Schedule opened up today

Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Schedule opened up today

I knew that I wanted to fly my family of 5 from Islip to Tampa for the school break in April of 2017. As soon as it opened up today I booked direct flights, over and done for $2,179.00. I know how quickly prices change so for the heck of it I just checked for the exact dates and times. In a few short hours the price has already increased by $1,000.00! I feel like I scored big time.....
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
In my experience the first couple of days of a schedule opening the prices are ridiculous with Wanna Get Away fares not even displaying. Make sure to check back occasionally to refare your tickets.

Anyone find any new interesting routes? DEN-BZE Saturday only is the only one I found.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by bgriz18
In my experience the first couple of days of a schedule opening the prices are ridiculous with Wanna Get Away fares not even displaying. Make sure to check back occasionally to refare your tickets.

Anyone find any new interesting routes? DEN-BZE Saturday only is the only one I found.
OAK-PVR/SJD available for purchase. Also HOU-OMA.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Clamqueen
I knew that I wanted to fly my family of 5 from Islip to Tampa for the school break in April of 2017. As soon as it opened up today I booked direct flights, over and done for $2,179.00. I know how quickly prices change so for the heck of it I just checked for the exact dates and times. In a few short hours the price has already increased by $1,000.00! I feel like I scored big time.....
I fly MSP/TPA every year in early April. Prices have opened very high the last couple years and dropped.

I can always get a R/T flight for ~21K points. I'm not sure what that is in $$ but this year I'm seeing ~32k.

Prices will drop IMO
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bgriz18

Thanks, I'll do that!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:44 am

On Day 2, the flights I booked only yesterday for March LAX-SMF have dropped about 100 points, so I rebooked immediately.

Meanwhile, a PHX-SMF trip for November that was booked a few months back showed up yesterday for 4647 points, rather than 5657, so I rebooked it yesterday. Today it is being offered for 11947 points. That's quite a change. The fare three days back was roughly at that higher level.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:45 am

I booked BUF-FLL r/t for end of Feb right after the previous schedule was released. I was surprised the fare was only $250. Last year it was almost $500. And I had 2 LUV vouchers,so I scored a rt for $50
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:18 am

Don't know if this is the right thread but I was looking for any insights as to the sweet spot for reward bookings for Sept 30 returning Oct 2. Headed to Vegas from east coast and two years ago I was Able to do 29k. 40k today?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Don't know if this is the right thread but I was looking for any insights as to the sweet spot for reward bookings for Sept 30 returning Oct 2. Headed to Vegas from east coast and two years ago I was Able to do 29k. 40k today?
Always book with points immediately. If the price drops, refare and you get the difference in points back w/o fee. Or cancel up to almost departure for free.

No reason at all to wait.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the tip. I take it I will not have to pay the $5.6 TSA fee each time I refare ?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Thanks for the tip. I take it I will not have to pay the $5.6 TSA fee each time I refare ?
thats correct just click change and select the same flights when the price is lower whether price or points and your 5.60 or TSA fee will carry over

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.