Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Talk about MDW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:28 am

Thanks for the run down. Only have ever used ORD, but have no qualms with giving MDW a try at some point.

Lagunitas IPA, as far as beers go, my personal opinion is that stuff is fit only to fill balloons to throw at tea-toddlers during a warrior dash.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Fleck
Lagunitas IPA, as far as beers go, my personal opinion is that stuff is fit only to fill balloons to throw at tea-toddlers during a warrior dash.
Well, it ain't great, but compared to the common offerings at airport bars at MDW and others like Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite, Stella Artois, Blue Moon, etc. it's the nectar of the Gods.

Actually, one of the smaller, more upstart local Chicago breweries would do really well to start a small tap room at MDW. I'm thinking Revolution, Breakroom, Half Acre, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Add my vote for the C gates bathroom and seating area. That's where I always end up if I need some quiet space. The international gates can be quiet too if there aren't any flights.

I haven't been to Chicago since the Uber/Lyft pickups started at the airport, but I highly recommend going over to the L station, going downstairs to the CTA park and ride area and having the driver get you there. There's a lot less traffic over there.

It's an eight minute walk from B24 to A21 if you hustle. Plan for 15 minutes if you don't walk at a fast pace.

Originally Posted by konems
Pretty poor selection - my kingdom for Rick Bayless to open something here (only thing I prefer about ORD).
Not to throw this too OT, but where is this Rick Bayless restaurant at ORD? I've been searching for good food at ORD for ages. It's an awful airport for food (at least in the domestic terminals).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:43 am

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/tortas-frontera/
O’HARE: T1/B11, T3/K4, T5/M12
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Not to throw this too OT, but where is this Rick Bayless restaurant at ORD? I've been searching for good food at ORD for ages. It's an awful airport for food (at least in the domestic terminals).
T3 is the one I know. Tortas Frontera. Good but they are not shy about pricing.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paule123
It's always been a mystery to me why MDW has no Starbucks.
They serve Starbucks coffee in Potbelly's. Not sure if it counts as a full-fledged Starbucks; maybe more like one you might see in a hotel lobby.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: WN RR, DL SM, Hilton, Marriott, National
I always enjoyed the Illinois Bar and Grill in the food court. The little dining room is usually too crowded to get a seat, but they have a side service window onto the court seating area where the service is good, and you can grab a seat and watch the ramp work down below. Good burgers and fries, but pretty weak selection of brews. And of course the hidden restroom just down the service hall.

A little OT, but an interesting MDW food story: One time I had a LO of 2+ hours, so I called ahead to the Giordano's just off the property at Cicero and 63rd and ordered a half-bake pie to be ready 30 minutes after scheduled arrival. After landing I exited security and strolled down Cicero to Giordano's, enjoyed a cold frosty while my pie finished up, and then carried that delicious treat back to MDW. Took lots of ribbing from TSA and the GA and FAs, but it was well worth it.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They serve Starbucks coffee in Potbelly's. Not sure if it counts as a full-fledged Starbucks; maybe more like one you might see in a hotel lobby.
Not a coffee drinker but pretty sure Potbelly stopped serving Starbucks in favor of Intelligentsia about a year or two ago.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuckworth
Not a coffee drinker but pretty sure Potbelly stopped serving Starbucks in favor of Intelligentsia about a year or two ago.
OK, thanks. If you Google "MDW and Starbucks," there comes up a link that says it is still there. But it has been a while since I looked in person.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:41 pm
glg

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Many people in Chicago like to belittle you if you want ketchup on your hot dog, including Gold Coast Dogs, who at one point had a sign to this effect, and may still do. I think it's completely ridiculous, as if a lack of a condiment is some kind of meaningful cultural artifact and source of pride.
While I agree with the principle of no ketchup on a dog. The rest of the toppings on a drug-through-the-garden Chicago dog work well together. Adding ketchup to the mix throws it off, it's too overpowering, drowns out everything else.

That said, to each his own (though I'd still probably give an adult I knew crap for it ). There are some places that go overboard, taking pride in not even having ketchup, which is just silly, because even the average ketchup-on-dogs-hater will agree on two things. 1. ketchup on fries is just fine and 2. kids can do what they want. if a 4 year old is going to be happy eating a dog dipping it in ketchup, great.

Pegasus on the Fly (not a fan of Greek food anyway)
I like Greek food and it's terrible.

Lalo's (just something about Mexican food in an airport that turns me off)
It's okay. It's like a half step up from having a Chipotle or Qdoba. Local chain, nothing you'd go out of your way for, but if a burrito sounds good at the airport, it'll suffice.

Should mention something about Nuts on Clark as well, since so many people seem to be slavering fanboys and fangirls of this place. It's... ok. It's popcorn. The cheese popcorn is really cheesy. I find it overpriced, though, at like $4 for a small bag.
This is definitely a Chicago thing. You gotta get Chicago mix (caramel and cheese). As mentioned, Garrett's is better, but that's not in MDW.

If you're stuck taking off or landing at A4A or A4B, you have a long, boring walk ahead of you. If you're disabled or infirm, I'd recommend avoiding these gates as much as possible.
how does one avoid a gate? it's not like you get to choose...

The thing to know is that there is very little once you turn off the main A concourse. There is a shop at the corner before the long hallway and a tiny foodstand about halfway down and that's it (or is there a small bar at the gate?). If you're at one of those gates, make sure you get whatever you need food/drink/snack/magazines/etc before you start down that way. There are bathrooms.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:44 pm
glg

Originally Posted by konems
Although I've been all about Uber since they were granted permission to pick up at the airport
Let me use this space to complain about the city's placement of the pickup area. WHY IS IT AT THE BEGINNING OF DEPARTURES INSTEAD OF THE END?!?!

People have a tendency to stop as soon as they possibly can anyway, so blocking off space at the beginning just means that at busy times the uber/lyfts have to fight to get out of the pickup point. Prior to the pickup point, that spot by door 1 was busy. door 4 has never been busy. Put the pickup point down at the end by door 4, then the uber/lyfts can stay in the left lane down to door 3 or so, then dive inside when everyone else is already out.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:47 pm
glg

Actually, one of the smaller, more upstart local Chicago breweries would do really well to start a small tap room at MDW. I'm thinking Revolution, Breakroom, Half Acre, etc.
It's probably close to impossible given the way concessions at the airport are run. FYI, Breakroom closed last month.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glg
Let me use this space to complain about the city's placement of the pickup area. WHY IS IT AT THE BEGINNING OF DEPARTURES INSTEAD OF THE END?!?!

People have a tendency to stop as soon as they possibly can anyway, so blocking off space at the beginning just means that at busy times the uber/lyfts have to fight to get out of the pickup point. Prior to the pickup point, that spot by door 1 was busy. door 4 has never been busy. Put the pickup point down at the end by door 4, then the uber/lyfts can stay in the left lane down to door 3 or so, then dive inside when everyone else is already out.
Problem to be solved soon.

City Council about to approve fingerprinting and other requirements for Uber/Lyft. The latter has announced it will leave Chicago if the vote goes through.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
i fly out of MDW every week. Here are some of my comments:

Restroom at C Concourse are the best, not the ones in front of TSA but inside the Concourse C. Very quiet.

Also restroom on departure level between Parking Garage and Terminal are very good too.

UBER: if you want to save 5 bucks instead of getting picked up or dropped off at the airport designated areas, get dropped off at the CTA Orange Line Station, you will have to walk maybe 3 minutes but you save around 5.00. Thats the airport tax.

Harry Carays: Breakfast, you can order a BUILD YOUR OWN OMELETTE for 8.95, that is cheap. and the breakfast is excellent.

If there was a lounge, i would gladly pay for a QUIET area, Fast WIFI, and comfortable seating. i would price it so that it limits the type of people to business people.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I was at MDW last week.

There are little charging rooms sponsored by the CTA set up throughout the terminal. Each one has about 4-6 seats with desks in it. Every one I walked by last week had at least one open seat. I used the one closest to the food court area. I find that the black armchairs at the gates are hit or miss as to whether the outlets work.

I actually like Harry Caray's for a sit down meal if I have a longer layover. I've had breakfast and dinner there. But I've also eaten at the original one downtown so maybe I'm just a fan of the ambiance.

The Hudson Booksellers over by the food court has a lot of chargers reasonably priced. I bought a Star Wars Stormtrooper one last week for $20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.