Wiki Posts
Search

LUV Voucher for Double Go-Around?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT

Yesterday, my MSP-MCI flight was a really rough one. There was a huge front we partially flew around, then through, and then tried to land in--three times over. The pilots did two go-arounds and we successfully (and safely!) landed the third time. I'm a very frequent flyer. Yes, it was pretty bad. Yes, a lady in my row filled up her vom bag. Was it horrible? No. Were people in tears? No. We landed, people clapped, and I thanked the pilots for earning their pay yesterday.

You can see us circling here: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...215Z/KMSP/KMCI

Today, to my surprise, I received a proactive email explaining what happened yesterday and saying a LUV voucher is on the way? I'm not really sure why Southwest is apologizing? Yes it was rough, but the pilots were professional and did a great job. I'll take the voucher, but it's definitely unnecessary. Anyone else ever gotten one for something this example? I've definitely had go-arounds before on WN and this is a first.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
I had the same thing happen on a severe turbulent flight into DEN. The pilot warned us and people were loosing their s#!t...but being a pilot and knowing what planes can handle I was having a great time.

I didn't say a word....or care...but they sent me and my buddy a $50 LUV voucher as an apology.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Voucher came through this morning. $100.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I would have loved to be there to experience that and viewed the missed approaches on Foreflight, would have been interesting to see in practice what I've only learned in books and simulators.

That said, I find the compensation odd for something out of their control while I was offered nothing for repeated wasted hours of delays during their self imposed schedule meltdown of 2013-2014...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR

Kick Tail Vouchers to the pilots! ^
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Never heard of that. I've been on my share of rough flights in/out of Denver and even had two separate flights have to do go-arounds there (both landed on the 2nd try). Pretty normal stuff...would never expect vouchers for that.

I'd rather get them (and feel it's more warranted) when their IT systems fail. That's totally preventable and represents a failure on the part of Southwest personnel.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by palmetto86
Yesterday, my MSP-MCI flight was a really rough one. There was a huge front we partially flew around, then through, and then tried to land in--three times over. The pilots did two go-arounds and we successfully (and safely!) landed the third time. I'm a very frequent flyer. Yes, it was pretty bad. Yes, a lady in my row filled up her vom bag. Was it horrible? No. Were people in tears? No. We landed, people clapped, and I thanked the pilots for earning their pay yesterday.

You can see us circling here: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...215Z/KMSP/KMCI

Today, to my surprise, I received a proactive email explaining what happened yesterday and saying a LUV voucher is on the way? I'm not really sure why Southwest is apologizing? Yes it was rough, but the pilots were professional and did a great job. I'll take the voucher, but it's definitely unnecessary. Anyone else ever gotten one for something this example? I've definitely had go-arounds before on WN and this is a first.
I have had many many flights like that, many on WN, and not once have a received such a thing, even as an A-lister. Perhaps a deliberate charm offensive?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It was a few years ago, but I have received a LUV voucher for severe turbulence on initial descent into LAS, and on a different flight, a voucher for a prolonged delay after we landed at LAS but were stuck on the ramp due to thunderstorm activity. Neither incident was their fault, so it was a nice gesture.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:19 pm

Interesting they were so proactive. Do you know how long it took them to send the email? I ended up stuck at MCI last night because of a 2 hour delay at MDW due to the lack of a FO. Wondering if it was initiated by someone at MCI, or how that works. The situation I was in was not handled very well by WN, so I find it interesting they would go out of their way to deal with something outside of their control meanwhile not doing anything about a situation under their control.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure which email you're asking about. LUV vouchers usually involve two separate emails. The first email comes from Southwest Airlines Proactive Communications and apologizes for the situation. In this case, email #1 came about 25 hrs after the incident. The second email contains the code for the LUV voucher. Email #2 came about 3 hrs after the first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.