Southwest Airlines looking at Brazil

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:29 pm

Brazil is so very, very unlikely.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Terminator8
Do people actually eat food served in coach? If I'm on a longhaul in Y, I ALWAYS bring my own food, usually a gourmet sandwich and some type of side dish and/or white chocolate chip cookie.

I can't imagine ingesting the garbage that is served in Y.
I think most people eat it (or pick it the parts they like), but very very few allow it to affect their ticket-buying decision. It's just...there. It's not very good, and making it better than your competition's food is kind of a waste of time and money.

But there probably needs to be *something* there meal-wise on an 8-hour flight, just to prevent CNN and USA Today from hyperventilating about it. Especially given that the bag of peanuts is so associated with Southwest's original brand as a short-haul flier.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I think most people eat it (or pick it the parts they like), but very very few allow it to affect their ticket-buying decision. It's just...there. It's not very good, and making it better than your competition's food is kind of a waste of time and money.

But there probably needs to be *something* there meal-wise on an 8-hour flight, just to prevent CNN and USA Today from hyperventilating about it. Especially given that the bag of peanuts is so associated with Southwest's original brand as a short-haul flier.
Well I guess it would be simple enough to serve some turkey and swiss sandwiches to everyone.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well I guess it would be simple enough to serve some turkey and swiss sandwiches to everyone.
Honestly, that sounds better than most airline meals. A cold sandwich is almost preferable to the inevitably overcooked chicken or flavorless pasta most airlines have in coach.

In fact, turkey & swiss is often what I'll buy in the airport prior to a long-ish flight that I know doesn't have food.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Honestly, that sounds better than most airline meals. A cold sandwich is almost preferable to the inevitably overcooked chicken or flavorless pasta most airlines have in coach.

In fact, turkey & swiss is often what I'll buy in the airport prior to a long-ish flight that I know doesn't have food.
Agreed. Airlines should pick up some french baguettes in the morning, fresh turkey, and swiss. Serve them fresh on the plane and most people would be singing their praises.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think they will have ham & Swiss sandwiches or roast beef with cheddar cheese. It's their choice. Whatever they want to eat.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:14 am

Three choices!! Now we're gettin' gourmet!!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
I think they will have ham & Swiss sandwiches or roast beef with cheddar cheese. It's their choice. Whatever they want to eat.
Sounds like someone who not only isn't, but also doesn't even know any vegeterians (not even any pollo-vegetarians), to suggest that they only have a choice between a pork product and a beef product.

It's because of so many people leaning toward vegetarian that so many longhaul airlines have switched from a choice between chicken and beef in coach to a choice between meatless pasta and either chicken or beef. (There's been a similar shift in domestic first class, when there are only two choices, too.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:19 pm
Suspended

This isn't Panera bro
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the claim that started this thread was ever true, Southwest might be out of luck now. Norwegian, not Southwest, is going to be the first budget airline with service from US to "deeper" South America:

Cheap Flights to Argentina Will Be Available Soon Travel + Leisure
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Norwegian, not Southwest, is going to be the first budget airline with service from US to "deeper" South America
Southwest is a budget airline?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
No, it's not. Norwegian is a budget airline, but Southwest Airlines is not a budget airline. This is for Low-cost carrier.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Southwest continues to get preference in slot allocations by the DOT as a low cost carrier.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...xico-city.aspx

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...e-faa/5802771/
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
No, it's not. Norwegian is a budget airline, but Southwest Airlines is not a budget airline. This is for Low-cost carrier.
Budget airline and LCC (low-cfost carrier) are pretty much synonyms for each other (except that "budget airline" can encompass both LCCs and ULCCs)..

Norwegian is considered an LCC too, just an international one. Southwest is considered an LCC, but primarily domestic, with some international routes.

And remember, the word "cost" in Low-Cost Carrier (LCC) has to do with operating costs, not fares. Fares may or may not follow operating costs down. Whether they do or not doesn't change whether an airline is an LCC or not. Whether an airline is an LCC is a business model determination.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Southwest continues to get preference in slot allocations by the DOT as a low cost carrier.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...xico-city.aspx

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...e-faa/5802771/
Excuse me! There is no news release, but it was very old news. I don't see any news from Southwest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.