Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?

How much value have you received from the Companion Pass?

Old May 27, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
CP, is like anything else, if you do not use it, you do not need it.

Wife and I use it for day trips, only bad thing is TSA, , but the jet is sure faster than the Arrow...Miggs is closed but MDW is open...so the loop is less than one hour away...
Old May 27, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by hoang53
Be careful if the primary can't fly the CP can't
Umm...that's the basic premise of CP.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, WN A-List
I have saved about $2200 so far 2015/16 with my first CP. Punta Cana, Cancun 2X, Puerto Vallarta, Orlando. All of my flights on points so just paid taxes on both tickets.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:35 am

a LOT. We didn't start traveling much till I discovered it...(been about 5 years maybe now) and each year we use it for at least 3-4 R/T flights..
Old May 30, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt life, SPG Plat li, HILTON, Diam, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PresidentsClub,Amex Plat 4.3 million
I own my own business and my wife is part of the company. I did the math and have saved over $35,000 in the last 3 years..
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:28 pm

Not sure if this is too far off the subject but if you change flights to same flights to take advantage of a cheaper price do you have to do anything to the companion that was added to the original flight?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by dmiz
Not sure if this is too far off the subject but if you change flights to same flights to take advantage of a cheaper price do you have to do anything to the companion that was added to the original flight?
From my experience you can't change it,you have to cancel then rebook. (Online)I've heard you can change it by calling in, but then you can't make any other online changes after a change made by phone- I always do it online(quickly) and rebook if the fare drops.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 1:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I can't put a cash value to it, but I can in terms of experiences this year alone:
1) San Diego - we then drove to Mexicali to see my boyfriend's (very old) grandparents. He hasn't seen them in years. We also watched the World Baseball Classic qualifiers
2) Costa Rica - First time boyfriend has been out of US/Mexico/Canada
3) Albuquerque
4) Phoenix - Spring training! We also attended our first NHL game

We're both big baseball fans, so we've been going to games:
5) Baltimore: Orioles game got rained out, but we were technically IN Camden Yards for a game
6) Denver: Coors Field!
7) Orange County: Angel Stadium!

We'll also be heading to Phoenix again next week to watch the Dbacks, and taking a day-trip to Oakland to watch the Athletics.

It is truly a privilege to be able to take day-trips.

P.S. Yes, we are using up the 110k RR points from the sign-up bonuses.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dmiz
You have to remove the companion, reprice, and then re-add the companion.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:40 am

Of course, there is the monetary value of the CP. How much money saved on the CP ticket. My guess is a couple thousand a year.

But for me...the true value is the extra family vacations I can book a year because of it (and RR points). Normally we never pay for flights and I trade time shares for the room. With my flights and room covered for only a bit of cash....then I can afford 5-6 family vacations a year.

Without RR points and the CP, this would probably only be 2-3 vacations per year and most would be within driving distance.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by solewalker
You have to remove the companion, reprice, and then re-add the companion.
ahhhhh I never tried this! next time (there's always a next time lol) this sounds less stressful than what I've been doing (have to grab the fare fast my old way)
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:23 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I've had a CP since I began commuting weekly many years ago.

Financial value is hard to pin down. To me, the real value is spontaneity. The companion can decide at the last minute to go on the trip or stay home. Getting the Companion seat is virtually never a problem. (Even on a full flight a seat will almost always open if you keep checking.)

Since I would not pay full fare for a last-minute trip, this flexibility is priceless.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:14 am

CP is so valuable to my family that we're working on a second one for next year with the other spouse as holder. It will be tight but worth it.

In the past 12 months, we have used CP for 8 trips, three of which were 3-flight trips. Love the fact that, for our family we have paid only RR points, taxes, and fees for these 10 trips. (Work paid for one family member to travel on five of these trips...Gotta get miles somewhere!).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was going to start a thread with the question: "How do you maximize the value of your CP?" but it seems like this one has some excellent ideas.

Unfortunately I find it difficult - as a working parent with children on sports teams - to take more than a few short weekend trips with the whole family (or alternatively with Mrs. B). But I like the suggestion of day trips or perhaps an overnight trip with a child companion, and maybe rotate the companions so as to be fair to each child. I suppose summer vacation presents some opportunities as well.

Welcome any other suggestions from working parents....
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:54 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I paid full fare for one of the last seats on a flight to see the solar eclipse. A few days before the flight I finally learned who would be accompanying me. I changed my Companion, looked several times per day until a seat opened up, and booked the Companion ticket. Granted, we might not have been willing to pay full fare for the other person, but it was pretty sweet to get a free ticket on a round trip selling for $700+.

In reality the CP was a major reason I paid that full fare for myself. Southwest knows that the CP promotes purchase of more travel.

My normal companion trips have a primary fare of $50 or less, but it's very convenient for the companion to be able to decide at the last minute to travel or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.