Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

SWA Major Outage and Service Disruption July 20, 2016 (was: Systemwide Groundstop)

Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
Update:

Wow. I just received the following email, and it appears that they are actually going to reimburse the cost of my flight on American. I'm amazed.

When they stranded me out of town for 6 days over New Year's 2014 I was told in no uncertain terms that they absolutely did not reimburse for travel on another carrier. That meltdown had a weather component, so it could be argued that this time the cause was 100% on WN, but in any case I'm pleasantly surprised that they are stepping up and doing the right thing now. Even if this is a one-time-only response (to what I assume they hope will be a one-time-only event.)

It took quite some time, and there were a few hurdles to clear, so I hope that anyone else effected by the meltdown stuck with it and received their own resolution.

In the end, bravo to WN.

(Note: The EBCI refund finally appeared on my Visa account, but the taxes never did -- checking now, it appears to have been converted to TTFs, so that's close enough at this point.)
Double-Wow. Color several of the rest of us amazed as well

Congratulations & thank you for sharing!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Yet another reason why flyertalk.com is the best travel forum out there.

You would probably never would have persevered and gotten this refund without it.

Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Yet another reason why flyertalk.com is the best travel forum out there.

You would probably never would have persevered and gotten this refund without it.

FT posts = WN cash refunds.

Ripples in a pond.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
FT posts = WN cash refunds.

Ripples in a pond.
This comment has nothing to do with my post. Don't know why you quoted me before your post.

It ain't 'ripples in a pond' for posters here.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
This comment has nothing to do with my post. Don't know why you quoted me before your post.

It ain't 'ripples in a pond' for posters here.
I doubt the refund had a thing to do with FT.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:36 pm

Yeah, all respect due to the many benefits of this forum, but I pursued compensation after this event the same as I have after every adverse WN experience. The only thing that really changed here is their response.

I suppose it was helpful to know that others had been told about receiving reimbursement, both here and on social media, so in that regard FT did help.

Last edited by ursine1; Sep 6, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I doubt the refund had a thing to do with FT.
Of course it didn't. I give up.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 8:50 pm

I'm glad the rumors about WN reimbursing folks proved to be anything but.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:26 am

So I should have seen this coming.....

Had flight cancelled due to the July system wide issue. Luckily I was at my home airport so was not stranded.

Fast forward to now with all my travel booked for the rest of the year and it looks like I will wind up 2 segments shy of A-List.
Wrote to Southwest to see if they would give me segment credit for the cancellation and was denied.

Sure I could fly a quick round trip....but am left wondering if it is even worth it.
Not so much as a we are sorry email was sent about the outage (at least not one that I received), had to call for a refund- and they didn't refund my early-bird check-in, and now this.

I know all airlines have issues- so this is more of a vent as I will probably remain loyal to Southwest even though it often means flying to airports two hours away from where I actually need to be (which makes flying Delta that much more appealing).
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:59 am

Doubt any airline gives segment credit for flights that didn't operate. Not much comfort, I know.

Sorry this happened.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by sely
So I should have seen this coming.....

Had flight cancelled due to the July system wide issue. Luckily I was at my home airport so was not stranded.
Best bet is to do a quick in and out soon, before the holiday travel season starts.

You might be able to re book some of your planned travel at add segments.

Not so much as a we are sorry email was sent about the outage (at least not one that I received), had to call for a refund- and they didn't refund my early-bird check-in, and now this.

I know all airlines have issues- so this is more of a vent as I will probably remain loyal to Southwest even though it often means flying to airports two hours away from where I actually need to be (which makes flying Delta that much more appealing).
Did you contact them at the time? I got nothing initially and emailed them a week or so later and got a $200 LUV voucher.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:52 am

Well, just booked my (last forseeable) flight using the $200 (x3) travel vouchers before expiration. Avoiding SWA if possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.