Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?

Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:57 pm
jmw

The CP doesn't work for us. I'm still working so I will have to return earlier when visiting family. I have two co-workers with CP that used it zero times.

I did manage to weave in one round trip for each of the two Jan-Feb CP promotions, but I had to try real hard to get those in.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 6:18 pm

My wife can work remotely, so she tags along as my companion on some of my business trips and works from the hotel; we go out at night. I also try to schedule meetings on FRI and MON and then turn the trip into a long weekend in that town.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
We are like many others, love having the CP, but do not use it a lot. Our use has been for long weekend trips that we might not otherwise take, usually fairly short distance, maybe 4-5 maximum a year. Have never used CP for trips to Hawaii or othewise out of continental US. The plan is always to do more traveling, but other responsibilities manage to get in the way. Still, we like having it for the times we can use it, and will keep it going as long as possible. It is one of the big inducements that keeps us almost exclusively on SWA, even with some rather unhappy recent experiences due to meltdowns, etc.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
We will end up saving about $1500 in 2023. I’ve already qualified for 2024 and hope to do a little better next year, but we are both still working and this is all leisure travel. We have two weddings that came up this year that we were able to use it for.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've had CP for most of the past 10 years. At first it was hard to get a lot of value out of it as my spouse (companion) and I both work fulltime. I used it a few times a year and got, say, $1500 value out of it each year. I put effort into finding more opportunities to use it, but my efforts alone were not enough. In the past few years my partner has warmed to the idea of traveling more often with CP cutting the cost of airfare almost in half. This year we are on track to use it on over $4,000 of flights.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:04 pm

My wife and I travel together almost 100% and we have averaged over $3000 in savings each year from CP. I have gotten CP from Credit Card usage only. Never having to pay for a ticket on the LUV system is awesome. The only concern I have is that I got $3000 worth of bump tickets this year.... which turns into $6000 worth of travel with the CP. My point balance has kept on growing... and I keep adding more points to keep CP. Somehow, I am making ALIST Preferred this year.... without paying for a ticket. I think the LUV vouchers helped. I am accumulating too many points and am concerned the value of them might not be as good if I have to use them eventually without CP. The flexibility on LUV cannot be beat! The value is astounding. My wife has mobility issues and travels with an electric scooter. The wheel chair service when needed and handling of our scooter have been phenomenal. No damage after many dozens of flights. Can't say enough about our Southwest experience and value!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ptcflyer
My wife and I travel together almost 100% and we have averaged over $3000 in savings each year from CP. I have gotten CP from Credit Card usage only. Never having to pay for a ticket on the LUV system is awesome. The only concern I have is that I got $3000 worth of bump tickets this year.... which turns into $6000 worth of travel with the CP. My point balance has kept on growing... and I keep adding more points to keep CP. Somehow, I am making ALIST Preferred this year.... without paying for a ticket. I think the LUV vouchers helped. I am accumulating too many points and am concerned the value of them might not be as good if I have to use them eventually without CP. The flexibility on LUV cannot be beat! The value is astounding. My wife has mobility issues and travels with an electric scooter. The wheel chair service when needed and handling of our scooter have been phenomenal. No damage after many dozens of flights. Can't say enough about our Southwest experience and value!
I really have to get back into the bump game!!
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
We get a lot of value out of it. My wife travels with me about 50% of the time. That influences our airline choice. My CP expires at the end of this year. We will apply for the cards in her name and hopefully get it for another two. We plan on splitting time between Scottsdale and Carlsbad next year so being able to use it for flights between PHX and SAN will save us a ton!
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: spg (Plt) Hilton (gold) Marriott (silver) WN (CP & A-listerP) Delta Silver AA gold
CP Over 25 Years

I fly alot and take my companion with me. Have had the CP for over 25 years and use it for quite a lot of flights. For 5 years both of us had the CP but now only one has it.

Having CP keeps me with SWA. It is a great benifit that keeps me flying SWA. This year have had other airline flights also due to limited SWA designations - mostly overseas and Alaska.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
I really have to get back into the bump game!!
I thought Southwest stopped bumping passengers.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by m907
I thought Southwest stopped bumping passengers.
they do not oversell.... but situations still come up where they need more seats. Equipment change, somebody else rerouted, crew that needs to get to the next city, etc.
ptcflyer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
they do not oversell.... but situations still come up where they need more seats. Equipment change, somebody else rerouted, crew that needs to get to the next city, etc.
Yup, I fly WN nearly weekly, and the last bump opportunity was almost a year ago. Very rare now.
jmw and dlaue like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
So far only $230.00 Unfortunately the places I want to go have at least 2 stops and I just don't have that kind of time.
jmw likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:45 pm

I don't know about $$ value but we have used CP pretty consistently about 5 or 6 times a year for a combo of leisure travel and for the spouse to tag along to occasional conferences with a desirable destination. That being said, to me the value has finally kind of run its course but was awesome when it lasted. We had specifically used the CP to narrow our vacation choices to places that SW flies nonstop from our home airport. Now as we have a higher vacation budget we have started doing more overseas vacations, for which SW obviously does nothing outside of Mexico/Caribbean. We are shifting our credit card spend over to different travel cards and will probably just rotate them for sign up bonuses and play the points game. As far as my work flights go I am not longer exclusively Southwest, only when it makes sense.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Updating - probably $1.2k this year which is not too shabby. Ability to change the CP 3x is really critical as I took different trips with my kids and Mrs. B.
In some ways this was even more valuable as we did a few itinerary changes and last minute purchases. But the higher fares have a lot less sting when you are only paying for one passenger.
Next year Mrs. B will have to CP which will be more challenging as she flies mostly solo trips on WN.

We could get a lot more value if WN had better options to Mexico from the Bay Area. But I am loathe to pay $500 one-way for a crappy connection via SNA/PHX that costs more than the UA/AS nonstops and adds hours to my travel time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.