FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   TSA Pre for 9k pts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1776361-tsa-pre-9k-pts.html)

phantom1584 Jul 5, 2016 2:48 pm

TSA Pre for 9k pts

Didn't see this mentioned in other threads, but Southwest has a deal now where you can get TSA Pre for 9k RR pts instead of paying the $85. The points get you a authorization code to use when applying to get the fee waived. Just wanted folks to know. I think its still better to pay the cash since the points conversion isn't great, but if you're swimming in points, it could be a good idea

https://www.1.awardhq.com/24468SWA0S...A-05128?skuId=

ursine1 Jul 5, 2016 3:41 pm

9,000 points are worth, at worst, about $128, so that is not a very good deal.

Mort Jul 6, 2016 4:32 am

I have a different view toward point valuation. I feel that points should be valued on what brings the most pleasure and/or utility. Precheck provides a lot of pleasure (or should I say, reduced pain). If someone prefers to spend 9,000 points for it and can't quite bear to part with actual cash, it could be a great deal (for them).

tcoat1305 Jul 6, 2016 4:38 am

But why use points if out of pocket cost is significantly lower than using points?

phantom1584 Jul 6, 2016 7:03 am

If you have a truckload of points to burn, and 9k is a mere drop in the bucket, why not?

jeffandnicole Jul 6, 2016 7:13 am

Or you don't fly all that often on Southwest, and any points earned expire prior to actually being able to use them.

ursine1 Jul 6, 2016 7:23 am

In order to use PreCheck, you have to buy a flight. Those 9000 points buy more than $85 worth of travel on Southwest.

Spend your points however you want, but understand the math involved.

cheryl302 Jul 6, 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 26876743)
I have a different view toward point valuation. I feel that points should be valued on what brings the most pleasure and/or utility. If someone prefers to spend 9,000 points for it and can't quite bear to part with actual cash, it could be a great deal (for them).

*claps* I'm glad someone finally said this! ^

pinniped Jul 6, 2016 7:46 am

It would have to be a very unique situation - 9,000 points within days of expiration for someone who obviously doesn't already have Precheck.

With *some* of my FF currencies, I'm very much in the "whatever brings me pleasure" camp. I redeem international J/F from time to time, independent of what the going Y fare might have been. (If it's an airline/type I've always wanted to fly F, I might not even *look* at the going Y fare.)

But Southwest, being a straightforward program where points simply equal cash, I'd find it hard to spend 9,000 points this way under normal circumstances. The notion of "too many WN points to spend" implies you flew an absolute ton and then suddenly quit cold turkey for a long period of time. Or were absent-mindedly using the credit card far beyond the point in time when you should have switched to another reward.

ursine1 Jul 6, 2016 8:05 am

Math is hard.

joshua362 Jul 6, 2016 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 26877397)
Math is hard.

So is understanding and remembering all the program, airline and TSA rules. Burn them when you can!!

pushback Jul 6, 2016 10:41 am

So pleased to see someone found it necessary to delete my comment! Carry on ...

camaross Jul 6, 2016 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 26876743)
I have a different view toward point valuation. I feel that points should be valued on what brings the most pleasure and/or utility. Precheck provides a lot of pleasure (or should I say, reduced pain). If someone prefers to spend 9,000 points for it and can't quite bear to part with actual cash, it could be a great deal (for them).

Agreed.

I have more southwest points than I know what to do with. To me, I would have gladly shelled out 9k points rather than $85 for pre-chcek if this offer had been available when I enrolled.

camaross Jul 6, 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 26877319)
The notion of "too many WN points to spend" implies you flew an absolute ton and then suddenly quit cold turkey for a long period of time. Or were absent-mindedly using the credit card far beyond the point in time when you should have switched to another reward.

As someone with "too many WN points to spend," I can assure you those are not the only situations in which someone can accrue a ridiculous number of southwest points.

Blitzjb Jul 6, 2016 12:09 pm

It is the best $85 i ever spent. It is good for 5 years.