Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What can a US expat do with extra RR points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA

There probably aren't a lot of foreign residents with Southwest points but I am a US citizen who lives overseas and got my points via Ultimate Rewards. Today when I was looking at our booking, I noticed the price had dropped considerably on a better flight time so I rebooked with no problem at all.

Now I have 5200 RR points that I don't know what to do with. We live in Australia and after this trip we probably won't be back to the USA for many years if at all. We don't need anymore Southwest flights.

I tried to redeem a gift card but got a message that I have to have a SW RR credit card which I don't have and don't want. I do have a Chase Ink, Freedom, IHG & United.

So what can I do with these points?

I'd be open to just about anything that offers some kind of value- earlybird check in, hotel booking, car, gift certificate.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:12 am
glg

do you have family/friends still in the US who could use them? You could book a cheap one-way for someone as a gift to help out on cost of a trip.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I posted a few days ago about an Illinois charity that will take them. Or contact Make-a-Wish or some other foundation that you like.

Not sure if WN waives the transfer fee in cases like this.

If you have a US FTer (or other) friend, make a reservation in his/her name. No fee for that.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Tiki
Now I have 5200 RR points that I don't know what to do with. We live in Australia and after this trip we probably won't be back to the USA for many years if at all. We don't need anymore Southwest flights.

I'd be open to just about anything that offers some kind of value- earlybird check in, hotel booking, car, gift certificate.
Hang onto them as situation may change. But points and cash don't work anyway.

Cost of giving them to someone else is higher than worth unless you can find a flight less than 5200 and book it in their name. If they cancel points flow back to you so it has to be a sure thing.

Or gift them to a non-profit with a call... WN has tons of charities willing to accept them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.