Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Curb Check-In Agent Tracks Down My Friend for Not Tipping. Is this Common?

Curb Check-In Agent Tracks Down My Friend for Not Tipping. Is this Common?

Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
They need to have a sign that says "gratuities appreciated". That eliminates the need to tell people.

I've never used a skycap, but on a related note, several years ago I went to a California Pizza Kitchen in southern California with 3 other people. The service was very slow. Then to add insult to injury, it took 45 minutes to get our check after we were done eating! That was the worst service I have ever had. I left no tip, something I have never done before. Underperforming service gets a low tip but just ignoring me (I would probably still be there if I had not kept bugging the server for the check) gets ZERO.

When we walked out the door, the server ran out and complained that I didn't tip him! Unbelievable! I put California Pizza Kitchen on my ban list for that.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by twitch76
Just as a data point, the Alaska curbside agents at SAN are AS employees and not a tipped position.
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, that generally in California the skycaps are not tipped positions. Of course, how would anyone know? They DO indeed accept tips, after all... At least the ones at ONT and SJC do. Big gray area there. But I've also watched the people in line there and I'd say the majority of them do not tip.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
In 2019, how are the poor skycaps surviving when no one carries cash anymore?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Plenty of people carry cash. "No one carries cash anymore" is a catch phrase used by the few people who don't carry cash.

Cash is king!
Peoriaman1 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Cash is king!
When receiving, not paying out!

For years, I used to carry a $25 roll of dollar coins in my laptop bag for the dual (& sole cash) purpose of tipping skycaps and hotel maids.

It was a great way to get rid of them after the US Mint Dollar coin credit card buying craze about 10 years ago...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
They are neither employees of the airport nor are they Southwest employees. They are typically contracted through a separate company all together. The days of skycaps being employees are the airlines are many years gone.
They are just Uber drivers looking for a change of pace.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
They can accept payment via Square or cash app. Its 2019, plenty of ways to pay people, the " I don't have cash" isn't a valid excuse anymore.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowlife
They can accept payment via Square or cash app. Its 2019, plenty of ways to pay people, the " I don't have cash" isn't a valid excuse anymore.
People who refuse to carry cash should tip twice as much as punishment.
Peoriaman1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Punishment for what, exactly? Punishment for not carrying cash?? I suppose that would work if the person providing the service wears a sign around their neck saying "all non-cash tips are 2x". Then when I tip $5 via an app and they say "so it's $10 then?", I can say "no, it's $2.50 X 2" and walk away knowing they got the same $5 tip I would have given them if I was using cash.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
Punishment for what, exactly? Punishment for not carrying cash?? I suppose that would work if the person providing the service wears a sign around their neck saying "all non-cash tips are 2x". Then when I tip $5 via an app and they say "so it's $10 then?", I can say "no, it's $2.50 X 2" and walk away knowing they got the same $5 tip I would have given them if I was using cash.
Youre responding to someone who regularly spews venom in a variety of FT fora. Not worth the time to reply, IMO.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Youre responding to someone who regularly spews venom in a variety of FT fora. Not worth the time to reply, IMO.
I know. Just pushing buttons.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I know what's most likely to happen: Twice zero is still zero.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The SEIU is badgering people at SFO to call on Southwest to unionize their skycaps and other assistive employees in the airport.

If they succeed, don't tip them. Let them be angry that they got suckered by a labor union and make less money with no tips and have to pay union dues to Democrats.
Peoriaman1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.