Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points devalued again: 70 pts/$ becomes 72 pts/$

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points devalued again: 70 pts/$ becomes 72 pts/$

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 12:12 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Found 4 sAAver award tix in AA lie-flat business class from West Coast to Europe on AA during peak summer dates - and it was reported this opportunity appeared at several points this year. .
Same here. It was like turning back the clock 15 years to see practically the entire summer available.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Happy wife, happy life
"If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
Old May 19, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like the blogs have picked up on this. Hat-tipping each other left-and-right.

3 weeks after this thread started.

Welcome to the party, pal!
Old May 19, 2016, 11:51 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Looks like the blogs have picked up on this.
Starting right after I newsflashed it.

Seriously, subscribing to the newsflash thread is exactly what you should do if you don't have time to read the forum regularly.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
...Really no reason to keep or use a Chase WN card once you receive the signup bonus.
...unless you have the card for the purpose of burning points for gift cards or "more rewards".

I'm fortunate that my work travel booking BS tix has me always hit A+/CP. The 50k really wasn't a CP motivator as it was about 500 bucks worth of gift cards and access to another redemption tool for burning them off. I throw a couple bucks from parking or something on the card once and a while just to keep it awake.

I do use my Citi AA card constantly. That got me and Mrs. Wingrider RT to Italy this summer Business Class on BA there and 1st on AA coming home on points.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:05 am

Just booked an award that was 60 points/$. Did a few other searches and getting the same 60 pts/$

EDIT: 60 pts only when taxes are included. 72+ otherwise. Nothing to see here.

Last edited by gerald5; Jun 7, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:23 am

Are you looking at the base fare?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by gerald5
Just booked an award that was 60 points/$. Did a few other searches and getting the same 60 pts/$
gerald5 - Could you post the details? See the first post in this thread (Post Your POINTS PER DOLLAR (Pts/$1) Rapid Rewards Award Booking Ratios Here) to ensure that you are accurately computing the points per dollar. Many previous posters (and even professional bloggers) have erroneously computed this ratio (usually by looking at Base Fare + Excise Tax instead of simply Base Fare); so, as ursine1 notes, we're skeptical that the ratio you found is truly 60 points per $1 of base fare:

Originally Posted by ursine1
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
My bad, forgot to factor this in. Usually I use points on short-hauls so after taxes are factored in you get < 60 pts/$.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:38 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In the current fare sale it's easy to see incremental value of points. $54 fare is 2671 and $49 fare is 2336. 67 points per dollar on that extra $5. But if you count the 30 points you would have earned, it's 73 points per dollar saved. For A-List preferred (2x earning) it's 79 points per dollar saved.

Flexibility to change without having to deal with expiring funds is a big plus for points bookings. But now that Southwest has pushed me into learning how to use Avios to replace their overpriced summer trips I might change to relying on Avios for all the occasions when my plans change.

The CP qualification rules and A-list preferred rules have also induced me to book the entire Fall season using points rather than cash. All of my family members now have 3-digit points balances or less!

I have no trouble making 50 paid flights before September, but 100 in the year is impossible. So I will become a gamer and move hotel points on January 1 to earn my CP. Hey, you design silly incentives and you get silly responses.

Last edited by nsx; Jun 7, 2016 at 11:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.