Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gate checking an oversize bag: no longer free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I have always gate checked a bag for free so this is new. I chalk it up as a moving expense so it's no big deal but a warning for all:

If you have already checked two bags and attempt to check a 3rd at the gate it will cost the $75. I don't know if this is new or just because the flight isn't full but I just paid for it. It's a shame because I checked a box instead when if I knew I was going to pay $75 anyway i would've just made my suitcase overweight. Live and learn I guess!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Why not just bring it on the plane? Was it oversized but you've been able to sneak it to the gate in the past? I guess someone got wise and noticed you already had 2 below. The overweight fee is at least $50 IIRC so you didn't lose much.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Why not just bring it on the plane? Was it oversized but you've been able to sneak it to the gate in the past? I guess someone got wise and noticed you already had 2 below. The overweight fee is at least $50 IIRC so you didn't lose much.
My bag isn't going to fit in the overhead. I'm not going to stand there and shove it in. Not worth the hassle. If I knew it'd be $75 I'd have tried to sneak it on
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If the bag is clearly too large for the bins then this does seem fair. I've never before heard of charging a bag fee at the gate, though.

The next stage in this game is keeping the third bag down to a plausible carry-on size.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Why did you knowingly bring a bag past security that wouldn't fit in the overhead? As you already checked your two free bags at the ticket counter, it sounds like you were attempting to take advantage of the system here.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elron938
Why did you knowingly bring a bag past security that wouldn't fit in the overhead? As you already checked your two free bags at the ticket counter, it sounds like you were attempting to take advantage of the system here.
I knew it would be close, but I used the sizeometer and it was sticking out. I was not attempting to game the system but I also saw the flight would be close to full so I didn't want to try any games.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
If the bag is clearly too large for the bins then this does seem fair. I've never before heard of charging a bag fee at the gate, though.

The next stage in this game is keeping the third bag down to a plausible carry-on size.
It probably would've fit. It was close. I was trying to help. I have my life packed in 3 suitcases so it's part of the process
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:36 am

So, you've done this before and got away with it? Why would you think you could check three bags for free? This is absolutely nothing new, just first time you got caught.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
So, you've done this before and got away with it? Why would you think you could check three bags for free? This is absolutely nothing new, just first time you got caught.
I need to clarify. I have gate checked three times previously. Once, they had no room in the overhead. The second was a full flight, third was not full but I offered to gate check.

I've always been told that gate checking is free. My intention was not to gate check but once I saw there would be no way I figured doing the right thing would be better than slamming it in.

I've spent over $3000 on moving, so $75 is a drop in the bucket but if I knew I was going to pay $75 anyway I would've checked it at the counter
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:10 pm

Gate checking a regulation size carry on when there is no overhead space is free. Gate checking a third non carry on size bag is not free.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jco613
My bag isn't going to fit in the overhead. I'm not going to stand there and shove it in. Not worth the hassle. If I knew it'd be $75 I'd have tried to sneak it on
So why not just check it, or are you trying to be a thief?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
OP, did you gate check with the ops agent at the jetbridge door during boarding or with an agent at the gate podium before boarding? The agent at the gate podium could probably see the luggage already checked under your PNR when they print out the tag. The ops agent at the jetbridge would not have this info and use a handwritten tag. Did you explain to the agent what you were trying to do? Maybe a very polite "Hey, I was planning to carry this on but have a feeling it is going to be a tight squeeze in the bins. I don't want to delay the boarding process so would you mind gate checking for me?" Expect to pay $75 and then be pleasantly surprised if the agent obliges for free. Follow that up with a Kick Tail coupon. For the record, I am not condoning doing so on a regular basis or to knowingly get around the 2 free checked bags policy.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chuckworth
OP, did you gate check with the ops agent at the jetbridge door during boarding or with an agent at the gate podium before boarding? The agent at the gate podium could probably see the luggage already checked under your PNR when they print out the tag. The ops agent at the jetbridge would not have this info and use a handwritten tag. Did you explain to the agent what you were trying to do? Maybe a very polite "Hey, I was planning to carry this on but have a feeling it is going to be a tight squeeze in the bins. I don't want to delay the boarding process so would you mind gate checking for me?" Expect to pay $75 and then be pleasantly surprised if the agent obliges for free. Follow that up with a Kick Tail coupon. For the record, I am not condoning doing so on a regular basis or to knowingly get around the 2 free checked bags policy.
This is what I should've done. I was chatting with my ops agent at a previous flight so I probably could've gotten away with it. Trust me I'm not trying to do anything funny, I was just trying to do the right thing and then I got too far into it or I would e just carried on and hoped for the best.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Interesting. I think I would have tried to take it on-board and then if it doesn't fit, let them check it for free.

I still don't know why they would charge at the gate if you were replacing a carry-on.

AA, so far, allows unlimited gate check-ins for free. Of course, you have to get the desired bags past security to use that option.

I think if you wrote SWA about this, you could get a refund or voucher at the very least because of the carry-on allowance.

Rasheed
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jco613
I have always gate checked a bag for free so this is new. I chalk it up as a moving expense so it's no big deal but a warning for all:

If you have already checked two bags and attempt to check a 3rd at the gate it will cost the $75. I don't know if this is new or just because the flight isn't full but I just paid for it. It's a shame because I checked a box instead when if I knew I was going to pay $75 anyway i would've just made my suitcase overweight. Live and learn I guess!
I think it is natural, many people abuse gate check. I see no reason in complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.