Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:45 pm

Between my wife and I, one of us has qualified for CP for the last 7 years. Last couple of years it has been her that has qualified. We typically take 4-5 trips a year where I go as the companion.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
This is my eighth year of CP. I fly about 30 segments a year almost all with my wife. So the fares I didn't pay have to add up to $4,000+. $30,000+ over the last nearly eight years. Of course, without the CP we'd do less traveling, or only one of us would travel. We see it as a very great value.

Also, some other airline might be cheaper, but being able to change, which we do very frequently, is a great benefit. That, free luggage, and the CP - if WN goes there, we go on WN.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Getting frequent use out of the CP with a job and equally busy companion/family is difficult. I'm now in my 5th year of having a CP (not all consecutive) and I've never truly maximized its value the way I've hoped to. I looked at it as a way to make frequent short trips, like three-day weekends once a month, cost effective. In a two career family that seemed like the way to play it. But enough things happen that we travel only about half as often as we'd like.
joshua362, screeton and Marko123 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Getting frequent use out of the CP with a job and equally busy companion/family is difficult. I'm now in my 5th year of having a CP (not all consecutive) and I've never truly maximized its value the way I've hoped to. I looked at it as a way to make frequent short trips, like three-day weekends once a month, cost effective. In a two career family that seemed like the way to play it. But enough things happen that we travel only about half as often as we'd like.
Me too. I've had it for 15+ years now and my biggest utilization was 4x with 4 different people in 2012. It's a great dangling carrot for sure but much depends on your life's current circumstances to actually use. Earn it the hard way and you'll shudder about climbing back on the plane with the family for weekend trips. Recent retirees with 2nd warm weather homes is probably a sweet spot.

Last edited by joshua362; Feb 26, 2018 at 1:02 pm Reason: bad grammar
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
For the Mrs. and I we are usually coming from different places before and/or going to different places after our long weekends so we usually just end up using RR points instead. Once in a while we'll be able to use CP but not as often as I thought I would. It's still nice to have though for the 1-2 transcons or int'l trips we do a year though.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Reviving an old thread.

After ramping up my WN travel this summer my CP value = $600+ YTD by Labor Day. I could do a lot better but we don't fly WN to Mexico, Hawaii or transcon. And we tend to buy cheap WGA fares...
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:53 pm

Can I add an entry for worst CP value achieved?

Entered into a new relationship with someone Jan 2022. Named said person as my companion pass that same month.
Relationship ended before the first trip booked with CP.

I still had a great year traveling - scored 10+ good WGA redemptions. Long weekend trips booked in advance and re-fared when there were fare sales.
But yeah, said pass will likely expire in EOY 2023 for me with zero use.
joshua362, jmw and dlaue like this.

Last edited by Ragnarok; Jul 18, 2023 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 18, 2023, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Can I add an entry for worse CP value achieved?

Entered into a new relationship with someone Jan 2022. Named said person as my companion pass that same month.

I still had a great year traveling - scored 10+ good WGA redemptions. Long weekend trips booked in advance and re-fared when there were fare sales.
so - no new friends to travel with you?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 8:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Zero for me in 2023. Too many schedule demands and conflicts. Vacations tend to be outside California or at Ventana Big Sur (driving, not flying).
jmw likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
Can I add an entry for worst CP value achieved?

Add CP to the list of things for which it's best to wait til marriage...
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by m907
Add CP to the list of things for which it's best to wait til marriage...
Maybe not. Young children tend to interfere with impromptu getaways.
joshua362 and jmw like this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Don't feel bad or ashamed, I earned one every year, all the hard way, with BIS, 2002 - 2016. Only used it once or twice a year max, some years zero. Hard to climb on another plane with that much business travel, maybe to Disney once a year for the little ones, the annual vacation was a drive away in the mountains. My banner year was 4 different companions when I went on a concert and dating tear 10+ years ago. Gone are the days...

Its a nice shiny brass ring to aim for but you have to have the right life circumstances to make the most of it. Retirement earned with credit card bonuses. But it will never happen for me...
jmw likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 7:41 am

So far ~$1200 spent on flights this year, all with companion, another two trips on the books for ~$500. Only a real savings of about $1000 total, but even with Southwest struggling, they're better than Frontier and Spirit - we usually get a Luv seat, can get easy price matches if the price drops, and can even cancel easily if our plans change.

I'm not totally sure we'll keep it now that I can't top off with hotel stays, I will dearly miss it if we decide to finally give it up.

Edit: y'all know that the 'first comes love' rhyme isn't a mandatory set of instructions, right? The only baby carriage I've bought was for someone else's baby shower.

Last edited by synergistic; Jul 19, 2023 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marko123
For the Mrs. and I we are usually coming from different places before and/or going to different places after our long weekends so we usually just end up using RR points instead. Once in a while we'll be able to use CP but not as often as I thought I would. It's still nice to have though for the 1-2 transcons or int'l trips we do a year though.
Good thread revival. This from 2018 held true for me until Covid. Now that I'm not traveling as much for biz I could really use CP a lot more now for our leisure travel! Now we try to play with those little 2-3 month promotions they have and work some trips into those periods.

Last edited by Marko123; Jul 19, 2023 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 19, 2023, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We get 5-6 trips a year I guess. Will be working on 4th CP later this fall.
joshua362 and Boraxo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.