Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Yet another rant about EBCI & seat saving (was Sw airlines reputation crashing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another rant about EBCI & seat saving (was Sw airlines reputation crashing)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Hank Moody
The problem is that it's not intuitively wrong to save a seat for your companion. In other social settings (e.g. a movie theater), saving a place in line is the quite the norm.

Did the guy on this flight intentionally game the WN system? I don't know. I just wish the airline would clarify the policy so all could operate under a common set of rules.
This analogy is completely wrong. Movie theaters aren't selling early access to get in line in front of someone else.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aaronp84
This analogy is completely wrong. Movie theaters aren't selling early access to get in line in front of someone else.
And for the most part these days, movie theaters have moved to assigned seating.

Honestly, in the case of Southwest, if it was 1-for-1 seat saving of an adjacent (middle) seat only, I don't think anyone would have a big problem with it. In the slightly upthread example, it was a guy sitting in an aisle trying to save another desirable aisle seat. That's piggish behavior and I'm glad he got called out on it and got pissed about it. If he'd simply saved the middle seat next to him, it would have been no problem.

Seems like Southwest could craft a reasonable policy here, expressly permitting very limited seat saving, that accommodates almost all situations in about 2-3 sentences.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Last week, we boarded a flight from LAX to MDW. Three of us were traveling as a family and paid for priority boarding. We got A59-B02 and located the first empty row immediately behind a wing.
Priority boarding, or just regular Early-bird Check-in? I doubt its the former, since that should have gotten you in between A-1 and A-15. If its the latter.... Imagine what your boarding position would have been without it.

I don't get EBCI often (usually just for my return trip since I'm not always in a position to check-in right at T-24) but when I do, it does its job and it does it well. I'll take A-59 over B-59 every time. But typically, I've bought my tickets far enough in advance that my EBCI is usually in the neighborhood of A-20 to A-25. Every time.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Last week, we boarded a flight from LAX to MDW. Three of us were traveling as a family and paid for priority boarding. We got A59-B02 and located the first empty row immediately behind a wing.

Someone's belongings were placed in the aisle seat, which belonged to a man sitting across the aisle who was saving that seat for his wife. The next available row was near the very back of the plane.

I asked if his wife had boarded the plane. When he said she hadn't, I said there was no seat saving and asked him to remove the belongings. He eventually did, though not until throwing some angry insults my way.

We got our row, though not without paying the price of an awkward and uncomfortable flight directly across from this individual. I've written to WN to explain how unpleasant and unfair and ambiguous the current policy is.

I think next time, I simply won't pay-up for a better seat, since actually getting the seat sometimes comes with an emotional cost.
It is amazing the splitting of the hairs that can go on here over this issue.

#1 was piggish of the man to save an adjacent aisle seat but not against any "rules".

#2 There were no other empty rows nearby boarding at A59? I'm finding that hard to believe unless there was an unusual number of through passengers headed to Orlando.

#3 How did you board in this case? Did A59-60 save seats for B01-02 since family boarding had to take place in between?

"Sometimes we just have to all get along." Charlie Runkle.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Okay, then how long can one save a seat? Do you object if I hold the middle seat next to me so I can have more room on the flight?
If the flight isn't full and you can pull it off, more power to you.

And if the flight isn't full there is going to be an open seat somewhere so middles are the most likely to remain open anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Seems like Southwest could craft a reasonable policy here, expressly permitting very limited seat saving, that accommodates almost all situations in about 2-3 sentences.
Most unlikely. LUV means no enforcement mechanism or on-board arbitration, a priori consequences of seat saving directives.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by joshua362
I've come to realize that to some people, Southwest's boarding process ranks somewhere up there with quantam physics and advanced calculus on the spectrum of easy-to-understand sciences.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

You both can and cannot save seats. Here is how it works, you can TRY to save a seat and be within the rules. However, someone can TAKE that seat anyhow and be within the rules.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:01 am

Isn't that great? But when common sense and courtesy don't apply, the person with the stronger personality for conflict will prevail...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:13 pm

Hi -

I am surprised that this issue keeps having the legs that it has. A similar thread I started a few years ago sparked a lengthy, often viewed and spirited discussion.

My response was to take my CP-level flying (no CC, just BIS) and become a 75K on Alaska and a Mosaic on JetBlue. I am now down to 1-2 WN segments a year.

For those that can't stand seat-saving WN style (and I count myself as one), I encourage you to find alternatives -- there usually are. WN doesn't care, the other carriers are happy to have your business and you have a lot less stress and hassle.

Everybody wins.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Isn't that great? But when common sense and courtesy don't apply, the person with the stronger personality for conflict will prevail...
Well yes
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:43 am

It was EBCI.
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Priority boarding, or just regular Early-bird Check-in? I doubt its the former, since that should have gotten you in between A-1 and A-15. If its the latter.... Imagine what your boarding position would have been without it.

I don't get EBCI often (usually just for my return trip since I'm not always in a position to check-in right at T-24) but when I do, it does its job and it does it well. I'll take A-59 over B-59 every time. But typically, I've bought my tickets far enough in advance that my EBCI is usually in the neighborhood of A-20 to A-25. Every time.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:50 am

#2: As I explained above, there were no empty rows nearby or we would have taken one. The only rows were near the back.

#3: We had A59, A60 and B01. The gate agent allowed us to board together.

#1 was piggish of the man to save an adjacent aisle seat but not against any "rules".

#2 There were no other empty rows nearby boarding at A59? I'm finding that hard to believe unless there was an unusual number of through passengers headed to Orlando.

#3 How did you board in this case? Did A59-60 save seats for B01-02 since family boarding had to take place in between?

"Sometimes we just have to all get along." Charlie Runkle.

Last edited by Hank Moody; Jan 10, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

#2: As I explained above, there were no empty rows nearby or we would have taken one. The only rows were near the back.

#3: We had A59, A60 and B01. The gate agent allowed us to board together.
#2 - well everyone's definition of "nearby" is different as well as "back". What is wrong with the back being past row 13 anyway? All seats arrive at the same time.

#3 - so you were cut a break! Nice if you could have cut your fellow man one too!

Otherwise there might have been 20-30 people boarding between A60 and B01 and YOU would have been the one saving a seat! Would you have felt differently then?

I wonder how the real Hank Moody would have felt, I think he lets it pass and saves the conflict for more important matters...
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:15 pm

Well, I respectfully disagree on both points.

#2, the passenger holding the seat was taking advantage of the system. His wife didn't board until the very end. Yes, everyone's definition is different, but if I didn't care about back of the plane, I wouldn't have paid for early boarding.

#3 You would have expected us to leave our 7 year old daughter who had B-01 behind? In that case, we would have saved a middle seat for her, and I would not have complained if someone else had done the same.

#2 - well everyone's definition of "nearby" is different as well as "back". What is wrong with the back being past row 13 anyway? All seats arrive at the same time.

#3 - so you were cut a break! Nice if you could have cut your fellow man one too!

Otherwise there might have been 20-30 people boarding between A60 and B01 and YOU would have been the one saving a seat! Would you have felt differently then?

I wonder how the real Hank Moody would have felt, I think he lets it pass and saves the conflict for more important matters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.