FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   I heart Love Field (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1796238-i-heart-love-field.html)

MrMan Oct 13, 2016 10:25 am

I heart Love Field

This is an admitted trite topic, but today I had a revelation of how much I love the new Love Field.

I am a 3MM flier with American and last year made the switch to WN due to DFW terminal B hell of the Eagle. While Orange County use to be my favorite airport for ease, I have now convinced myself that Love Field alone keeps me from going back to AA and First. Highlights include:

*Front door to gate in 12 minutes using UBER
*Wine bar, Stephen Pyles, Cool River
*Fast security
*Easy boarding process
*Little waiting for gate at landing
*Land in same terminal where your car is
*Employees just seem happy
*Convenience, Convenience,Convenience
*No your the 20th aircraft waiting to take off in weather
*Less ATC delays due to weather
*Always a cab waiting for you at Love as opposed to the waiting game at DFW
*Feeling of a hometown airport, seeing neighbors,even friends from other Texas cities. Just more of a friendlier space.
*You can buy a Coke or Pepsi at Love vs DFW

john398 Oct 13, 2016 11:25 am

I miss the free morning donuts at love

Also scr*w the cabs take Uber/Lyft much cheaper and much friendlier

palmetto86 Oct 13, 2016 11:31 am

*It's a beautiful terminal
*Great food options
*Starbucks everywhere
*Always spare aircraft hanging around (if needed)
*Way closer to downtown
*Ample, comfortable seating

tusphotog Oct 13, 2016 11:47 am

This was a few years ago, but I had a Friday afternoon meeting at 1p in near the convention center in downtown Dallas and a 4p flight home. We finished at 2:45, and I was at DAL and through security by 3:15p.

DAL is a great airport. I never wait more than 5 minutes for Uber, there's no toll to get into the airport, and it's generally pretty quick at security (I'm sure early mornings are busy though).

The only thing DFW has going for it is the Salt Lick BBQ joint in A. Not as good as the AUS location, but still decent for airport food.

nsx Oct 13, 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by palmetto86 (Post 27341615)
*It's a beautiful terminal
*Great food options
*Starbucks everywhere
*Always spare aircraft hanging around (if needed)
*Way closer to downtown
*Ample, comfortable seating

It's the best airport I've been through. Your Starbucks comment reminded me of this:
http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5614...iginal/640.jpg

joshua362 Oct 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Must have improved greatly over the last few years. I vividly recall flying out of there December 2010 and it was an over crowded h*ll hole (but very convenient to downtown). An adventure using the bathroom. Great job!

palmetto86 Oct 13, 2016 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 27341737)
It's the best airport I've been through. Your Starbucks comment reminded me of this:

I'll take good coffee in any form. Not that Starbucks is great or anything, I just know what I'm getting, and it's standardized. Other great coffee options in WN terminals IMO include Cartel Coffee at PHX and Mayorga at BWI (interestingly, the Mayorga brand also makes cigars).

TXVP Oct 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Love Field is great.

I originate out of the DFW area every week and fly to cities both WN and AA serve and on top of the other things posters have said, my chance of getting home without a hassle is nearly 100% on SWA vs 80% on AA. I've seen blizzards and storms ground AA but SWA almost always gets me home to DAL.

Parking has been tight for some at DAL lately, but I fly very early or very late so its not an issue for me.

With the new parking garages going in, that will soon be alleviated for a while.

carraher Oct 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Whataburger ^

aaronp84 Oct 14, 2016 7:50 am

Love field is great, however, the bathrooms are seriously lacking and entirely too small for the amount of traffic that moves through the terminal.

envgeo Oct 14, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 27341792)
Must have improved greatly over the last few years. I vividly recall flying out of there December 2010 and it was an over crowded h*ll hole (but very convenient to downtown). An adventure using the bathroom. Great job!

New terminal, so yeah, its improved.

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Oct 14, 2016 10:34 am

Since You made This About Love Field...

I would have to say the BEST thing about Love is Virgin America!!!

swag Oct 14, 2016 11:00 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 27341737)

Ironically, it was only a year or two before the new terminal opened that DAL got its first airside Starbucks. As late as 2011 or 2012, there wasn't a decent cup of coffee anywhere past security, making Love perhaps the largest airport in the country with that disticntion. The only options were a usually-long line at McDonald's, or else Cinnabon's surprisingly bad coffee.

The only thing I miss about the old Love terminal was that the whole concourse has a shared liquor permit, so you could get a beer to go at Chili's and take it to your gate.

AA Novice Oct 14, 2016 11:13 am

The new baggage carousel area is light years ahead of what they had too.

tusphotog Oct 14, 2016 11:31 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 27346236)
The only thing I miss about the old Love terminal was that the whole concourse has a shared liquor permit, so you could get a beer to go at Chili's and take it to your gate.

The new terminal doesn't have a shared liquor permit?