Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
You ever get stuck next to a huge fat smelly guy in your reserved seat on your legacy with 0% of improving? I have.

I board in the low Bs on WN and if it's going to be full I look for an aisle seat next to a child or small Asian woman in the middle seat. Problem solved.

To each his own.
Have you never had that same huge smelly guy (or a huge woman with 4 carry ons) sit down next to you after there were no more aisle seats?

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose
- Kris Kristofferson
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:08 pm

I saw two men in their late 30s preboard a few days ago. Not a problem with them. No clue why they got to preboard, so I agree with you when there is no obvious physical problem. Outside of that, preboarders are better off up front.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Have you never had that same huge smelly guy (or a huge woman with 4 carry ons) sit down next to you after there were no more aisle seats?
Not if I get to pick the occupant of the middle seat next to me.

This is why I do not really care to get A16. Much rather have something like B10, for this exact reason.

Of course, it does not always work.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Not if I get to pick the occupant of the middle seat next to me.

This is why I do not really care to get A16. Much rather have something like B10, for this exact reason.

Of course, it does not always work.
Then your SO/Friend in the middle seat gets stuck sitting next to the fat/smelly person And you would have the same thing with a legacy, just have whoever is sitting in the middle seat next to you on WN sit next to your on a legacy

I've never gotten stuck next to a smelly person but if I did I would complain to the flight attendant before the boarding door is closed. If I'm not upgraded I frequently have an exit row which means if the person is so fat they require a seatbelt extension they aren't allowed to sit there. If you fly a legacy a lot you sit up front a lot of the time which is 2-2 seating so no middle seat and plenty of room between seats and the arm rest is usually fixed. If I don't have an exit row and were to have someone seat next to me that was extremely fat I would put the arm rest down and if it wouldn't go down again complain discreetly to the FA and like on WN they would have to buy a second seat or more than likely just pay to be moved to first class.

I know some people like open seating just like some people would rather have no change fees on Southwest as opposed while others prefer being able to be put on an earlier flight for no charge on a legacy. I'll stick with my legacy carrier for my flight tomorrow since my upgrade has already cleared, probably won't clear on the return sunday but I have an aisle C+ seat on a 2-3 seating configured plane on the 2 seat side of the plane with free alcohol if I want to drink and can enjoy another coke zero instead of rushing to get on the plane for a decent seat

And I'll have the same issues with preboarders on the legacy this weekend that people on Southwest does. At least unless if they are in first or C+ i'll be able to get off the plane before them

Last edited by jamesteroh; Oct 6, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest does it right too: boarding people who have extra money first.
Not true. Just because you have money doesn't mean you get to board early. You obviously have not seen how many preboarders Southwest has.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:24 pm

You ever get stuck next to a huge fat smelly guy in your reserved seat on your legacy with 0% of improving? I have.

I board in the low Bs on WN and if it's going to be full I look for an aisle seat next to a child or small Asian woman in the middle seat. Problem solved.

To each his own.
Is smelly now a grounds to ask for a seat change as well? I'd think the radius of effect is quite wide though.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not true. Just because you have money doesn't mean you get to board early. You obviously have not seen how many preboarders Southwest has.
Or pay for EBCI and have a tight connection and/or be connecting with a severly delayed first flight and run to get to your connection gate when late B or C is boarding (happened to me a couple times but fortunately WN was great about refunding it after requesting a refund of the fee)
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alchemista
southwest pre-boards are now larger than the A group almost. it's amazing to watch - and i think each pre-boarder is allowed 1 or 2 people to join them? so you end up with one person who doesn't look like they need it + 1 or 2 others.
I've seen it where gate agents let a whole family reunion board because grandma and grandpa preboarded... matching shirts and all, took up the first 3 rows!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Miracle Flights

The flights that leave from ISP to PBI are "miracle flights". The wheelchairs are lined up on the way to Palm Beach. When the plane arrives in Palm Beach, it is a miracle!! The wheelchairs are not needed and they all run off the plane.

Pre-Boarding has become a joke!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve33
I've seen it where gate agents let a whole family reunion board because grandma and grandpa preboarded... matching shirts and all, took up the first 3 rows!
Something else that I saw one time that irritated me was when I was boarding I saw two people that preboarded together sitting in an aisle and window with an empty middle. WN should allow only ONE person to preboard with them if they require that person for assistance and one of them should be required to sit in the middle seat. If someone needs assistance preboarding then the person assisting them should be sitting next to them not taking up an aisle or window seat.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Something else that I saw one time that irritated me was when I was boarding I saw two people that preboarded together sitting in an aisle and window with an empty middle. WN should allow only ONE person to preboard with them if they require that person for assistance and one of them should be required to sit in the middle seat. If someone needs assistance preboarding then the person assisting them should be sitting next to them not taking up an aisle or window seat.
Must be really nice to be able bodied and not have to worry about this stuff.

Most preboarders need assistance boarding, not sitting. I would love to not have to preboard as the reason that I have to preboard affects many aspects of life not just getting on a plane. I realize that many people's issue with preboarding is the abuse of it. I get that and agree with those people. It's those that legitimately need it and are being lumped in with everyone else that I have a problem with.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Most preboarders need assistance boarding, not sitting.
They're boarding ahead of virtually the entire plane. Having the "assistant" sit next to the disabled person is not unreasonable.

But guidelines plainly don't work in open seating.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They're boarding ahead of virtually the entire plane. Having the "assistant" sit next to the disabled person is not unreasonable.

But guidelines plainly don't work in open seating.
Requiring the assistant or the pre-boarder to sit in a middle seat would solve all this nonsense in a second. Literally no one would object.

A third of the passengers could pre-board and everyone else would be guaranteed an aisle or a window.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justhere
Must be really nice to be able bodied and not have to worry about this stuff.

Most preboarders need assistance boarding, not sitting. I would love to not have to preboard as the reason that I have to preboard affects many aspects of life not just getting on a plane. I realize that many people's issue with preboarding is the abuse of it. I get that and agree with those people. It's those that legitimately need it and are being lumped in with everyone else that I have a problem with.
And if someone is preboarding because they need to I have no issue with it. But their entire family shouldn't be preboarding with them and the person boarding with them should take the middle seat. If they need assistance to getting their seat they are probably going to need assistance from that person going to the lav or deplaning.

I broke my femur a few years ago and couldn't weight bear for a few months. While I didn't fly during that time period, if I would have flown on WN and had a companion preboard with me (which I would have needed to stow my bag) I wouldn't have had an issue at all asking him to sit in the middle seat or me taking the middle and him an aisle.

Fortunately I didn't have to fly until after I was walking without an assistance device and until I was fully recovered I didn't chose an exit row on any flight.

And I know people needing assistance also suffer as a result of people abusing the system. There were several times when I was on crutches I couldn't find a handicap parking space or had to wait on a cart at a store.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:14 pm

The idea of requiring those accompanying the preboarders to take a middle seat is a good one; also the idea of requiring preboarders to get off last. If the reasoning behind preboarding is some people need more time, obviously they need more time to get off as well. I see the folks being met with wheelchairs waiting in their seats until everybody is off. But many folks who arrive in a wheelchair find themselves perfectly able to depart on foot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.