Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here ever gotten $100 extension fee on travel funds waived?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone here ever gotten $100 extension fee on travel funds waived?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MiniMuffin
The problem I have is that I booked a flight a couple days ago that I canceled and I accidentally tied it to the expiring funds. For them to not even refund that portion, the portion that only had a window of about five days before it expired, is simply ridiculous.
It won't make you feel better, but this has been WN policy for a long time. I think it is even in their terms and conditions.

Mixing TTFs with other funds, whether TTFs or cash or a voucher or gift card in the purchase of a new ticket makes the whole ball of wax take on the soonest expiration. Most of us have fallen into that trap.

Search the word "taint" in this forum to see.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I've always had good experiences with Southwest, but the one-two punch of breaking my bag and then this nonsense with the travel funds just sucks. It doesn't take much to keep customers happy - they just want to feel heard. We're seriously talking about like $40 and apology, but they refused. Anyway, nothing more to discuss, they won't reverse a customer mistake. Good to know.

This is neither here nor there, but why do you guys abbreviate Southwest as WN?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I've always had good experiences with Southwest, but the one-two punch of breaking my bag and then this nonsense with the travel funds just sucks. It doesn't take much to keep customers happy - they just want to feel heard. We're seriously talking about like $40 and apology, but they refused. Anyway, nothing more to discuss, they won't reverse a customer mistake. Good to know.

It's 40 bucks. Get over it.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
It's 40 bucks. Get over it.
So if someone stole $40 from you, you would be fine with it?

Last edited by MiniMuffin; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:04 pm
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If someone "stole" $40 from me, I would report it to law enforcement and offer to testify if the prosecutor brought the case.

WN did not steal anything from you. You simply did not follow the rules and want a second break. WN generally does not give one-time breaks, but you got that with your WGA fare. Now you want a second "one-time" exception.

As to the bag, stop linking the two issues. If WN damaged it and will not cover the fair market value of a repair (I note fair market value, not replacement), file a DOT complaint.

The CC is issued by a CC issuer, not WN. WN could care less.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If someone "stole" $40 from me, I would report it to law enforcement and offer to testify if the prosecutor brought the case.

WN did not steal anything from you. You simply did not follow the rules and want a second break. WN generally does not give one-time breaks, but you got that with your WGA fare. Now you want a second "one-time" exception.

As to the bag, stop linking the two issues. If WN damaged it and will not cover the fair market value of a repair (I note fair market value, not replacement), file a DOT complaint.

I bought flights from Southwest to add to the points that I am getting from the card. I also book my flights based on being able to used points for one leg. So I was buying flights almost exclusively from Southwest due to my card. Sorry I had to spell that out for you and you couldn't figure it out -- I'm sure Southwest "could care less" when they lose customers. New card, new carrier, not buying flights from Southwest anymore.

And I can link to the two incidents all I want as reasons I'm not flying Southwest anymore. I'm not sure why it bothers you, but both of them matter to me. It was actually a brand new bag and it was only the second time I had used it too, so they really suck.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I truly hope you find better 'service' on whatever airline you choose. To that end, I strongly suggest that you read their terms and conditions.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
It is the airline code assigned by IATA.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Often1
Actually, WN probably could care more than they have shown.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Actually, WN probably could care more than they have shown.
Every customer-facing business understands that there are customers who cannot be made happy and will be lost at some point. If it is not over one thing, it is over another. That is why these businesses, including WN and other carriers spend a lot of money on CRM software.

Presumably, WN made OP very happy with the slack it cut him on the ticket which should have been forfeited when he failed to follow the rules. That was a good move by WN because it presrved a customer. Now, the same thing has happened again. OP wants a second "one-time" exception and the reality is that if WN does this one, will OP ask for a third or a fourth?

While, there is no high-level thinking about this one incident or this one customer, as a general matter, having received a one-time break on a carrier which is rules-oriented when it comes to revenue despite the cutsie rhetoric, WN simply cuts its losses now and that is the end of it.

Neither UA, AA nor DL would even think of reinstating a ticket or expired miles other than for a top-level elite or on payment of substantial fees or without a significant reason, e.g. medical emergency. So, when this happens again, the grass not only will not be any greener, but will be just as brown.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:26 am

Stop. Please. Just stop.

Your opening message: “I thought if I folded it into a new reservation, it would extend it, so I booked a $70 flight with it. It didn't extend it and it still expires.”

Suddenly, it’s “The problem I have is that I booked a flight a couple days ago that I canceled and I accidentally tied it to the expiring funds.”

We know exactly what you did. There was no accident. You intentionally booked a cheap flight with new funds, and then immediately cancelled it, thinking the old funds would be tied to the new funds, giving yourself another year. Instead, it went the other way. It wasn’t an ‘accident’. You said yourself that you thought it would extend it.

As for the “customer service extend 1 time service blah blah”, you clearly had a one-time exception granted. It seems like you want a one-time exception granted for every little condition (and I’m sure you’ve never gone to the web to report how great a company was when they granted you the one time exception).

From the boarding pass to the screens at the gate, Southwest is constantly abbreviated WN. I'm surprised such a loyal customer (that apparently hasn’t flown in a year) hasn't noticed that.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

I sent an email laying out both my grievances and unpleasant experience with the travel funds department to let them know why I planned to no longer used Southwest anymore. Southwest called me and they are going to refund me. Guess I will stick with Southwest after all.

Too late for the credit card situation, but I got a credit card that can transfer points to Southwest.

Last edited by MiniMuffin; Mar 10, 2019 at 11:04 pm
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I sent an email laying out both my grievances and unpleasant experience with the travel funds department to let them know why I planned to no longer used Southwest anymore. Southwest called me and they are going to refund me. Guess I will stick with Southwest after all.
Or at least until your next complaint when you drag WN through the mud.

Look, I don't blame you for trying to get your refund. I think what bothers people and why you got some snarky replies is that you were ready to switch airlines over your mistake.

This isn't specific to you as other posters do the same thing but instead of being humble about it and trying to email WN first, you came here and posted your complaint, bad-mouthed WN, etc, when in the end your email did the trick and you got what you wanted.

People tend to be much more forgiving and helpful when others own their actions instead of trying to paint with a broad brush. Just my opinion and please don't take it personally. Glad you got what you wanted this time (again).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Maybe it's just WN's lousy IT architecture that it didn't pick up the second "one-time" policy exception.

As to the CC, well there's the hit to the credit score for applying for the new card as a reminder.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:26 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
You intentionally booked a cheap flight with new funds, and then immediately cancelled it...
OP actually made an additional mistake by failing to cancel immediately. The newly added funds would have been refundable for 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.