Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight to Cancun Cancelled . ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Not sure that wouldn't irritate the Mexicans just a little, slowing down the approvals.
Or more likely inflating the cost!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Mordida...?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Could take a LONG time to resolve.

Mexican stand-off is in play. Not an oversight or a paperwork error.

Mexico is not in any giving 'final sign off' to approve these routes. Why? The US DOT recently put conditions on a proposed Delta/Aeromexico joint venture. Mexican authorities thought uncontested approval was a given when they in turn gave US airlines tentative approval for these routes/flights into Mexico. Nope.

"The US DOT...proposes the carriers divest slots for six new daily international flights from JFK... It also proposes the divestiture of slots for 24 new international flights from Mexico City."

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/11/...ative-approval

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 10, 2016 at 6:50 am
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All this comes down to the fact that calling WN, DOT or Mexican authorities is completely worthless. If anybody knew, there would be great fanfare and it would all be publicly announced as a victory by all concerned.

This will create real capacity pressure going forward as people who naively believe that their flight will be a "go" sit and wait until they are forced to reroute. Those who do so now will come out better even if they are stuck on lousy WN reroutes or, because of the mutual WN vs. rest of industry desire not to interline, purchase tickets on other carriers.
At least on interline carriers, one would simply have new tickets. With the refund WN and purchase new tickets, you are stuck with rising prices.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:22 am

So this only affects new WN routes to Mexico, not ones that have already been in service from other cities/airports?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
So this only affects new WN routes to Mexico, not ones that have already been in service from other cities/airports?
Only the routes they started operating before they had regulatory approval.

There's not much evidence for the following:

"Southwest said it is contacting passengers to offer them flight alternatives or refunds."
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by parismama
Every day since Nov. 4, AA has been canceling their flights from MIA to MID, which was one of the new routes approved into Mexico, along with the new Southwest route.
Unlike Southwest, Republic Airways, the operating carrier, never started flying the route. And, unlike Southwest, will only do so once it receives final approval.

AA begins new flights from LAX to CUN and PVR on Dec. 15, and says it already has all the regulatory approvals it needs.

Oops Moment for Southwest
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The correct paperwork is now in hand and WN can operate the new LAX-CUN/PVR/SJD flights legally. They're back in operation as of 11 December 16.

And, yes, the company operated the first few flights without proper authorizations.

Originally Posted by expert7700
Mexico is not in any giving 'final sign off' to approve these routes. Why? The US DOT recently put conditions on a proposed Delta/Aeromexico joint venture. Mexican authorities thought uncontested approval was a given when they in turn gave US airlines tentative approval for these routes/flights into Mexico. Nope.
The timing of the two events you're describing doesn't quite line up. Unless you believe the Mexican DOT was holding the paperwork up pending response from the US DOT on the DL/AM JV application.

Also, while there is no obligation to approve the JV the treaty makes it pretty clear that the route authorities must be approved. Then again, the US screwed Norwegian for 3 years under similar circumstances so it isn't like the US DOT has much of a leg to stand on when complaining about this one.

(Link to my website; you've been warned)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
I just got a cancellation notice for my return on Monday so not sure what to believe
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:04 am

Only LAX flights?

Based on what I've interpreted here and other places, it appears that the only flights affected from and to LAX and Mexico. All other WN gateways to Mexico are not affected, such as the flights from SNA to PVR?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by sactoroy
Based on what I've interpreted here and other places, it appears that the only flights affected from and to LAX and Mexico. All other WN gateways to Mexico are not affected, such as the flights from SNA to PVR?
Correct
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
so they dont plan to give any LUV coupons or anything, because they are blaming the issue on mexico not them. I'm blaming them because they didn't keep us informed and it took over 2-3 hours to get my flights fixed. Should I keep trying or just accept it?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:59 am

I'd send a short snail mail letter and hope for the best.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
so they dont plan to give any LUV coupons or anything, because they are blaming the issue on mexico not them.
Based on media statements or WN's reply to you?

Southwest started new routes without authorization. That's not Mexico's fault. A total of 40 flights were canceled during the four-day suspension of service. Some pax got email notification - while others got nothing. They should be compensated if email and phone contact info was in their PNR.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:18 pm

Should. But nothing in the CoC requires them to do anything. All evidence on social media seems to indicate that they are not. I suspect it's a case where the persistent may get some sort of compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.