Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

LAX International flights move from Terminal 2 to International Terminal May 17, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International flights move from Terminal 2 to International Terminal May 17, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite

I just saw this sign for shuttle service to Terminal 2 at LAX Gate 12. Anyone know when WN will start operating from T2? Does this coincide with international flyig ex-LAX?

The AC lounge in T2 is Priority Pass which now means an airside option for WN lounge access as well as airside connectivity to several international airlines from WN.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
On my return to LAX, I saw this Southwest plane parked at T2:

I asked a ticketing agent about the shuttle service. Apparently, the service starts June 4 to allow for connecting pax to fly to Liberia, Costa Rica. My seatmate on LAX-LAS came off that flight. The shuttle service will run between t1&t2 airside every few minutes. WN will also open a dedicated checkin counter at T2 in June for their international flight to allow for departures to occur from T2 instead of the current arrangement where the flight arrives T2 and departs T1.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
On my return to LAX, I saw this Southwest plane parked at T2:

I asked a ticketing agent about the shuttle service. Apparently, the service starts June 4 to allow for connecting pax to fly to Liberia, Costa Rica. My seatmate on LAX-LAS came off that flight. The shuttle service will run between t1&t2 airside every few minutes. WN will also open a dedicated checkin counter at T2 in June for their international flight to allow for departures to occur from T2 instead of the current arrangement where the flight arrives T2 and departs T1.

Any idea if you can clear security at T2, use the AC lounge, then shuttle over to T1 without being on a international flight? Or is the shuttle only in operation for that one flight?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
Any recent updates on international departures out of LAX? I tweeted at Southwest and they said that flights only take off from Terminal 1 but I swear International Check in was in T2 as recent as a few months ago when I was there last. I have a lot of luggage and two kids so I don't want to get dropped off at T1 and have to hoof it to T2. Any idea where international check in is as of now?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by kpott
Any recent updates on international departures out of LAX? I tweeted at Southwest and they said that flights only take off from Terminal 1 but I swear International Check in was in T2 as recent as a few months ago when I was there last. I have a lot of luggage and two kids so I don't want to get dropped off at T1 and have to hoof it to T2. Any idea where international check in is as of now?
Although I have not taken WN internationally, it is my observation that all the flights now depart from terminal 1 at LAX. When there is an international flight departing you see lots more uniformed personnel at the boarding area and on the tarmac around the aircraft too.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:14 pm

Arrivals moving to TBIT later this year

Apparently DL is moving all ops to T2-T3, which is going to set off a chain reaction. Perhaps pulling WN int'l departures out of T2 is a part of that.

Once the move happens, I read WN int'l arrivals will move to TBIT, which is a major drag. On a Y4 flight MEX-LAX in January, the plane arrived at T2 but the CBP checkpoint was closed in T2. Instead we got bussed to CBP check in TBIT, which added at least an hour to our arrival..
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by alevy
Apparently DL is moving all ops to T2-T3, which is going to set off a chain reaction. Perhaps pulling WN int'l departures out of T2 is a part of that.

Once the move happens, I read WN int'l arrivals will move to TBIT, which is a major drag. On a Y4 flight MEX-LAX in January, the plane arrived at T2 but the CBP checkpoint was closed in T2. Instead we got bussed to CBP check in TBIT, which added at least an hour to our arrival..
From KTLA in Los Angeles. 21 airlines moving terminals in May @ LAX. http://ktla.com/2017/03/21/21-airlin...rt-in-mid-may/
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alevy

Originally Posted by CalItalian
From KTLA in Los Angeles. 21 airlines moving terminals in May @ LAX. http://ktla.com/2017/03/21/21-airlin...rt-in-mid-may/
In that KTLA article is a chart which says Southwest International departures will be moving to TBIT too, but with a T1 check-in and then bused to TBIT.

While I haven't seen a list of which moves are May 12 vs 14 vs 16, I would assume that the moves from T2 or T3 to TBIT have to come first, to make room for DL to move from T5+T6 to T2+T3 after that. So I presume Southwest will move either (the night of) May 12 or May 14.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In that KTLA article is a chart which says Southwest International departures will be moving to TBIT too, but with a T1 check-in and then bused to TBIT.

While I haven't seen a list of which moves are May 12 vs 14 vs 16, I would assume that the moves from T2 or T3 to TBIT have to come first, to make room for DL to move from T5+T6 to T2+T3 after that. So I presume Southwest will move either (the night of) May 12 or May 14.
There is some conflicting information out there. This press release and map from LAWA say that WN will have their international departures out of T1, and only arrivals at TBIT. Either way, there shouldn't be any need for a bus ride, no reason one couldn't just walk over to TBIT after checking in. Though bus would be better for connections to avoid TSA rescreening.

As I understand it, currently they're doing international departures out of both T1 and T2. This makes sense operationally; if a plane arrives as domestic and departs as an international, it can just leave from T1. But when there is an international arrival into T2 and that same plane will turn back around as an international, makes more sense to depart from T2. This minimizes towing. If I were to guess what would happen after the moves, I would say they'd probably continue a similar split operation with TBIT replacing T2.

Last edited by Kumulani; Mar 26, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Kumulani
There is some conflicting information out there. This press release and map from LAWA say that WN will have their international departures out of T1, and only arrivals at TBIT. Either way, there shouldn't be any need for a bus ride, no reason one couldn't just walk over to TBIT after checking in. Though bus would be better connections to avoid TSA rescreening.

As I understand it, currently they're doing international departures out of both T1 and T2. This makes sense operationally; if a plane arrives as domestic and departs as an international, it can just leave from T1. But when there is an international arrival into T2 and that same plane will turn back around as an international, makes more sense to depart from T2. This minimizes towing. If I were to guess what would happen after the moves, I would say they'd probably continue a similar split operation with TBIT replacing T2.
TBIT is a long ways from T1 and TBIT is a large terminal. No way would that be the recommended way to get between the two terminals.

If you checked-in at T1 then walked over to TBIT, as unadvisable as it is, you wouldn't need to be rescreened, anyway, since you wouldn't go into the secured area at T1 to start.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:53 pm

TBIT is a long ways from T1 and TBIT is a large terminal. No way would that be the recommended way to get between the two terminals.
It's a personal decision, I'm sure a lot of people would prefer the bus. Personally though, as someone very familiar with LAX, I would walk every time. I know it takes a while, but in this case it would be wise to get there early anyway, since going through security at T1 and then taking a bus to TBIT wouldn't exactly be quick either. I absolutely hate airport buses. I hate waiting for them, I hate packing onto them since they always seem crowded. On the other hand I love the fresh air and exercise I get from walking, especially when I'm doing it in combination with a trip that requires my butt to be in a seat for hours. At many airports walking isn't practical, but one of the things I like about LAX is how easy it is to get around on foot landside, thanks to the layout and the weather. Also, I always check in online and rarely check bags, so I would usually end up just going straight to TBIT if I knew my flight was departing from there.

If you checked-in at T1 then walked over to TBIT, as unadvisable as it is, you wouldn't need to be rescreened, anyway, since you wouldn't go into the secured area at T1 to start.
Sorry, my post had a typo so was a little confusing. I meant that if I were connecting from a domestic flight into T1 to an international flight out of TBIT, I would probably opt for the bus so I wouldn't have to reclear security.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:31 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Is it in the long (or short) term plan to build an airside connector at LAX from T1 to TBIT like there is on the T4-8 side? Would be nice to eventually have that walking option for any domestic-international flights (or even for my own WN-DL booking!)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
Is it in the long (or short) term plan to build an airside connector at LAX from T1 to TBIT like there is on the T4-8 side? Would be nice to eventually have that walking option for any domestic-international flights (or even for my own WN-DL booking!)
Yes but don't hold your breath.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kumulani
Yes but don't hold your breath.
No, there is no plan to ever connect T1, T2 and/or T3 to TBIT.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:32 pm

No, there is no plan to ever connect T1, T2 and/or T3 to TBIT.
http://www.lawa.org/ourlax/files/LAX...escription.pdf

Page 18:
The proposed T3.5 ticketing building would be designed to accomodate a connection to a proposed future planned LAX Terminal 3 Connector between T3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT)
The actual connector is not part of the current projects (hence the "don't hold your breath"), however I find it extremely hard to believe that their ultimate plan is to have the entire airport connected airside except T3 and TBIT. Especially given that Skyteam including DL themselves will be using TBIT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.