Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reflections on a year on Southwest out of MDW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

This year, after a 10 year gap, I’m back to moderately heavy business travel. If you live in Chicago and travel a good deal for work you inevitably have to answer the question: “what airline should I fly”? Where many cities have a primary carrier that makes the decision easy, in Chicago there are realistically three airlines (American, United, Southwest) with large networks that you can choose for domestic travel. How you select the airline depends on a number of factors but if you have several airlines going to the same place for about the same fare it’s an open question.

In 2016 I decided to make Southwest my “airline of choice” if all other factors were equal. Here are some of my reflections on a year on Southwest.

1) Through a combination of credit card miles and flying quite a bit I was able to get A-list and even companion pass in 2016; which was one of the goals of consolidating my travel. I’m curious to see how much value I get out of companion pass in 2017.

2) I was able to get almost anywhere I needed to go on Southwest via a nonstop flight. With the exception of a trip to Charlotte (one daily nonstop I think) it seems that they went where I went.

3) Midway vs. O’Hare is a major factor in whether or not you choose Southwest. I live about equidistant from both so that is not an issue. The key difference from my perspective is when it comes to things like weather delays. If a big thunderstorm or snow comes through you might get a 45 minute average delay at Midway. At O’Hare, count on 2 hours. When the snow comes, Midway catches a cold, O’Hare gets pneumonia. O’Hare is so big it just seems to have a harder time catching up. That’s not UA or AA’s fault, it’s an outcome of being at O’Hare.

4) Ground transportation at O’Hare also tends to be far more backed up and complicated than Midway. I use a pre-arranged car or Uber and generally they arrive 5-10 minutes faster at Midway.

5) Whatever you do…do NOT check your bag to Midway.

6) Getting A-List isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The thing about A-list I was most looking forward to was being able to be freed from the drudgery of making sure I was on my phone or at my computer to check in EXACTLY 24 hours before the flight to check in. To not do so risked the “C” boarding card. Well, it’s better with A-list, I generally find myself in the area of A45 for most flights which is good but doesn’t help as much as I hoped. The reason is…

7) There are only 6 seats that matter on a Southwest flight. Essentially, if I cant get an aisle or window exit row seat, there is (for me at least) no difference in any other seat (not including the dreaded middle seat of course). In my experience with A-list I have about a 50% chance of getting one of these coveted 6 seats; after that I might as well have “B33” because I can always get an aisle somewhere with that. I find this a bit discouraging

8) I don’t think I had an empty seat next to me all year on Southwest.

9) (In my experience) Southwest was nearly always on-time. Delays and cancellations that I suffered this year were minimal. Of course, maybe I was just lucky.

So overall, it was a good year. Southwest did what you need from an airline and got me where I wanted to go with minimal disruptions. The crews were OK, the planes, OK, the whole experience…OK.

And that’s what is bothering me. Many years ago I was a Gold Medallion frequent flyer on Delta. There were two things that “moved the needle” for me on my travel/flights. One, was the opportunity for a first class upgrade. A first class upgrade completely changed my mindset on a flight from one of survival (e.g. just get this over) to one of relaxation. An aisle or exit row seat makes the trip less taxing, a first class upgrade makes it (almost) enjoyable. I realize that bagging an upgrade is harder than ever these days but just the chance that you could get one every once in a while seems enticing. With Southwest I know the best I’ll ever get is a 50% chance at an exit row seat. It just seems so discouraging.

The second thing I would get excited about was saving up miles for a big international trip. I knew what it took for that European seat upgrade or free ticket and the monthly statements were like a countdown to a great trip. Again, on Southwest I’m happy to have the miles and use them for family trips around the US but there is something about a big business class international ticket that is more alluring.

Since I’ve already made A-List and have secured Companion Pass for 2017 I really don’t have a pressing reason to keep me on SWA for the rest of this year (not going to make A+). So in the last couple of months of the year I decided to try United and American to see what I might be missing. Well, so far, to quote REO Speedwagon (in Riding the Storm Out) I “ain’t missing a thing”. As I write this I’m sitting in the Sacramento airport watching a huge line at the gate as my UA flight to Chicago has been first delayed and now plane changed (reseating half the plane). No weather, no storms, just operational issues at UA. The flight out was also delayed 40 minutes because they couldn’t get the previous flight out of the gate on time. From this vantage point “OK” sounds really good right now.

The last 2 months will be an audition for AA and UA to help me decide what to do next year. Do I make one of them my “default” airlines in 2017? Should I rack up some status and see if I can get any of the elusive upgrades? Or do I stick with Southwest and accept travel “as is”? As I think about it, it will likely come down to 3 factors: the value of companion pass, my experience with United and American (and O’Hare) over the next 60 days, and the ability to secure upgrades. We’ll see how it goes…

One thing I would be curious about is any input from frequent UA and AA (especially ORD) flyers on their experiences as to the value of status on those airlines. (I know, wrong forum for that I may post that question separately)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:56 am

As a very frequent WN MDW flyer:

3) Agreed, with the exception that, in my experience Southwest has an itchy trigger finger when it comes to cancelling flights due to "weather." Three times last year I had to buy last minute flights out of O'Hare after WN cancelled and could not reaccommodate me for several days. (Full disclosure: One of those was during the IT meltdown.)

5) ...unless you don't mind a routine 45 minute wait to get it back.

8) Me either. I can't remember the last non-full WN flight I had.

9) You were very, very lucky.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
That was an excellent analysis by the OP. Very Good!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I envy you. MDW used to be my 2nd home as a very easy & convenient transfer point between ISP and the rest of the WN world. Then they got rid of those too convenient flights when LGA opened up. So now I suffer and rarely see MDW anymore...

The handful of times I got off at MDW (most recent summer 2015), I could not agree with you more about #5.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ursine1
As a very frequent WN MDW flyer:
5) ...unless you don't mind a routine 45 minute wait to get it back.
I find this untrue the last 6 months or so. Baggage pickup at MDW has dramatically changed in my experience. My experience is checking bags 1-2 times a month.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:03 pm

Damn good analysis... I'll be flying into Midway Saturday morning. I've been through there 3 times this year.

I have fallen in love with Chicago and can see myself moving up there in the near future, if I can find the right job of course.

Thanks for the report!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swens6
I have fallen in love with Chicago and can see myself moving up there in the near future, if I can find the right job of course.
Bring warm clothes.

Also money for taxes which keep going up, brutally, and will never stop due to various pension crises. We are looking to get out of here.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
I find this untrue the last 6 months or so. Baggage pickup at MDW has dramatically changed in my experience. My experience is checking bags 1-2 times a month.
Checking, with the new self bag tag kiosks, is much improved. Getting them back continues to be challenging. (7 return flights since Sept. 1.) I suppose it has much to do with arrival time; mine tend to be later in the evening on Mondays, and occasional Sundays.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I can't say I've ever had an issue with getting my bags at MDW although I'm usually arrive during slower times of the day.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Bring warm clothes.

Also money for taxes which keep going up, brutally, and will never stop due to various pension crises. We are looking to get out of here.
Thats what I've heard, the winters are brutal... I've been up there June through this weekend and its been amazing.

I just love downtown, everything to offer. And taxes are going up everywhere, my property tax is out of control right now.

As for what others have said about baggage, yes, picking up bags at MDW sucks.. The last two trips I've waited prob 15m and 20m respectively. We will see how tomorrow goes with flying in late morning on a Saturday.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by mdc22474
The last 2 months will be an audition for AA and UA to help me decide what to do next year. Do I make one of them my “default” airlines in 2017? Should I rack up some status and see if I can get any of the elusive upgrades? Or do I stick with Southwest and accept travel “as is”? As I think about it, it will likely come down to 3 factors: the value of companion pass, my experience with United and American (and O’Hare) over the next 60 days, and the ability to secure upgrades. We’ll see how it goes…

One thing I would be curious about is any input from frequent UA and AA (especially ORD) flyers on their experiences as to the value of status on those airlines. (I know, wrong forum for that I may post that question separately)
Just my two cents, "free upgrades" on all the U.S. majors are either gone (in my experience as a 6-yr 1K on UA) or going away. 2009 upgrades galore on UA, now, hardly any at all. All you have to do is look at these airlines' investor day presentations. Every airline has higher, PAID load factors in F than ever before. Even as a 1K on UA, if I want a seat in F, I'll pay for it. DL and AA have very, very competitive fares as well in F. I bite and so do a lot of others out there. The free upgrade game is slowly coming to an end. I just bought a one-way CLT-DEN on AA and a seat in F was only $80 than Y. That's really hard to turn down.

As for miles for biz intl trips, earn through credit cards. Plenty of ways to get those trips for free.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
I'm just curious how you can get flights & points to qualify for companion pass but not A+?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by ACEDAD
I'm just curious how you can get flights & points to qualify for companion pass but not A+?

CC points don't count as tier qualifying..

So two credit cards = 100k pts
Spend requirement = 4k pts
Two anytime flights = 6k pts

Thats your 110k for Companion pass and only 6k tier qualifying pts.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:51 am

3 - Agreed. I avoid ORD like the plague. Navigating into and through ORD is an ordeal. At MDW, I can make it to my gate within 15 minutes of parking (with TSA-PRE), and be back in my car within 10 minutes of walking off the plane, on average.

6 + 7 - The major factor in having ALP for me (besides the aisle seat) is that I can grab a seat no further back than row 6 or 7 (typically within the first few rows). This saves my about 10 minutes of waiting while unseasoned travelers fumble with their bags and take their sweet time deboarding.

9 - I've had the same experience here. The vast majority of my flights are on-time (within 5-10 minutes of scheduled time), and quite often early. If it's luck, then I've been lucky for the past few years. However, I prefer to fly in the morning, or early afternoon at the latest.

I've also found that the rewards program with WN is better than most for domestic travel. Unless you have a lot of international travel, UA and AA are a lot less "rewarding". Plus, the CP is a great perk. Regarding first class upgrades on UA and AA, those are difficult to get with a fair amount of international travel.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:44 am

Don't forget that beverage service starts in Row 9. Might come in handy with all of those drink tickets you're racking up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.