I have several contingency city pairs booked on the same date.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Companion SWA, Plat Marriott, Diamond Hilton
Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Did you get a email for the cancellation? Were these WGA, Anytime, or Business Select fares?
I got a cancellation email with no heads up. It was a mixed Anytime and WGA flight.

This blows super chunks as this digs into the flexibility of my business travel.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by chrismik
I thought that this was only happening on post May 9th booking.
May 8 is merely the date after which 100% of reservations will be handled by the new reservation system. Other than not realizing the system has been phasing in since December, there is no reason to think itineraries before May 8 would not be subject to the new enforcement of the multiple itinerary rule.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: WN CP
Has anyone tried booking separate one ways for both a departure and a return flight on consecutive days to see if one or more would be canceled? Could this be a way around them canceling speculative bookings?

Example
5-10:
1 Way - ROC to TPA at 7am
1 Way - TPA to ROC at 6PM

5-11:
1 Way - ROC to TPA at 7am
1 Way - TPA to ROC at 6PM

Lets say you dont know if you want to fly out on the 10th or the 11th so you book 4 individual flights where you could technically take all 4 so there should be no grounds for WN to cancel the flights.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Its not necessary, WN does not cancel flights from aaa-bbb on consecutive days at the same time.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lougord99
Its not necessary, WN does not cancel flights from aaa-bbb on consecutive days at the same time.
Other posts on this thread indicate cancellations of flights on different (but consecutive) days.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Other posts on this thread indicate cancellations of flights on different (but consecutive) days.
I have held post May 8 reservations for the same city pair on 2 consecutive days for 2 weeks with no cancellations.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I have held post May 8 reservations for the same city pair on 2 consecutive days for 2 weeks with no cancellations.
I wish you continued luck with that, but caution you to keep checking your reservations.

I also call your attention to the following posts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27953435-post38.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28057622-post75.html
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:13 pm

What about this -all booked as one-way flights

AAA-BBB on Monday
BBB-AAA on Saturday

AAA-BBB on Monday or Tuesday
BBB-AAA on Saturday

on two consecutive weeks - my parents are having medical procedures but I need to be home on the Sunday (and possibly the Monday) between.

And another scenario - different situation

AAA-BBB on Monday
BBB-AAA on Saturday

AAA-BBB via another carrier on Monday the next week
BBB-AAA on Friday or Saturday of that week

In this scenario, would Southwest cancel the return BBB-AAA on the second week because they can't tie it to an outbound flight on Southwest?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by flightfulbird
What about this -all booked as one-way flights

AAA-BBB on Monday
BBB-AAA on Saturday

AAA-BBB on Monday or Tuesday
BBB-AAA on Saturday

on two consecutive weeks - my parents are having medical procedures but I need to be home on the Sunday (and possibly the Monday) between.

And another scenario - different situation

AAA-BBB on Monday
BBB-AAA on Saturday

AAA-BBB via another carrier on Monday the next week
BBB-AAA on Friday or Saturday of that week

In this scenario, would Southwest cancel the return BBB-AAA on the second week because they can't tie it to an outbound flight on Southwest?
I do stuff like this nearly every week. Many people commute by plane weekly.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I wish you continued luck with that, but caution you to keep checking your reservations.

I also call your attention to the following posts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27953435-post38.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28057622-post75.html
I think this simply shows that exactly how they are dealing with it is not settled. I will report if they ever cancel my reservations. I don't plan to cancel until about 2 weeks prior to flying.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I believe the WN system matches your name and automatically adds your RR info when booking, even if it's left off. I did this once in the app and it showed up in my account even though I just typed my name in manually and left everything else blank.
The same happened to me recently. I was booking flights for my wife while she was out of town. I didn't have her SWA number but the online res system added it automatically.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The flip side is that this preserves better inventory for longer. This is a zero-sum game. If you are holding two seats, that is a seat which I can't get, at least at the fare I want. Maybe that is good for you, but not me. Next time, you take the hit.

This.

I'm surprised they ever allowed this. Even Amtrak, with its antiquated system, is pretty good about not allowing what they term "impossible" (extra) bookings.

As noted above, a seat I'm holding that I know I'm not really going to use is a seat that is not available for you to book. Not that the change won't inconvenience those making the extra bookings now, but it seems hard to argue that this isn't a needed and positive change, especially with flights always so full.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:05 pm

It is only a zero sum game if WN never overbooks, but of course they do overbook.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
It is only a zero sum game if WN never overbooks, but of course they do overbook.
They won't need to overbook as much by canceling duplicate reservations, which will make for more predictable flight loads (i.e., fewer oversold flights) and higher profits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.