FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Stopovers on Southwest? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1769614-stopovers-southwest.html)

Critterlynn Jun 1, 2016 5:23 pm

Stopovers on Southwest?

Looking to go to Cancun from STL. Flight requires a connection and would not arrive until very late in the day. I know (at least I think) that Southwest doesn't allow stopovers. Could I just book a one way ticket to Atlanta, spend the night and have another one way ticket to Cancun early the next day?

steved5480 Jun 1, 2016 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 26714173)
Looking to go to Cancun from STL. Flight requires a connection and would not arrive until very late in the day. I know (at least I think) that Southwest doesn't allow stopovers. Could I just book a one way ticket to Atlanta, spend the night and have another one way ticket to Cancun early the next day?

Yes, they do not and yes you could.

dmbolp Jun 1, 2016 5:29 pm

Of course you can book 2 separate one ways...why couldn't you?

joshua362 Jun 1, 2016 5:31 pm

that is the only way you can do it on WN if a connection is not offered!

Critterlynn Jun 1, 2016 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 26714199)
Of course you can book 2 separate one ways...why couldn't you?

I have no idea why you couldn't. It seems logical that you would be able to but airlines aren't always logical.

Critterlynn Jun 1, 2016 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 26714201)
that is the only way you can do it on WN if a connection is not offered!

A connection is offered I just don't want to arrive at my hotel at 7pm and waste the whole day.

darthbimmer Jun 1, 2016 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 26714218)
I have no idea why you couldn't. It seems logical that you would be able to but airlines aren't always logical.

I've done exactly that a few times already with Southwest when flying to the Caribbean from California. Just keep in mind that by booking two separate itineraries you are getting none of the advantages of having a connection. You'll have to re-clear security, you can't check bags through, and-- most importantly-- if anything happens with your first itinerary that makes you unable to be there on time for the second one, the risks and costs of dealing with that are all on you.

Critterlynn Jun 2, 2016 1:45 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 26715383)
I've done exactly that a few times already with Southwest when flying to the Caribbean from California. Just keep in mind that by booking two separate itineraries you are getting none of the advantages of having a connection. You'll have to re-clear security, you can't check bags through, and-- most importantly-- if anything happens with your first itinerary that makes you unable to be there on time for the second one, the risks and costs of dealing with that are all on you.

Not much risk of anything happening on the first itinerary. It's due to arrive in Atlanta at 5PM the day before and even if something did happen it's not the last scheduled flight that day.

As far as clearing security, wouldn't I have to go through customs before the flight to Cancun even if I booked it on one itinerary?

Fanjet Jun 2, 2016 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 26714224)
A connection is offered I just don't want to arrive at my hotel at 7pm and waste the whole day.

Aren't you kind of doing the same thing by spending the night mid-journey in Atlanta versus in Cancun? :confused:

jeffandnicole Jun 2, 2016 7:12 am

That's what I was thinking as well. How much is 2 one-ways going to cost you, plus the hotel room, plus cabs if necessary, plus dinner and/or breakfast, in exchange for not "wasting" a day at the resort, where you'll still be there in time for dinner and drinks?

steved5480 Jun 2, 2016 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Critterlynn (Post 26715795)
Not much risk of anything happening on the first itinerary. It's due to arrive in Atlanta at 5PM the day before and even if something did happen it's not the last scheduled flight that day.

As far as clearing security, wouldn't I have to go through customs before the flight to Cancun even if I booked it on one itinerary?

No. You clear immigration and customs (2 separate transactions) upon ENTERING a country (same upon returning to the USA).

You will need to make certain to get your passport verified and your outbound boarding pass stamped with the big red "documents OK" stamp at the Southwest gate podium.

Also be aware that if you have TSA Pre-Check, you will *not* receive it on your outbound Southwest International flight so plan accordingly re: getting thru security in the ATL. IT limitation within the airline.

Often1 Jun 2, 2016 7:35 am

Don't let silly worries get in the way. The fact that WN doesn't allow stopovers has nothing to do with re-clearing a TSA checkpoint at ATL. You need to reclear the checkpoint if you leave the airside area. You will do that if you have a stopover on a carrier which allows them, buy two OW's on WN, or go out for a smoke on a connection. So, nothing to worry about.

Whether the two OW's are the same as the through fare are the same is a different issue.

ursine1 Jun 2, 2016 7:58 am

Originally Posted by steved5480 (Post 26716527)
Also be aware that if you have TSA Pre-Check, you will *not* receive it on your outbound Southwest International flight so plan accordingly re: getting thru security in the ATL. IT limitation within the airline.

One positive to booking two separate one-ways is that, if you have TSA PreCheck, you will receive it on the domestic leg. You won't if you book a connecting flight.

Critterlynn Jun 2, 2016 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet (Post 26715797)
Aren't you kind of doing the same thing by spending the night mid-journey in Atlanta versus in Cancun? :confused:

It will not be on the same itinerary. Southwest doesn't allow overnight connections so I'm making my own. I'd rather get there at noon and be well rested because of a short 2 hour flight than arrive at 7PM and be tired from 8 hours of travel.

Critterlynn Jun 2, 2016 11:41 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole (Post 26716493)
That's what I was thinking as well. How much is 2 one-ways going to cost you, plus the hotel room, plus cabs if necessary, plus dinner and/or breakfast, in exchange for not "wasting" a day at the resort, where you'll still be there in time for dinner and drinks?

I'm using points and the difference between one flight with a connection and two one ways is negligible. The hotel is a Hyatt and is only 5000 points for the night. It offers free shuttle service to and from the hotel and offers free breakfast. So while there is some cost involved, it is minimal. And if spending an additional 5000 points allows me to spend 8 more hours at an all-inclusive resort, I think it is worth it. Not to mention I'll be well rested when I get there because I haven't spent all day traveling.