FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Let's Talk about MDW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1772185-lets-talk-about-mdw.html)

nineworldseries Jun 14, 2016 11:38 am

Let's Talk about MDW

In looking at my FlightMemory, I've been to Midway 88 times in my life. It's like my second home airport next to CMH. I feel like I know every inch of this place. Let's share some insights, secrets, and helpful tips about ol' MDW.

Food: Probably eaten at just about every establishment here with the exception of Sprigs. I like salads and eat healthy when possible, just never made it here.

Manny's is probably my favorite place to eat. I would recommend the corned beef sandwich (but not the pastrami or 50/50 corned beef/pastrami mix). Why? Because the corned beef is sliced fresh off of the beef chunk right in front of you, while the pastrami is produced from the fridge and then microwaved.

Potbelly is another constant go-to. One advantage is the call-ahead ordering; if you know that you have a quick turnaround, you can order ahead and jump the line, which occasionally snakes out the door. One secret here is that you can order a peanut butter and jelly, which is not anywhere on the menu. I may sound like a 5 year old, but a great meal after a long day in Chicago is a PBJ and a milk. Eaten this so many times at MDW.

Speaking of milk, most travelers may not care, but I know exactly who sells milk and in what varieties at MDW. Gold Coast Dogs has bottles. Italian joint right next door only has Nesquik in strawberry and chocolate varieties. Both "Let Them Eat Cake" locations have milk as well and are usually where I go.

Many people in Chicago like to belittle you if you want ketchup on your hot dog, including Gold Coast Dogs, who at one point had a sign to this effect, and may still do. I think it's completely ridiculous, as if a lack of a condiment is some kind of meaningful cultural artifact and source of pride.

Places I would not recommend (all with the IMO disclaimer):
Harry Carey's (edible food but overpriced)
Pegasus on the Fly (not a fan of Greek food anyway)
King Wah (made my GF ill more than once)
Luigi Stefani Pizzeria (like Sbarro, only not as good)
Lalo's (just something about Mexican food in an airport that turns me off)

Should mention something about Nuts on Clark as well, since so many people seem to be slavering fanboys and fangirls of this place. It's... ok. It's popcorn. The cheese popcorn is really cheesy. I find it overpriced, though, at like $4 for a small bag. The main draw of NoC for me is the bags of dried fruits and nuts. I like the option of getting some dried apricots from time to time for healthy snacking on the plane.

Beer: Onto my true wheelhouse, craft beer. If you want something other than boring domestics, skip Miller's Pub. Halsted St. Tap next to Manny's has probably the best beer in the airport. Goose Island 312 and Revolution Anti-Hero IPA can usually be found here. Around $10 a cup, but you get it in plastic so you can roam around with it as well.

Harry Carey's is next best for beer. They're actually reasonably priced on the beer (I think around $7-8 a pint). They usually have Lagunitas IPA as well as Goose Island Green Line (session IPA). YMMV of course depending on what they have, but Halsted St. and Harry Carey's are your best bets for decent beer. I have no desire to drink gross Guinness at the Reilly's Daughter but maybe you do - no judgment here.

Other secrets of MDW include the bathroom at the entrance to C concourse. It's smaller but tends to be MUCH less crowded than the ones in the main concourses.

If you're stuck taking off or landing at A4A or A4B, you have a long, boring walk ahead of you. If you're disabled or infirm, I'd recommend avoiding these gates as much as possible.

I'm sure there's much more to discuss, but I've rambled enough for now. :o

konems Jun 14, 2016 2:43 pm

As a local, you're spot on when it comes to food. Manny's and Potbelly are the only restaurants I would ever eat at in MDW. Pretty poor selection - my kingdom for Rick Bayless to open something here (only thing I prefer about ORD). Nuts on Clark is a notch below Garrett when it comes to Chicago popcorn, but it's still delicious -- I bring cheese/caramel mix as a gift anytime I'm flying to visit friends or family.

I think my last 10-12 flights out of MDW have been at the tail-end of Concourse B so I've gotten to know Oak Street Beach pretty well -- they have a surprisingly decent craft beer selection.

My go-to bathroom is in the hallway next to Reilly's Daughter that almost never seems occupied, even when the food court is packed.

If you need a taxi and the airport is packed -- haul ... down the staircase to the right of the down escalators (where everyone will be standing), take an immediate right and the doors to the taxi line will be right there. If you make haste you can save yourself ~15 minutes in line depending on how many people you race there, especially when it's 5 degrees outside. (Although I've been all about Uber since they were granted permission to pick up at the airport)

nineworldseries Jun 14, 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by konems (Post 26778497)
my kingdom for Rick Bayless to open something here (only thing I prefer about ORD).

Wow, a Xoco at MDW would be most excellent. I also wouldn't mind a Goose Island like at ORD as well - could replace Harry Carey's for all I care.

Originally Posted by konems (Post 26778497)
My go-to bathroom is in the hallway next to Reilly's Daughter that almost never seems occupied, even when the food court is packed.

Good call on this one - my #2 bathroom at MDW.

Also Plugs can be of concern at MDW. There are relatively few blocks of the Southwest black leatherish luxury chairs there, and you're often fighting for plug space at the aluminum stand-up doohickies (not even sure what to call them), that line the sides of the walkways, and half the time, the plugs there don't even work.

There are some very nice new chairs at the entrance to C concourse by the TSA booth across from the little boutique that sells jewelry and accessories. Since few people go down to C, these are a great spot to hang out and charge the phone.

The "pods" of chairs near the entrance to A concourse, by the Battle of Midway "museum" are also sometimes a good spot for charging.

aaronw915 Jun 14, 2016 3:44 pm

CMH hometown airport as well!!

Although most of my flights took me through BWI, though my openflight stats has me going through MDW 18 times since August of last year.

I agree about Harry Caray's but politely disagree about Lalo's. I think they put out good food and a very nice home made spicy pico de gallo!. Here's my pro tip. Order Lalo's (or anywhere else in the food court you desire) and find a place at the bar at Reilly's daughter to eat your food and drink a pint or two. They have a few locals on draft. After you check out and head to your gate, @konems is correct, the bathroom down the hall is normally deserted.

I also enjoy that they will let you take your beer to your gate in a plastic cup!

lougord99 Jun 14, 2016 3:51 pm

If you are there early, and your flight is out of the B concourse, go over to the A concourse to wait. It is much quieter. One of the Delta gates or the Porter gate is usually almost empty.

jco613 Jun 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 26778815)
If you are there early, and your flight is out of the B concourse, go over to the A concourse to wait. It is much quieter. One of the Delta gates or the Porter gate is usually almost empty.

unless the Porter flight gets canceled!

copperred Jun 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Wow, 88 times! I'm making a note about the bathrooms near C.

I've found some of the time I can get power in the no man's land between A and B, but I always carry a battery pack just in case.

The dining options are so-so but anything and everything beats having to go to ORD. Agreed on HC's. Generally if I'm going to sit it needs to be decent and still quick or quality and I get none of the above. Especially after the renovations at DCA MDW is leaving me cold.

As I'm not yet infirm the A4A/B don't bother me as much and I like their distance. I don't like when flights change and I have to sprint hither and thither.

Exiled in Express Jun 15, 2016 8:53 pm

Travel around most holidays mean complimentary Starbursts from Wrigley throughout the terminal.

I will repeat that Concourse C is like Midway's ratty little club. Quiet, space, outlets, and clean restrooms.

TomMM Jun 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Never been to MDW. Do they have a Chicago Dog stand in the concourse like in ORD?

scootr5 Jun 17, 2016 7:03 am

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 26789098)
Never been to MDW. Do they have a Chicago Dog stand in the concourse like in ORD?

There's a Gold Coast Dogs.

zachary Jun 17, 2016 7:34 am

With regard to Manny's, maybe I got unlucky, but I normally order a turkey sandwich there. At the Manny's Express on the B concourse, the turkey sandwich is great -- they carve the meat right in front of you. At the Manny's on the A concourse, they served me turkey that looked like Oscar Meyer deli meat sold in tubs at the grocery store. I'm not sure if that's always the case, but I've never ordered the turkey again on A.

paule123 Jun 17, 2016 8:32 am

It's always been a mystery to me why MDW has no Starbucks.

Reilly's Daughter is my go to place for a drink. The bartenders there are always great - not the typical airport concession drones.

rsteinmetz70112 Jun 17, 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by paule123 (Post 26791951)
It's always been a mystery to me why MDW has no Starbucks.

Reilly's Daughter is my go to place for a drink. The bartenders there are always great - not the typical airport concession drones.

Starbucks sells burned coffee. I'm glad there is at least one Starbuck's free zone left.

chicago747 Jun 17, 2016 10:00 am

Is there any type of lounge at MDW? Either a delta skyclub or a priority pass lounge?

scootr5 Jun 17, 2016 10:17 am

Originally Posted by chicago747 (Post 26792379)
Is there any type of lounge at MDW? Either a delta skyclub or a priority pass lounge?

No. There's a small USO lounge in concourse C I believe.