SW Voucher extension

Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

SW Voucher extension

How do you get the Voucher extension? Have $800 that expires next month. Called to try and get the extension and the lady was very rude and kept saying I agreed to the terms of the year when I cancelled and I was not eligible for it.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kristan Beckett
How do you get the Voucher extension? Have $800 that expires next month. Called to try and get the extension and the lady was very rude and kept saying I agreed to the terms of the year when I cancelled and I was not eligible for it.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Keep calling back. Southwest extends, at its discretion, for 6 months for a fee of $100. You have 6 months after expiration to request extension. They are generally willing to do so.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:18 pm

I have never done a voucher extension. But, I have read here it is not a policy, rather agent discretion. Also, people here have stated that they had to let it expire before Southwest would discuss an extension
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Also, you may have better luck with Customer Relations than Reservations: 1-855-234-4654

The team that staffs that line has more power to bend rules, turn water into wine, etc than anyone else at Southwest. They're really good and can help in these situations. They also aren't open all the time. Call before 8pm CT.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:32 pm

Vouchers cannot be extended. Assuming the OP meant ticketless travel funds, after expiration they can be reissued as a voucher for a fee of $100. This must be requested within 6 months of expiration, and will be usable by anyone for a period of 6 months after issue. Requests are granted on a case-by-case basis, and everything, including the fee amount, is subject to change at any time.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Keep calling back. Southwest extends, at its discretion, for 6 months for a fee of $100. You have 6 months after expiration to request extension. They are generally willing to do so.
The OP asked about a voucher (aka a LUV Voucher) the answer generaly applies to TTFs.
Which is it ?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The OP asked about a voucher (aka a LUV Voucher) the answer generaly applies to TTFs.
Which is it ?
Yes, I know. I was making an assumption.

Probably 90% of the time when people say "voucher" in connection with WN, they mean TTFs.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
The original poster said voucher but further describes that the agent said they had agreed to the 1-year term when they canceled. That strongly suggests to me that the original poster has ticketless travel funds (TTF) tied to their reservation record locator and not a LUV voucher.

Experience is that LUV vouchers can't be extended, but TTF's can be re-issued for a $100 value deduction at the agent's discretion as had been noted in this thread. I've done so as recently as in the last 6 months. Other FT'ers have probably done so even more recently.

And if the original poster really is holding a LUV voucher that is about to expire, they can use it to book a ticket (which will require that they use some other form of payment for the gov't taxes/fees, i.e., throwing a little bit of fresh "good" money in after the already-committed "bad" money). Once they have that ticket, they can cancel the reservation. Now they have TTF that once expired they can ask nicely for Southwest Customer Service to re-issue.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Odds on OP ever returning to clarify?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Odds on OP ever returning to clarify?
+280
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by steved5480
+280
Not long enough for me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.