Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear96
I feel your fail.

I was on WN Monday and Tuesday; glad I am home today.
Ditto. Picked up wife and son Tues at MDW 6:30 pm.

What in the world is going on lately with this IT?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The website is still down but is now showing a

"Visitor Prioritization Waiting Room page"

It has two buttons, "Flight Status" or "Check In"

IT must have been busy, it has a nice animation of a Southwest plane flying by.
The buttons are now gone.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mr.Airport
Give up on it. If it is meant to be, they have your address. WN will take the high road.
Bwwwaaaaa haaa haaa! Good one!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Ditto. Picked up wife and son Tues at MDW 6:30 pm.

What in the world is going on lately with this IT?
Lately?!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:37 pm

The ops agent just finally announced the 3+ hour delay; likely in response to the growing throng of people surrounding her.

Flight Aware just changed the status from "delayed" to "scheduled," with the departure time that's now past. Arrival shows the same as when it was delayed. They've cancelled three flights out of this gate while I've been sitting here... wonder what the odds are my flight will actually depart? For what it's worth, Flight Aware shows the inbound plane in the air.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbw5t
I'm stuck at DCA, with two young kids, waiting for our delayed flight to Orlando. What's likely in terms of compensation? This is an event totally within the airline's control (as compared to weather, etc). Do I need to ask now or give up on it forever? No one here seems in the mood to deal with that sort of thing now.
When you make it to Mickey World and have to spend 2 hours in line for an attraction, will you ask for compensation?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
For what it's worth, Flight Aware shows the inbound plane in the air.
You're doing better than us- just got word that GF's flight out of SMF was cancelled and the computers aren't functional enough for them to do anything. She's looking at ground transport to the Bay Area and flying out of OAK.

The system is supposed to reset overnight, but if planes are out of place and they don't have the cause sorted out, there could be problems tomorrow, too.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:05 pm

In case anyone is trying to check in, I was just able to do so on the iPhone app. The mobile site did not work for me.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by rbw5t
What's likely in terms of compensation?
Absolutely nothing?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:18 pm

They just cancelled two more flights at my gate, and announced that they are unable to rebook anyone. The recommend locals go home and call the 800 number tomorrow.

If my flight gets out tonight I'll be amazed.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TomMM
When you make it to Mickey World and have to spend 2 hours in line for an attraction, will you ask for compensation?
Why? Did WDW schedule their ride times like WN did?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:01 pm

WDW is , of course, significantly better at scheduling, line management and IT systems than WN.

We are just being told that everything is down again, and that anyone with a canceled flight should "go home and try calling tomorrow."

People whi don't live here are, understandably, concerned about overnight accommodations. "We have no more hotel vouchers to give out."

And yet, the line for the GA station is now 54 people long. (I just counted.)

The line for the station at the end if the A gates extends past the beginning of the moving sidewalk at gate A8.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:04 pm

The line for the bar at Manny's, while long, is not nearly as bad.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Why? Did WDW schedule their ride times like WN did?
It does with a FastPass.

Kinda - gives you a 1hour slot to show up and skip to the front of the line so you get to ride first. what it doesn't do is guarantee the ride is operational (they go down as well, but at least you were expecting to end up where you started).

Last edited by envgeo; Jul 20, 2016 at 8:31 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
In case anyone is trying to check in, I was just able to do so on the iPhone app. The mobile site did not work for me.
Prob meaningless as the entire system attempts to recover tomorrow.

Hopefully my OAK-LGB flight tomorrow stays on schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.