Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Refundable fares now remain refundable; was: CoC changes 12-6-2016 effective 5-9-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable fares now remain refundable; was: CoC changes 12-6-2016 effective 5-9-2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sorry if this is answered somewhere; I tried but could not find it confirmed in the last couple months.

Can someone confirm that WN reservations made since 5/9/17 with RR points are still completely cancelable/refundable/refareable without cost, once made and thereafter modified? Even repeatedly.

Looking to refare a flight made a couple weeks ago, for both wife and self.

Very little chance of total cancellation, so not really worried about the $5.60. But would that go back as TTF?

Thanks.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 2, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Sorry if this is answered somewhere; I tried but could not find it confirmed in the last couple months.

Can someone confirm that WN reservations made since 5/9/17 with RR points are still completely cancelable/refundable/refareable without cost, once made and thereafter modified? Even repeatedly.

Looking to refare a flight made a couple weeks ago, for both wife and self.

Very little chance of total cancellation, so not really worried about the $5.60. But would that go back as TTF?

Thanks.
I was flying PHL-BNA Aug 26, booked with points including a points ticket for my extra seat.

I saw that I would get done early, so changed to last flight Aug 25, both seats, on line.

The morning of the 24th, I switched again to last flight on the 24th, knowing that if I could not there, I should be able to switch to following morning. I got to the airport in plenty of time and got home the evening of the 24th.

The only charges were the point differences. One change was a bit more, one a bit less. Even there I got lucky. They opened WGA that was available even on the same day. Note: you may only see these on line. At the airport or on the phone it may be full price. Everything switched without a hitch. I don't know about cancels, but the changes were without a problem.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, Ink.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:33 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I was about to say the $5.60 can be refunded to your credit or debit card if you prefer...but I just initiated a dummy cancel and the refund option was no longer there. The $5.60 (or whatever the amount) can now only be held as TTF for future use, it appears.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:05 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

So...I have learned since my previous post that using "Change Itinerary" to refare a points booking causes the $5.60 (or more) security fees to become non-refundable. The security fees are still refundable if they are "virgin" funds. This is probably the same issue that causes Anytime and BS fares to become non-refundable if the Change Itinerary process has been used to rebook a flight.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

This is true. It's been that way since February (at least).

Cancelling Points reservation no $5.60 back?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: As of 10/10/18 all refundable reservations booked from today on will remain refundable even after an itinerary is changed.

Refundable reservations booked prior to today continue to lose refundability if any itinerary change is made -- cancel and rebook, don't change if you need to retain refundability.

I expect official communication from Southwest will come soon.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
UPDATE: As of 10/10/18 all refundable reservations booked from today on will remain refundable even after an itinerary is changed.

Refundable reservations booked prior to today continue to lose refundability if any itinerary change is made -- cancel and rebook, don't change if you need to retain refundability.

I expect official communication from Southwest will come soon.

Nice, but this whole "reservations booked prior to today - same old rules" thing is annoying. I have 25 flights booked between now and June. I guess any of those I have to cancel + rebook if price goes down. But then if one does get rebooked I can now re-price that without rebooking. Why can't they just make the change across the board? I might as well just wait until June before I start implanting this new "rule" of theirs.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

The policy was actually a side-effect of the "Next Generation Reservation System," and I assume that they have found a way to eliminate it's need operationally, but only going forward.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ave1024
Nice, but this whole "reservations booked prior to today - same old rules" thing is annoying. I have 25 flights booked between now and June. I guess any of those I have to cancel + rebook if price goes down. But then if one does get rebooked I can now re-price that without rebooking. Why can't they just make the change across the board? I might as well just wait until June before I start implanting this new "rule" of theirs.
You have 25 refundable WN flights between now and June? Is there an advantage to booking refundable flights that far in advance?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

You have 25 refundable WN flights between now and June? Is there an advantage to booking refundable flights that far in advance?

all points flights. So they are essentially WGA fares.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:38 pm

Don't you get points credited back if you change to a lower point flight anyway?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

I don’t think this affects you then.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
The policy was actually a side-effect of the "Next Generation Reservation System," and I assume that they have found a way to eliminate it's need operationally ...
Hrmph. I'm more cynical, and would love the name of the party that brought the lawsuit.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

FYI: It's currently unclear if the loss of refundability of the 9/11 Security Fee on WGA points bookings (after itinerary change) has also been addressed. Hopefully we'll have some data points soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.