Oversize bag (dimensions)

Old May 2, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Oversize bag (dimensions)

I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience checking baggage that is oversize in dimensions? I'm planning on taking a boxed painting (so not overweight) although it will be 82 inches vs their 80 inch limit. The box is 41x36, so I'm not sure what the size of the opening to the cargo area is if that's a concern. I might be able to shave it down to 80 inches, I just have no experience with dimension limits, only weight...
Old May 2, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
75% of the time that I travel on Southwest, which is usually 1-2 times a month, I travel with a bag slightly bigger than 62 inches. I have never had a bag measured.

You are in a whole other league approaching the 80 inch limit. You do realize that you will almost definitely be charged the $75 and consequently you will almost definitely be measured. I would do everything I could to get down to 80.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
You'll get charged for oversize as it's over 62".

It will fit through the cargo bin doors (42x32). Crating it rather than a box would be safer.

Calling it a musical instrument bumps the max to 150 inches. And that special "Harp" flies for free as a bag. Read the limits on casing it and really consider a crate.
Old May 12, 2016, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Good tip on the musical instrument. They never measured the size, although did charge for being oversized (MCI). Kind of ridiculous when it's a 5 pound box, but whatever. One thing I hadn't considered was it wouldn't fit through the scanners, so they had to open to box to swab at security.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
Good tip on the musical instrument. They never measured the size, although did charge for being oversized (MCI). Kind of ridiculous when it's a 5 pound box, but whatever. One thing I hadn't considered was it wouldn't fit through the scanners, so they had to open to box to swab at security.
I wouldn't call it something it wasn't. The TSA frowns on that and can make things difficult.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.