TSA Pre for 9k pts

Old Jul 5, 16, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

TSA Pre for 9k pts

Didn't see this mentioned in other threads, but Southwest has a deal now where you can get TSA Pre for 9k RR pts instead of paying the $85. The points get you a authorization code to use when applying to get the fee waived. Just wanted folks to know. I think its still better to pay the cash since the points conversion isn't great, but if you're swimming in points, it could be a good idea

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0S...A-05128?skuId=
Old Jul 5, 16, 4:41 pm

9,000 points are worth, at worst, about $128, so that is not a very good deal.
Old Jul 6, 16, 5:32 am

Programs: WN A+/CP; Marriott Lifetime Plat
I have a different view toward point valuation. I feel that points should be valued on what brings the most pleasure and/or utility. Precheck provides a lot of pleasure (or should I say, reduced pain). If someone prefers to spend 9,000 points for it and can't quite bear to part with actual cash, it could be a great deal (for them).
Old Jul 6, 16, 5:38 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Marriott Rewards
But why use points if out of pocket cost is significantly lower than using points?
Old Jul 6, 16, 8:03 am
Original Poster

If you have a truckload of points to burn, and 9k is a mere drop in the bucket, why not?
Old Jul 6, 16, 8:13 am

Or you don't fly all that often on Southwest, and any points earned expire prior to actually being able to use them.
Old Jul 6, 16, 8:23 am

In order to use PreCheck, you have to buy a flight. Those 9000 points buy more than $85 worth of travel on Southwest.

Spend your points however you want, but understand the math involved.
Old Jul 6, 16, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I have a different view toward point valuation. I feel that points should be valued on what brings the most pleasure and/or utility. If someone prefers to spend 9,000 points for it and can't quite bear to part with actual cash, it could be a great deal (for them).
*claps* I'm glad someone finally said this! ^
Old Jul 6, 16, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It would have to be a very unique situation - 9,000 points within days of expiration for someone who obviously doesn't already have Precheck.

With *some* of my FF currencies, I'm very much in the "whatever brings me pleasure" camp. I redeem international J/F from time to time, independent of what the going Y fare might have been. (If it's an airline/type I've always wanted to fly F, I might not even *look* at the going Y fare.)

But Southwest, being a straightforward program where points simply equal cash, I'd find it hard to spend 9,000 points this way under normal circumstances. The notion of "too many WN points to spend" implies you flew an absolute ton and then suddenly quit cold turkey for a long period of time. Or were absent-mindedly using the credit card far beyond the point in time when you should have switched to another reward.
Old Jul 6, 16, 9:05 am

Math is hard.
Old Jul 6, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Math is hard.
So is understanding and remembering all the program, airline and TSA rules. Burn them when you can!!
Old Jul 6, 16, 11:41 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
So pleased to see someone found it necessary to delete my comment! Carry on ...
Old Jul 6, 16, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I have a different view toward point valuation. I feel that points should be valued on what brings the most pleasure and/or utility. Precheck provides a lot of pleasure (or should I say, reduced pain). If someone prefers to spend 9,000 points for it and can't quite bear to part with actual cash, it could be a great deal (for them).
Agreed.

I have more southwest points than I know what to do with. To me, I would have gladly shelled out 9k points rather than $85 for pre-chcek if this offer had been available when I enrolled.
Old Jul 6, 16, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
The notion of "too many WN points to spend" implies you flew an absolute ton and then suddenly quit cold turkey for a long period of time. Or were absent-mindedly using the credit card far beyond the point in time when you should have switched to another reward.
As someone with "too many WN points to spend," I can assure you those are not the only situations in which someone can accrue a ridiculous number of southwest points.
Old Jul 6, 16, 1:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
It is the best $85 i ever spent. It is good for 5 years.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: