Wiki Posts
Search

Complicated CP booking question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, United, AA, HHonors, SPG, Marriott
Complicated CP booking question

Hello all, rather odd CP booking question I'd like to get some insight on. My wife and I both received the CP this year. I had originally set my wife as my companion as I received my CP in Q1 and she received hers in Q2. We have a round tip for 7/8-7/11 from DEN <> MDW. I had originally booked my fare with points, then added my wife as my companion. I then booked two fares for our kids with points. This was all done in Aprilish. Fast forward to June and my wife gets her CP and I change my companion to Kid 1, and she sets her companion to Kid 2.
So the dilemma now is that my companion is not my wife and she is booked as a companion on a flight in less than 5 days. Is it safe to try and get a companion ticket for her at the counter or cancel her fare and try to rebook? I'm hesitant about option 2 as there are no Wanna Get Away fares left for either leg of our flight and it would cost 3x more in points or $ to rebook at the Anytime rates.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by matt21484
Is it safe to try and get a companion ticket for her at the counter or cancel her fare and try to rebook?
That will not work. If both kids aren't going, change your companion back to your wife on the phone (its effective immediately) and rebook. You are allowed 3 changes per year!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I thought when you change Companion, any existing Companion reservations get cancelled. Are you certain your wife has a valid ticket?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
That will not work. If both kids aren't going, change your companion back to your wife on the phone (its effective immediately) and rebook. You are allowed 3 changes per year!
Both kids are flying with us on this trip. They have WGA fares purchased with points.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I thought when you change Companion, any existing Companion reservations get cancelled. Are you certain your wife has a valid ticket?
I would assume something like this would have happened, but it didn't. I just looked at the trip in My Account and all 4 family members (myself, wife, kid 1, kid 2) are showing up with their fares correctly shown. Mine w/ WGA, wife w/ companion, kid 1 & kid 2, WGA. So I have purchased 3 fares for this trip and only want to use the CP on one person.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I very highly think this will unravel somewhere.

Maybe see if wife is allowed to check in at T-24. If not, change your companion to your wife and get her a free ticket. Or do it at the airport if you get denied there and have plenty of time. But you have to call customer service which is only open M-F so that may factor in. Your mistake was changing your companion before you really needed to. But you can make 1 more change after this.

And if everything above backfires and your wife has to get her own ticket, cancel the kids points booking (fully returnable to the accounts) and use the CP's to have thing 1 and thing 2 fly for free. That might take the sting out of getting a last minute ticket...
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
...Maybe see if wife is allowed to check in at T-24. If not, change your companion to your wife and get her a free ticket.
Thanks, this is what I ended up doing after talking to someone at CS. Had to switch my companion back to my wife, so ends well, but after this flight I'm going to have to change it back to my son as I've already purchased a flight from DEN > RSW. Live and learn....
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by matt21484
Hello all, rather odd CP booking question I'd like to get some insight on. My wife and I both received the CP this year. I had originally set my wife as my companion as I received my CP in Q1 and she received hers in Q2. We have a round tip for 7/8-7/11 from DEN <> MDW. I had originally booked my fare with points, then added my wife as my companion. I then booked two fares for our kids with points. This was all done in Aprilish. Fast forward to June and my wife gets her CP and I change my companion to Kid 1, and she sets her companion to Kid 2.
So the dilemma now is that my companion is not my wife and she is booked as a companion on a flight in less than 5 days. Is it safe to try and get a companion ticket for her at the counter or cancel her fare and try to rebook? I'm hesitant about option 2 as there are no Wanna Get Away fares left for either leg of our flight and it would cost 3x more in points or $ to rebook at the Anytime rates.
Thanks in advance!
A call to Southwest will straighten it out, they are very helpful. As long as there is any seat for sale on a flight your companion may have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.