SW Change Flights

Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation SW Change Flights

I typically change/modify my existing reservation when SW reduces fares.

However, today when I click change to select a new flight, I see this message for the first time. What does it mean? My flight is currently booked with points.

"Before you modify

Modifying a fully refundable fare will result in the fare becoming NON-refundable. To ensure your new ticket is refundable, cancel your existing reservation, request a refund of the refundable balance, and create a new reservation. Non-refundable fares may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines for the originally ticketed Passenger only.

The new reservation inherits the earliest expiration date from any funds applied from the old ticket. Therefore, the expiration date of your new reservation and all associated funds may be less than 12 months. Your new expiration date will be displayed on the confirmation receipt sent to you."
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by fastpoint

However, today when I click change to select a new flight, I see this message for the first time. What does it mean? My flight is currently booked with points.

"Before you modify

Modifying a fully refundable fare will result in the fare becoming NON-refundable. To ensure your new ticket is refundable, cancel your existing reservation, request a refund of the refundable balance, and create a new reservation. Non-refundable fares may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines for the originally ticketed Passenger only.

The new reservation inherits the earliest expiration date from any funds applied from the old ticket. Therefore, the expiration date of your new reservation and all associated funds may be less than 12 months. Your new expiration date will be displayed on the confirmation receipt sent to you."
See #2 in the first post of this thread from last month: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-9-2017-a.html
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Welcome to the new and improved WN IT system!

I like to call it Trans-FU@CK-ery Transfarency.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It doesn't give them a pass on this horrible new "feature", but at least they are warning about it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think from now on I am just going to use points for all WN purchases.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by fastpoint

However, today when I click change to select a new flight, I see this message for the first time. What does it mean? My flight is currently booked with points
Just to clarify, means nothing for a points booking.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:21 am

Yes, non-applicable to points bookings.

Does the system show this on all changes? (I haven't made any lately.) Or all "refundable" bookings? Or all bookings made on the new system? Seems like they would try to target this somehow, to avoid creating any extra confusion, beyond that which the policy change will generate by itself. (Likely a lot.) Or IT couldn't figure out how?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
And I thought this was supposed to be an improved reservation system.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:20 pm

Southwest benefits from many improvements.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by willywilkes
Just to clarify, means nothing for a points booking.
Originally Posted by ursine1
Yes, non-applicable to points bookings.
Not sure I agree.

The warning probably applies to the $5.60 (or multiple thereof) security fee that would be refundable if the points ticket is cancelled. I expect that if the OP were to try to cancel the reservation the security fee(s) would not be refundable.

I'll note that on Jan 10 I changed a points booking for a flight in April, and the security fee was showing as refundable just moments ago. I don't recall seeing the warning when I made the change, though I simply have missed it. More data is needed.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:09 pm

$5.60 is indeed non-refundable for a point ticket cancelled that had been previously changed.

if you don't like keeping track of 6-digit codes for a fiver in value, always cancel & rebook.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:35 pm

Unless something has changed recently, TSA requires that the September 11 fee be refunded upon request. If the mechanics of this "system limitation" are indeed true, then they are in conflict with the law.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:40 pm

Unless something has changed recently, TSA requires that the September 11 fee be refunded upon request. If the mechanics of this "system limitation" are indeed true, then they are in conflict with the law.
such a statement requires proof
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
such a statement requires proof
See post 7 in this thread:

Refundability of U.S. government imposed taxes and fees

As I said, this may have changed recently... but it's always been my understanding.

edit: Another reference:Refundable fees on canceled airline tickets is a well-kept secret

Google is your friend.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The language above only says the "fare" is non-refundable, nothing specifically about fees being non-refundable. The CoC provides for the refund of fees "as required by applicable regulations". Just because WN does not automatically generate a refund upon cancellation in these cases does not mean they will not provide a refund upon request. My guess is that they do not automatically refund after a change as that would essentially be an open-ended commitment to keep your original form of payment on file. It's also a liability for the airlines (government taxes and fees are forwarded to the government shortly after purchase, they are not held by the airlines until you fly).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.