Just got my TSA KTN. Now What?

Old Sep 16, 16, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Just got my TSA KTN. Now What?

I just received my TSA KTN. What do I now need to do to make sure I can use it? I have a couple existing Southwest reservations. My RR also has just my middle initial while I used my full middle name for my TSA application. Do I need to call Southwest and have the KTN added to my existing tickets? Do I need to have them also change the name on the tickets (will they even do this)? What about my RR profile? Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 16, 10:45 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Middle name on the reservation does not matter as long as your KTN is tied to your RR account. You do need to call SW Customer Service and have them add your KTN to exiting reservations to get precheck on those, otherwise just go update the # on your RR account online and you will be good to go for future reservations...but you do need to call your KTN in for tickets you have already booked.
Old Sep 16, 16, 8:08 pm

Isn't the mismatch middle name going to be a problem, keeping TSA PRE from printing on the boarding pass?
Old Sep 16, 16, 9:00 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
I don't think so anymore...I fly on a regular basis and I have booked flights with my RR #, had my business partner and/or business manager build me a reservation with middle name, no middle name, only middle initial...never been a problem except for trying to rebook unused flight credits. That is a freakin scam if they don't exactly match...but PreCheck...no problem
Old Oct 7, 16, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Isn't the mismatch middle name going to be a problem, keeping TSA PRE from printing on the boarding pass?
Just a quick update. I had the KTN added to my reservation over the phone, but did not change the middle name on my RR account or ticket. When I checked in last night, pre check was on the boarding pass.
Old Oct 7, 16, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anecdotally, there is a higher "fail" rate when there is an inexact match between the KTN and the ticketed name. This may be a very small rate, but with a KTN you should be at or near 100%, so no reason for it to be anything but.

At some point when you have the time, have WN change your RR account to match your KTN exactly with no differences in middle name or punctuation.

Do the same thing with other air carrier profiles.
Old Oct 7, 16, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Does WN's system allow hyphens yet? Years ago it did not. Have not tried to update wife's surname in a long time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: