Wiki Posts
Search

6 month passport rule on Southwest question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
6 month passport rule on Southwest question

Hi, Can anyone tell me if they have first hand knowledge of the 6 month passport rule for traveling to Mexico on Southwest Airlines?

I have a trip booked to Cancun on Southwest on Thursday and I just found out about the 6 month passport rule. I’m only going for five days but my passport expires in July. Does anyone have first hand knowledge on how strict Southwest is with this policy. Will I be allowed to board the plane? I’m getting various answers from the airlines and on the web.
Also I don’t have time to go the regional office because they don’t have any appointments available until March 17th.

I checked the SW website and they have a link to travel.state.gov which is how I found out about the policy. However they also have a statement that says “For more information on specific requirements by country, click the country below.” When I clicked Mexico I got information on minors traveling.

Looking for help from the experts. Thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Whoever answers your question should also say what this rule is. I don't know anything about it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:36 am

A citation can be found at http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/mexico.html

Edit: if WN uses the same verification as United, you can fill in the specifics at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC . Based on the information you give here, it looks like UA would allow you.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
A citation can be found at http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/mexico.html

Edit: if WN uses the same verification as United, you can fill in the specifics at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC . Based on the information you give here, it looks like UA would allow you.
I did put in that info before I wrote here looking for answers and it said all was good. However from what I was reading that web page has not been updated with the new regulations. The travel.state.gov website says 6 months.
I hope SW uses Timatic but still worried since I'm not traveling on United.

I also tried a lot of different countries Italy, etc on Timatic and it still said I was good to go. So I'm not sure how true that website is.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Tmpy
I did put in that info before I wrote here looking for answers and it said all was good. However from what I was reading that web page has not been updated with the new regulations. The travel.state.gov website says 6 months.
I hope SW uses Timatic but still worried since I'm not traveling on United.

I also tried a lot of different countries Italy, etc on Timatic and it still said I was good to go. So I'm not sure how true that website is.
I wouldn't worry so much about the airline but the Mexican authorities.
Perhaps you should call a consulate.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Not many people do

Originally Posted by lougord99
Whoever answers your question should also say what this rule is. I don't know anything about it.
Not many people know about the rule but evidently you need a passport that will not expire for 6 months in order for you to enter many countries. Not sure how strict they are because every airline is different. There are so many stories on the web but I'm very concerned that I will not be allowed to board the flight even though my passport doesn't expire until July.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Airlines are in a tough spot, held financially responsible if a passenger is unable to clear customs and immigration. For this reason, they tend to take a very strict position on such matters.

Prior to 9/11, I was able to sign a waiver, assuming full responsibility for a United flight to Canada, we unfortunately live in a different world.

Why not renew your passport? There are 24 hour services available. https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...companies.html
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:11 pm

I can speculate that that time is set because 6 months is the longest you can stay without a visa (there being a 3-month rule for Schengen countries in Europe), and having a return flight booked is sufficient evidence that you won't overstay. But that's just speculation.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:04 pm

Ignore Southwest. It has nothing to do with it.

This is what you need to know: http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/mexico.html

And it states under Quick Facts:

PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Six months minimum validity required for entry
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:43 pm

It's Mexico, I wonder if having a $20 sticking out of your passport when you hand it over to the immigration officer would make the problem go away.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Contacted the Consulate

Contacted the Consulate and this is the response.

"Mexico does require a six month validity by law, however we have seen that Mexico does not apply that requirement strictly as long as the passport is valid."

So now what? I guess I'll take this email with me and hope for the best.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tmpy
Contacted the Consulate and this is the response.

"Mexico does require a six month validity by law, however we have seen that Mexico does not apply that requirement strictly as long as the passport is valid."

So now what? I guess I'll take this email with me and hope for the best.
Be very nice to the customs guys when you get in.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by rove312
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Ignore Southwest. It has nothing to do with it.

This is what you need to know: http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/mexico.html
1) Note that definite info should come from the Mexican government, anything on the state.gov site is just second hand info, which is most likely accurate, but possibly not.

2) Do not ignore Southwest, they will deny boarding if in their opinion, the passenger does not meet entry requirements for the destination.

To the OP, have you called WN yet? What did they say? Did you ask if they use Timatic or something else?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I went to Mexico City around Christmas 2015 with a passport that expired in May and neither Southwest or the Mexican immigration officer even noticed.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What the State Department says is irrelevant. What matters is what Mexico does on arrival. The email isn't going to help you.

WN does matter as it may deny boarding because if you are denied entry, WN will be fined an eye-popping amount of money (and WN will come after you for that amount) and WN will be returning you to the US.

If you are still Baltimore-based as your profile suggests, you can get your Passport renewed tomorrow at the Passport Agency in Washington. All of the information is online, the forms are online and the requirements are online. You will need proof of Thursday travel and photos which meet State Dept specs (which can be taken next door to the Passport Agency).

It's all about risk tolerance, but if you've got tickets, hotels and planned vacation, why risk it when there's an easy solution and you are going to have to get your passport renewed anyway?

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ashington.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.